MDA COMPACT - Free on T Mobile (UK) now!

Guest TonyLondon

Just checked again, yeah no free pc with the Compact - anyone who has one know if its gonna be easy to remove the TMobile branding? Im weighing up the option of getting one but not sure yet - put off by the network logo's etc

Guest SeaneyC

I got this off another forum:

So here is the procedure of getting rid of T-Mobile's customization:

The whole proccess means you will do a hard reset and you will be installing everything from the beggining! So if you don't want that to happen you have to stay with T-Mobile's customization!

Step 1

Hard reset your MDA Compact (power+soft reset). Do all the neccesary steps (choosing your country and timezone) and when you get in the screen that tells you to tap the screen in order to start working have your stylus at the soft-reset hole tap the screen with your finger and do a soft reset IMMMEDIAELY AFTER YOU TAP THE SCREEN!

Step 2

Your MDA compact will restart without any customization it will be a clean Windows Mobile 2003SE. With the file manager go to the Extended ROM folder that is now visible and install the following files:

Caller_ID_WWE_RC10.CAB

Camera_Patch_WWE_B15.sa.CAB

GPRSMonitor_WWE.sa.CAB

Java_10.1.2.57_WWE.CAB

MMS_2.0.0.13_WWE.CAB

MMS_Settings_WWE_NL.CAB (This file will install the settings of T-Mobile NL but if you don't install it and then change the settings to your providers settings most probably will end up with MMS that does not work. So install those settings and change them accordingly to your providers settings)

Patch_101123.sa.CAB

Version_WWE_101124.sa.CAB

Zip_Magician_T-Mobile_WWE_B12.CAB

Those are all the files you need to install. For those who need intellipad and intellidialer they will also have to install the 2 files for those programs.

Guest mike-oh

Jeez never thought i'd be able to afford one of these!

So for £23 a month and a one off fee of £20 i could have one of these bad boys with 100 cross network mins. Add £6 for 100 texts a month et voila £29 a month (minus GPRS of course)!! that's less than i pay at the mo!

Is there something i'm missing? This seems to good to be true (licking my lips in anticipation)!!

Edited by mike-oh

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

That looks to be the long and the short of it! Of course no-one has yet recieved a bill from tmob after using these people, but ah well, details details... :lol:

Guest mike-oh

I want!!

I don't use gprs much at the mo anyway, if they had an intermediate tarriff i might be interested but i'd rather not add on another £10.

Just one note, on t-mobiles website the relax 100 tarrif is only £21pm compared to £23 on that site?!? Why's that then?

Guest GothTeddy

I caved in and bought one :lol:

went for the 12month, 200min, +50txt & 0.5Mb...

GPRS is extortionate! no way in hell I'm paying a tenner for 6Mb :shock: no calltime rollover? tisk tisk...

fonesafe insurance sounds like a joke, "36 hours after your claim has been approved" and you have to POST them a claim form :shock: £25(then £50, then £75) excess!!!

I'll love the phone, but I can see me regretting moving to T-Mobile...

Good thing I have to keep my Orange contract arround for the next 4 months...

Guest yogi_bear

Just to let people know who maybe worried about ordering , the price plans are all correct, Ive phoned Tmobile and registered online where you can view your tariffs etc...

Heres a breakdown of my first online bill.

Price plan and other

£21.62

Price plan

Relax 100 (12) part charge 1/2/05 to 4/2/05 07931 3 2.53

Relax 100 (12) 5/2/05 to 4/3/05 07931 3 19.57

Everyone 500 OP (12) part charge 1/2/05 to 4/2/05 07931 2.42

Everyone 500 OP (12) 5/2/05 to 4/3/05 07931 18.72

Total price plan £ 43.24 Excluding VAT

Other charges and services

100 text messages part charge 1/2/05 to 4/2/05 07931 0.66

100 text messages 5/2/05 to 4/3/05 07931 5.11

100 text messages part charge 1/2/05 to 4/2/05 07931 0.66

100 text messages 5/2/05 to 4/3/05 07931 5.11

Total other charges and services £ 11.54 Excluding VAT

Price plan and other services discounts

100% Text Discount 1/2/05 to 4/3/05 07931 cr 5.77

100% Text Discount 1/2/05 to 4/3/05 07931 cr 5.77

50% Price Plan Discount 1/2/05 to 4/3/05 07931 cr 10.57

50% Price Plan Discount 1/2/05 to 4/3/05 07931 cr 11.05

Total price plan and other services discounts cr £33.16 Excluding VAT

total bill for both relax 100 and everyone 500 £ 25.00 including VAT

Guest Pondrew
I want!!

