Newbie question: Registering plug-in in emulator

Guest tedp

Sorry for the newbie question here...I'm trying to get the sample "homescreen" plug-in that comes with eVC 4.0 and the Windows Mobile 2003 SDK up and running. It looks to me like when I compile the application with F7 and the IDE copies the DLL over to the emulator, the DLL doesn't get registered. When I use the supplied test.home.xml to view the plug-in, the area that should be populated by the plug-in is blank. Looking at the process viewer, I don't see that home.exe has homescreen.dll as one of it's subordinate DLLs loaded.

After reading the example specific instructions, I figured I should build a CAB file and use cestart.exe (as suggested in the documentation) to "execute" the cab. Unfortunately, cestart.exe doesn't exist in either eVC 4.0 or the SDK. So, two questions...

1. based on the symptoms, does my diagnosis seem correct?

2. if it is, how do I get the ()*&*^ CAB file to execute? I tried hitting directly from IE on the emulator (url=file://Storage/homescreen.CAB) but that didn't work.

The cestart.exe isn't available, it's wrong in the documentation.

The trick is: Create the .cab and place it in /temp

than open Internet Explorer from the start menu and enter the address "file:///temp/mywhatever.cab" to install

Regards

bruno

Sorry for the newbie question here...I'm trying to get the sample "homescreen" plug-in that comes with eVC 4.0 and the Windows Mobile 2003 SDK up and running.  It looks to me like when I compile the application with F7 and the IDE copies the DLL over to the emulator, the DLL doesn't get registered.  When I use the supplied test.home.xml to view the plug-in, the area that should be populated by the plug-in is blank.  Looking at the process viewer, I don't see that home.exe has homescreen.dll as one of it's subordinate DLLs loaded. 

After reading the example specific instructions, I figured I should build a CAB file and use cestart.exe (as suggested in the documentation) to "execute" the cab.  Unfortunately, cestart.exe doesn't exist in either eVC 4.0 or the SDK.  So, two questions...

1.  based on the symptoms, does my diagnosis seem correct?

2.  if it is, how do I get the ()*&*^ CAB file to execute?  I tried hitting directly from IE on the emulator (url=file://Storage/homescreen.CAB) but that didn't work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The cestart.exe isn't available, it's wrong in the documentation.

The trick is: Create the .cab and place it in /temp

than open Internet Explorer from the start menu and enter the address "file:///temp/mywhatever.cab" to install

Regards

bruno

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks...that did the trick. In my earlier effort, I wasn't putting enough slashes after file (only two). Now on to the next problem => my miracle of efficient coding doesn't work :lol:

Found another technique. Copy the CAB file to \Storage\windows\Start Menu\Accessories. If you access the accessories folder through the start menu, the CAB file will show up as an option. You can execute it from there.