Problem I think with storage memory?

Guest ricmoo2003

Guest ricmoo2003

I just bought an I Mate Jam from Expansys, fantastic piece of kit, far superior IMO than my XDAIIs, but i have just noticed that my built in storage shows as only being 7.6MB in total, now i only have 2 resco apps installed into storage but i am only left with 4MB free, and also when i do a properties on the total device it says 28.63MB total storage, used 16.53, Free space 12.10MB

Now i thought I was buying a 64MB Ram / 64MB Rom machine, is this right or do i have a duff one?

I thought it might be something to do with all the operator stuff it must be storing somewhere as it gave me the option of installing all the stuff from any network provider until i chose O2 and it installed all the O2 stuff, where is all the Orange, Vodaphone etc.. stuff gone?

Can enyone shed some light on this for me?

Richard

Guest SeaneyC

Hello mate, the storage called \Storage is actually the free area in the ROM part of the memory. This term is a bit misleading, as you can actually write to it. It's a non volatile memory that will not be lost in case of a Hard Reset, it's the best place to keep your contacts backed up. It's not really supposed to be written to all the time, which is why it is called ROM i guess. The OS and the operator guff is all stored in there too.

The Ram part is what shows up when you go to Memory in the System tab under Settings, this is split between storage, and system RAM. You should really aim to keep as little as possible stored on the phone, as the OS and programs have to run in the 64mb of RAM, which will be eaten up if you start storing programs in there. Then your phone will get slow etc.. The phone would be better with 128mb RAM, but 64 you can just get away with, i've certainly installed everything i want at the moment, and haven't had any issues.

So do not worry, you do not have a duff unit, but it can be a bit confusing if you're new to PPC!

Edited by SeaneyC

Guest ricmoo2003

Thanks for the reply, i am far from being new to PPC's, i think i am just being a little thick this evening, i just noticed the memory info and worked it out, thanks anyway, 64 storage is really stingey, don't you think..

Cheers mate

Richard