Firefox

Guest J273

Guest ricardo the fish

I've been using firefox now for a while and it does appear to have less glichtes than IE,

But if people need more info there is plenty of stuff out there on the subject.

A quick search found this article : http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1754509,00.asp

It's a bit long but compares several alternatives to IE.

Hope its of use.

Guest xenophobe
Isn't Firefox safer just because it has scripting and ActiveX disabled or limited by default?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, Firefox is safer because it is Open Source, and once a bug or exploit is identified, dozens of programmers from around the world work to fix it, and the best implementation of the fix is applied.

Microsoft IE has security issues that have been identified for YEARS and have not been fixed.

Firefox fully supports RSS, CSS, and is W3 compliant.

IE has not been updated in more than 2 years for any other reason than to patch security hole after security hole that they keep finding.

Firefox IS superior, even though some sloppy coders and hacks only program for Microsoft, those kinds of sites are getting fewer and farther between, and most ALL Internet Explorer ONLY sites never pass W3 certification.

A lot more sites are writing specifically for Firefox/Mozilla browsers these days.

EDIT:

Firefox may not run on a few IE sites, but it displays sites FASTER, and more correctly, and according to the latest HTML and W3 certifications, is approved for use by CERT and is generally a much more stable and smaller application.

Edited by xenophobe

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

This of course just my experience, but Mozilla takes longer to load than IE for me. Also, on 1.5meg cable i notice little difference in the time it takes to render a page between the two.

And again with security, as long as you regularly patch your machine (this goes for ANY application) you will not have any security hole issues, i have not, ever, in years of using the internet. In fact the largest security issue in recent times with browsers affected ALL browsers on ALL platforms.

And finally, as for it being open source. If you want to download a "patched" version from Bob Hackers website, feel free :lol:

Guest ShaneBoyd

I tried to start using it this weekend, and it didn't work at all on my computer. Installation and setup seemed fine, but when i went to use it, it saqid ti couldn't find mozilla.org start or something like that. So, it looks like I'm sticking with IE.

Well the other day I was not a big fan of it because I could not do any of the cool features and thought it was kind of slow but this weekend a friend showed me all the cool features . . . and I am obsessed!!

Guest spacecowboy6982

Been using FireFox ever since Vector showed me a good while back ! Especially like the search engine and the ability to add others. Like some of you say, I believe it to "feel" faster !

spacecowboy

Edited by spacecowboy6982

Guest Drewtech

It will be interesting to see how secure Firefox really is when it has enough of a userbase to make it a meaningful target for hackers and virus writers. I use all Microsoft stuff. I don't get virus infections (apart from colds) because I keep them fully patched, I have security set to high, I have a firewall and I don't open anything without knowing what it is first.

Anybody who tells you that an application is totally secure is lying. Linux and Unix are full of security holes but there isn't the same interest in exploiting them. MS continually release patches to fix problems and personally I find that more comforting then if they didn't.

The issue with the US government was a few weeks ago whilst there was a known security weakness and no patch for it. This has since been patched so the advice is no longer warranted.

Guest Matt Kirby

Just to throw in my 2C:

I use Firefox as my default browser, and have been for a while.

As far as security goes Firefox has also had it's share of faults and patches (The Register, Friday), however Mozilla has a better reputation than Microsoft for fixing them. Also (at the moment) people are targeting IE holes, AFAIK any Firefox holes that have been found so far are more "proof-of-concept" than targeted attacks against users.

So even with Firefox you still need to keep everything patched and up-to-date to protect yourself from nasties- and even then be wary of clicking dodgy looking things!

In terms of using secure sites (any beginning with "https://") Firefox uses the same level of encryption as IE, as both adhere to the internet standards on security. It's worth testing with your bank though, the one that I use didn't directly support Firefox initialy, although it does now.

In terms of page-rendering and compliance Firefox is more standards compliant than IE and does render pages faster than IE - although you'd be hard pressed to really notice the difference. For various reasons (IE only optimisations, sloppy coding, non standard HTML (IE is more forgiving of coding mistakes)) some sites won't work with Firefox - although these are getting less and less all the time. I do my browsing in Firefox and open any broken pages directly in IE.

That brings me to one of the great benefits of Firefox - extensions. There's a fantastic growing collection of add-ons that increase the usability of Firefox, so you can tailor it to your needs. One of the ones I use adds a "View this page in IE" option to right-click menus- so if you do come across a site that refuses to work in Firefox you can throw it towards IE to deal with. Another great one is a spell-checker which is useful for posting on MoDaCo!

I would heartily recommend Firefox - it's worth playing with. After all it's free, and you'll still have IE to fall back on if Firefox is not for you.

Guest xenophobe
This of course just my experience, but Mozilla takes longer to load than IE for me.  Also, on 1.5meg cable i notice little difference in the time it takes to render a page between the two.

Initial loading of the application takes longer, because IE is loaded on startup. After Firefox is running, it loads and displays web sites faster.

And again with security, as long as you regularly patch your machine (this goes for ANY application) you will not have any security hole issues, i have not, ever, in years of using the internet.  In fact the largest security issue in recent times with browsers affected ALL browsers on ALL platforms.

WRONG!

20 of 79 identified security advisories are currently unpatched... one from the middle of 2003 is identified as highly critical, the ActiveX Buffer Overflow, and STILL hasn't been addressed by Microsoft. Merely PATCHING does not keep you up to date if Microsoft won't fix known security issues.

http://secunia.com/product/11/

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
Initial loading of the application takes longer, because IE is loaded on startup.  After Firefox is running, it loads and displays web sites faster.

WRONG! 

20 of 79 identified security advisories are currently unpatched... one from the middle of 2003 is identified as highly critical, the ActiveX Buffer Overflow, and STILL hasn't been addressed by Microsoft.  Merely PATCHING does not keep you up to date if Microsoft won't fix known security issues.

http://secunia.com/product/11/

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS02-005.mspx or something else?

IE is NOT loaded at startup. It does use components of Windows explorer, but so what, its still faster to load than Firefox. Any system with 256-512mb memory is fine with this.... And again, page for page, i see no difference in speed with Firefox than i do with IE. I notice more the fact that some sites are chewed up by Firefox...

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Difficult to tell as my 1.5Mb has just been upgraded to 3Mb cable (:D) but tresting fairly heavy sites side by side (www.anandtech.com and a random article) IE and FF seem to be fairly equal in dl times...

Guest Imacellphone

it might be faster, but thats probably just bc everyone has their cookies and history saved on their IE. even if you do transfer your cookies, there is a good chance it'll take a couple weeks to get all your sites down pat.

but frankly, i'll take a slower firefox in exchange for all the extensions that come with it. all in one mouse gestures....and autocopy unformatted text. sooo nice for researching.

Guest Matt Kirby

I'm sticking with Firefox as well- it's just interesting to see that someone has actually tested the browsers to check the speed, rather than percieved speed.