C500. It's a load of pants. Trust me.

Guest bronksy

Guest bronksy

Ok..

Now all the excitement has died down about this device perhaps we can have a discussion about some points below...

As soon as there is a better option I'm going to sell this ass-suck of a phone to some shmo on ebay.

I've really tried to like this phone, but it's just not that great. Sorry to bang on about it, but it's just annoying.

The phone sits there, showing full signal. I then decide to make a call.. press the call button and... nothing, then i discover that it's not even been able to receive calls, let alone make them.

Switch off the phone, re-boot la la la and then i discover that anyone who has called me/text me hasn't been able to get through, even though, apparently, i'm in service.

Whatever the phone does, however small it is, this is a pile of absolute poo.

It also takes ages to lock onto a signal again after being underground for more than 3 mins. If you want to be able to 'call someone as soon as I get out of a tunnel' don't buy the C500.

Other times.. I make the call, handset thingie appears, but nothing happens. Sometimes I get 'Unable to place call'

I also can't see anywhere for automatic redial settings. Perhaps it's hidden somewhere in the illogical menu and inaccessible alarm.

YES it's been hard-reset.

YES it's the latest firmware.

I wonder if this is due to Windows or the rubbish electronics that HTC use.

Rubbish. When can we have a decent phone that you can get calls on AND use the smartphone feature

Guest richard_hogg

I would suggest a third possibility for your problem..

It's faulty?

Have you tried getting it replaced/repaired under warranty?

I've just had a similar problem with my work Nokia 6310i which after a swapout has been rock solid.

Guest Skunkchild
My collegue has the same thing, so drastically unlucky? I don't think so.

Me, my brother, my boss and three mates must be very lucky indeed then, no probs.

Guest scott2eyes

I used to have similar problems with my MPx200, but so far (touch wood) haven't had anything of the sort with the C500.

The occasional random lock up, but no call problems...

Guest xenophobe

I've been using cell phones since I bought my first Panasonic EB-3510 back in 1989. The Audiovox C500 is hands down my favorite cell phone I've ever owned.

Guest Griff_FFOC

Not really what you want to hear, but i've not had any problems making and receiving calls/texts either.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with it though. Obviously if it's not for you then a different phone may be the best option.

Guest stretchie

Well then.. There we have it, none too far from a definate answer YOU HAVE BAD LUCK

It's comparable Asia and rice, to Americans and big portions, Australians and surfing and even to Scallys and Burberry caps and Vauxhall Nova's....

How can so many people be wrong on a subject... Mate you have a DUFF phone...

No-one else has the problem.. sorry geezer, either get another replacement or a cup and string, maybe you can use that one.. ; )

Guest bronksy

have any of you got GPRS connected for a long time during the day.. i mean ACTUALLY connected, not just showing the G symbol.

I think this is the cause. YOu will also notice that you can't get MMS messages when online.

Useless.

Guest XanderD

ah well, it seems there will always be some people who get half functioning phones with problems.

its the universal truth...

As for myself, i am totally in love with the C500. i mean, please name another phone that supports OGG Vorbis players, Xvid movies, high-speed miniSD cards, DOS (yeah u read it correctly), FTP Protocol programs, E-book readers, Opera browsers, Quake 1 (Quake 2 even, although i havent tried yet) and which still looks, weights, lasts as long as a normal cell phone?

And i do get normal reception, no problems.

Guest inspectorgadjet

Mine is all good too. Haven't had any problems at all.

I have a sony Ericsson z1010 on Orange as well, and that had to be replaced as it was experiencing the similar symptoms you mentioned. The signal would be great, but as soon as the phone rang or I tried to make a call, the signal instantly went down to zero and I couldn't make or take the call. This also happened when trying to send text messages. As soon as I hit send, the signal would just vanish and the message would not get through.

I had the phone replaced after a few discussions with Orange. Admittedly, it took them a week to decide the phone was a faulty one, but they happily replaced it. And I don't have insurance on the phone.

Guest chucky.egg
have any of you got GPRS connected for a long time during the day.. i mean ACTUALLY connected, not just showing the G symbol.

I think this is the cause. YOu will also notice that you can't get MMS messages when online.

Useless.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. mine is on all day long (with Smart-Ease Always On tweak), and checking emails every 15 minutes between 7am and 11pm.

I don't use MMS at all (cos it's rubbish IMO, nothing to do with the Smartphone implementation of MMS) so I can't comment on that.

Lets be honest though, you haven't been happy with your C500 pretty much since you got it. A phone isn't supposed to be a hassle (which is why I ditched my E100 and E200) so I suggest:

a) Hard Reset and don't install ANY 3rd party apps. See if the problem is still there

:D Get another replacement

c) Cut your losses. Flog the phone and get yourself something new and shiny

Guest mkent_barbados

I had this happen once with my SP3i, and it is a REALLY BAD THING. You have no idea that you are missing anything as the phone shows a signal but is not connected to the network. Had about 5 messages from work by the time I figured it out. Hasn't happend twice yet though, so hopefully was a network hiccup.

Guest Chaser81

@Bronksy

I never had the problems you describe with my C500 before I sold it, had it for the best part of three months without such issues. I am going with what Chucky.egg said, sounds like you havent really been happy with the phone and are trying to convince yourself that its rubbish. Fair enough, if you dont like it, try something else. If you fancy another smartphone type thingy I recommend the I-Mate Jam, but if you would rather have something non-smartphone like but still loaded with goodies, I would say give either the SonyEricsson S700i a go or the new D500, both of which are very nice phones.

Sorry for your woes! :D

Guest chucky.egg

Yeah, one of the guys at work has a D500 and it looks very nice!

I noticed that the "Homescreen" on the D500 is an almost exact replica of the C500 default homescreen - presumably some sort of Orange branding exercise. It did make me think that is was a Smartphone at first.