I don't use gprs much at the mo anyway, if they had an intermediate tarriff i might be interested but i'd rather not add on another £10.

Just one note, on t-mobiles website the relax 100 tarrif is only £21pm compared to £23 on that site?!? Why's that then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, as I understand it there are two monthly rates for each relax tariff. One for the twelve month contract and another for the eighteen month contract. In return for agreeing to an eighteen month contract T-Mobile gives you a discount on monthly rental. You're probably looking at the 12month price as opposed to the 18month price.

Guest Phil Lee

I just went to the T-Mobile shop in the Trafford Centre and they had an MDA on display. I didn't ask how much it cost and they didn't have any prices on display.

Edited by Phil Lee

Guest mike-oh

Can you add bolt ons mid contract? There's no point in me paying £6 for 100 texts when i get 600 free for the 1st 6 months anyhow! (if i opt for the 18month plan)

I doubt t-mobile would have any issues with me wanting to pay more mid-contract but i want to be certain as i am this "-" close to buying one!

Guest mike-oh

I just rang O and got my pac code! i'm inching ever closer!

I swear i was a magpie in my previous life, i've a certain fondness for shiny things!

Anyhow when i spoke to the guy at O he claimed it wasn't in there line up of handsets under review. Interesting. :-k

Edited by mike-oh

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Same here damn them! Should be at home tomorrow, so i just have to get my mum to sweet talk the post man to redirect it down here to my uni address ;p

Guest simonbailey

Hi all. I ordered one from scancom on saturday and received an email from them them this morning asking for my details, but was wondering if anyone else had received one as i'm a bit wary of putting my credit card details on an email when they've already charged it to my card. probably legit but thought i'd see if anyone else received the same.

Guest mike-oh

Hmmmm :-k

I filled in my card detail on line when i bought the phone.

They then phoned me about 5 mins later to get account number and sort code off me to set up direct debit.

But no email asking for any details.

Guest GothTeddy

Ditto, no email other than the order confirmation, guy rang me this morning to get bank details and confirm everything.

Got another call about 2ish cause he'd mis-heard half of what i'd said :D got it cleared up and had my shipping confirmation ten minutes later.

I assume you didn't put your phone number on the order form? or they couldn't get you on the number you gave? just mail them back with a good contact number and i'm sure they'll phone you first thing tomorrow :lol:

Gah! I stayed up last night so that I wouldn't miss the call from them - the way I'm going now, it looks like I'll be up all night to make sure I don't miss the postie! :D

Got plenty of Mountain Dew to keep me going, though I might be too tired to play with my new toy :(

Guest simonbailey

I put my credit card details on there site whem I bought a 1gb card to go with it . Will phone them in the first thing in the morning. Can't wait to get one now. cheers

Guest mike-oh
Gah! Heh, i want my new toy too!  Got to wait til Wednesday though :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me and you both pal! :lol:

anyone know any good BT dongles? sorry to pseudo cross post but will this do the trick for streaming media?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=48442

have an uneventful tuesday and a very happy wednesday! :(

PS: can we play with these things and give them their first charge at the same time?

Edited by mike-oh

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I have this one 43566 (put it in the search box on ebuyer). FINALLY got my c500 and m2000 to both BT Activesync with it over the weekend after god knows how many hours poking it. Bear in mind that the data speed of Bluetooth is only 750-odd kbps

As for charge and play - i always do when i get new phones :lol:

Guest GothTeddy
PS: can we play with these things and give them their first charge at the same time?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, you have to sit there and stare at it while it charges... taunting you with its shinyness! MUAHAHAHA!!!! :twisted:

:D

As long as it's on charge, I'm sure it'll be fine to have a play :lol:

As for a BT Dongle, I have an Epox - hasn't given me any trouble. That said, I do have a Mac, so it Just Works™ :( I remember it being a right pain in the arse under XP.

Guest mike-oh
Bear in mind that the data speed of Bluetooth is only 750-odd kbps

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

some of the other quotes i've read on this forum are well out then! mind you it's the same speed as my broad band which is pretty nippy!

think i might get the cheaper dongle! :lol:

Guest 12speed
Hi all. I ordered one from scancom on saturday and received an email from them them this morning asking for my details, but was wondering if anyone else had received one as i'm a bit wary of putting my credit card details on an email when they've already charged it to my card. probably legit but thought i'd see if anyone else received the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I ordered from scancom got a email just phoned the number in the email .....top bloke took additional details and phoned back to say phone is in the post should get it in the morning....no worries..............got my pac code ready ....sorry orange...