Did I say that out loud?

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping
  • Devices:Desire S
  • Twitter:@chucky_egg
Nah, it's really easy
It imports your passwords, favourites and stuff (if you want it to), and it doesn't look much different from IE

The "Tabs" are useful too - open the pages you visit often in "tabs" (like the tabs on an Excel spreadsheet) save the lot in your favourites and you're 2 clicks away from all those pages at once.
Even better, you can set that "Tab Group" as your homepage and it opens when you open Firefox.

ShaneBoyd

ShaneBoyd

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Work in marketing, but love all sorts of sports and tech.
It will import all my favorites and passwords? I din't know that and was wondering about it. I'm excited to try out the "tab" feature, I think i'll probably like that a lot.

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts

@ Monolithix:
I meant "by default" as in "the default initial settings you get after installing the software". There are lots of people who don't know how to customize the settings or what they mean, so they just use the "defaults"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're too lazy to learn how to use a piece of software then again, you get what you deserve. The only difference is that it won't prompt you when theres something dodgy. And it's not difficult to find the security settings (tools > options > security). There is absolutely no reason to be bugged by viruii or popups or anything like that as long as you are careful and don't blindly ok everything that you're presented with.

I still exist

beersoft

beersoft

el Borracho

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Interests:Beer, tech toys, sleep, more beer
  • Devices:2 cups and some string
mono,

shouldnt that be to stupid to learn new software or maybe to stupid to use software that even my cat can use safely

later

Owen

ShaneBoyd

ShaneBoyd

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
What's the deal with pop-ups on Firefox? Are they less prevalent. i rarely get them now with IE, but I wondered if there are generally fewer with Firefox or if it doesn't make any difference.

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
It doesn't make a difference.

I still exist

ShaneBoyd

ShaneBoyd

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I don't have a problem with pop-ups, i just wondered. Thanks.

ricardo the fish

ricardo the fish

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Devices:Touch Pro 2
I've been using firefox now for a while and it does appear to have less glichtes than IE,
But if people need more info there is plenty of stuff out there on the subject.

A quick search found this article : http://www.extremete...,1754509,00.asp
It's a bit long but compares several alternatives to IE.

Hope its of use.

Imacellphone

Imacellphone

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I just got started with Firefox last week and its been fantastic so far. I hear its more or less taking over IE...pretty crazy.

xenophobe

xenophobe

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Devices:Audiovox SMT 5600

Isn't Firefox safer just because it has scripting and ActiveX disabled or limited by default?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, Firefox is safer because it is Open Source, and once a bug or exploit is identified, dozens of programmers from around the world work to fix it, and the best implementation of the fix is applied.

Microsoft IE has security issues that have been identified for YEARS and have not been fixed.

Firefox fully supports RSS, CSS, and is W3 compliant.

IE has not been updated in more than 2 years for any other reason than to patch security hole after security hole that they keep finding.

Firefox IS superior, even though some sloppy coders and hacks only program for Microsoft, those kinds of sites are getting fewer and farther between, and most ALL Internet Explorer ONLY sites never pass W3 certification.

A lot more sites are writing specifically for Firefox/Mozilla browsers these days.

EDIT:

Firefox may not run on a few IE sites, but it displays sites FASTER, and more correctly, and according to the latest HTML and W3 certifications, is approved for use by CERT and is generally a much more stable and smaller application.

Edited by xenophobe, 14 February 2005 - 02:52 AM.

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
This of course just my experience, but Mozilla takes longer to load than IE for me. Also, on 1.5meg cable i notice little difference in the time it takes to render a page between the two.

And again with security, as long as you regularly patch your machine (this goes for ANY application) you will not have any security hole issues, i have not, ever, in years of using the internet. In fact the largest security issue in recent times with browsers affected ALL browsers on ALL platforms.

And finally, as for it being open source. If you want to download a "patched" version from Bob Hackers website, feel free :lol:

I still exist

Vector

Vector

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts
  • Interests:Arsenal FC SUCK!
  • Devices:i-mate JAM/SPV C500
I've been using Firefox since 0.6/0.7 and now i can't cope without tabbed browsing, i love it :lol:

Posted Image

Imacellphone

Imacellphone

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Tab browsing is one of the coolest add ons i've seen...its fantastic!

ShaneBoyd

ShaneBoyd

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I didn't get a chance to set it up this weekend, but I'm definitely looking forward to giving it a shot. Everyone really seems to like it.

Imacellphone

Imacellphone

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Have you all gotten the extensions btw?? the All in 1 mouse gestures are great too...this is the ultimate lazy man's (woman's) web provider

bbb678

bbb678

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
I actually just signed up for it today . . . I feel like it has been a lot slower than explorer. I will keep yall posted.

ShaneBoyd

ShaneBoyd

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I tried to start using it this weekend, and it didn't work at all on my computer. Installation and setup seemed fine, but when i went to use it, it saqid ti couldn't find mozilla.org start or something like that. So, it looks like I'm sticking with IE.

bbb678

bbb678

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Well the other day I was not a big fan of it because I could not do any of the cool features and thought it was kind of slow but this weekend a friend showed me all the cool features . . . and I am obsessed!!

spacecowboy6982

spacecowboy6982

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Interests:.::Everything and Anything::.
  • Devices:SPV C600
Been using FireFox ever since Vector showed me a good while back ! Especially like the search engine and the ability to add others. Like some of you say, I believe it to "feel" faster !

spacecowboy

Edited by spacecowboy6982, 22 February 2005 - 07:02 PM.

.::Orange.Branded.Shoes::.
-------------------------------------------------------
.::C600:SanDisk:MiniSD-1Gb:De-Cert::.
.::Glad:To:Be:Back:@:MoDaCo::.

Drewtech

Drewtech

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Guitar, Music, Computing
  • Devices:HTC HD2
It will be interesting to see how secure Firefox really is when it has enough of a userbase to make it a meaningful target for hackers and virus writers. I use all Microsoft stuff. I don't get virus infections (apart from colds) because I keep them fully patched, I have security set to high, I have a firewall and I don't open anything without knowing what it is first.

Anybody who tells you that an application is totally secure is lying. Linux and Unix are full of security holes but there isn't the same interest in exploiting them. MS continually release patches to fix problems and personally I find that more comforting then if they didn't.

The issue with the US government was a few weeks ago whilst there was a known security weakness and no patch for it. This has since been patched so the advice is no longer warranted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users