Hard reset problem

Guest dazultra2000

Guest dazultra2000

OK, so I needed to swap sims over from one contract to another with my M2000. I took off the battery and did the swap and put the battery on and closed the switch, and the phone did a hard reset?!

The battery was off for no more than 10 seconds and backup was at full...

what's happened here?

I got mine yesterday and a similar thing happened to me when I switched batteries, though I only got hit with a soft reset. I had a look through the manual, but there is nothing on the process there.

Should you be able to change the battery without having to close down every running application? (because when you yank it off, the phone shuts down)

Guest dazultra2000

A soft reset is obviously going to happen lol. It's the same as having the phone switch off an on.

When I say hard reset, I mean back to factory settings, i.e. no data on the phone, clean rom etc (until the orange stuff kicked in and started installing)

It's not supposed to do this, and my old one didn't.

Anyone have any ideas?

(i closed down all my apps before I started)

A soft reset is obviously going to happen lol. It's the same as having the phone switch off an on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, I see. The manual makes it sound like the backup battery will keep it running. So, it only keeps the volatile storage alive then? I'd guess that something in your case corrupted something, causing all the apps to reinit. I've seen the same on my SPV; very occasionally when you reboot (usually after a crash) many apps return to their factory settings. I'd guess that Pocket PC also has some sort of self-fixing mechanism.

What's the best way to close apps? I've not experimented with any task managers yet, are there any worth recommending?

Yeah, seen that one. I was convinced that it wasn't showing me all the running apps though; just a selection. IIRC I had some open that it wasn't listing when I looked at it.

Guest Pondrew

Ok. You guys have got me thinking.

Is the common theme here the changing of battery? ie replacing an empty battery with a fully charged one? Could that be what causes the hard reset? Maybe going from a near empty battery to a full one is something it can't deal with...

The reason I suspect this is because I've never had my MDA III hard reset when changing the sim over and I've done it a few times. Was worried first time as I'd heard of this hard reset problem. Since then I've taken longer and long and it never happens.

T-Mobile don't supply a second battery so I can't test my theory but I suspect that changing the battery is the problem rather then the removing of the battery (we've all got a backup after all!).

Guest Pondrew
Yeah, seen that one. I was convinced that it wasn't showing me all the running apps though; just a selection. IIRC I had some open that it wasn't listing when I looked at it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Fraser, just noticed that you and I joined within 2days of each other! And whats more you're keeping up with my post count too! (well, almost :lol: )

Hey Fraser, just noticed that you and I joined within 2days of each other! And whats more you're keeping up with my post count too! (well, almost  :lol:  )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, another original SPV owner then? I was using mine as my main phone until I got my new M2000 this week. Quite an improvement, haven't put it down since!

WRT to the battery issue, I switched batteries today, first was down to about 35%. Killed all tasks, hit power to go to standby and switched relatively quickly. No problems seen.

The reason I switched at 35% was that it went down to 20% alerted me, then I docked it for a while. Then I remembered about the spare and switched the battery. Might be something worth watching, to see if there is a correlation with hard-resets.

I'll hopefully check out dynamo later, thaks for the pointer. I've got a task manager called PocketNav installed just now. Has a icon in the top right screen that has a drop down list with all your running tasks on it. Can switch or close any with one click. Seems pretty good!

Guest dazultra2000
Ok. You guys have got me thinking.

Is the common theme here the changing of battery? ie replacing an empty battery with a fully charged one? Could that be what causes the hard reset? Maybe going from a near empty battery to a full one is something it can't deal with...

The reason I suspect this is because I've never had my MDA III hard reset when changing the sim over and I've done it a few times. Was worried first time as I'd heard of this hard reset problem. Since then I've taken longer and long and it never happens.

T-Mobile don't supply a second battery so I can't test my theory but I suspect that changing the battery is the problem rather then the removing of the battery (we've all got a backup after all!).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. I didn't change the battery, just took it off to swap SIM cards.

Have changed the battery on mine OK too, as a test. Killed everything using the standard Control Panel task list, put it into flight mode and standyby and wasn't especially quick at swapping them over.

No problems at all (of course, when I really need to do it in anger it'll probably hard-reset on me!)

Guest Wozbacca

im sure your blue angel has locked up a few times or become unresponsive.

the way i've dealt with this in the past is to remove the main battery and hook it up again, power up and every works. job done.

i was in london for a party and wanted to test my mates bluetooth gps. i tried it with pocket streets as it was the only mapping software i had installed.

after 30 seconds of no button pressing the screen turned off as per normal. the only problem was that i couldnt get it on again. the device was locked, but the lights were flashing and it was still functioning only i couldn't use it.

so i removed the battery and put it back in again, only to see the faitfull "please tap the screen to align the device" screen.

basically, it'd done a hard reset and lost all my data.

i thought the blue angel can go 20 mins on the backup battery alone so all data is safe when swapping the batteries over.

has anyone else experienced this? luckily i had an orange backup with contacts in so i could still use it as a phone.

Guest Pondrew

There goes the spare battery theory then. Wonder if I'll suffer this sometime in the near future.

Fraser: Yep, loved my original SPV, especially being able to stand it upright and watch it 'walk' across the table when it vibrated. I upgraded to the E200 which I still use if the Pocket PC is less appropriate...

Guest andyr27
There goes the spare battery theory then. Wonder if I'll suffer this sometime in the near future.

Fraser: Yep, loved my original SPV, especially being able to stand it upright and watch it 'walk' across the table when it vibrated. I upgraded to the E200 which I still use if the Pocket PC is less appropriate...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This thread is depressing.

Finally set up my M2000. Wireless working, CoPilot GPS, etc then battery dies overnight. Put the replacement in - all data lost. Now I power up and it has lost all the Orange settings so I have a pure Pocket PC operating system.

Apart from battery clues - any ideas on how I save all my settings to 1Gb storage card because life is too short to keep setting up this device every other day.

Guest dazza12

To all you guys with Hard Reset problems when changing the battery.

The battery catch (ie the slider) holding the battery in place is also the switch between the main battery and the backup battery. Sometimes, if you aren't too quick in switching this over or it doesn't go all the way, it will cut all power to the internal memory, by the time the backup battery cuts in it's too late. It's happened to me about 5 times, and I always make sure I operate the switch quickly.

If I've got to switch batteries, I make sure I've done an xBackup to the SD card first. That way if it happens, I can just do a restore.

This is a design fault, I suspect the contacts on the switch are a little too far apart.

Guest dazultra2000
so i removed the battery and put it back in again, only to see the faitfull "please tap the screen to align the device" screen.

basically, it'd done a hard reset and lost all my data.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basically exactly what mine did...not handy. I've not tried again since - too scared.

Personally, I don't yank off the battery when things lock up. That's what the reset button is for, and there's a reason that the stylus is a perfect fit for it! And as the catch is also the switch, you don't have the risk of zapping the memory.

Perhaps that the difference. I've been doing some network tweaking to get everything working right lately, and I've probably hit reset about 30 times over the last day or two in order to clear the DNS cache and other things that require a reboot. Haven't noticed any problems whatsoever. And that includes several crashes with SSH clients that I just can't seem to get to work.

Guest Chaser81

One of my colleagues who has the XDAIIs said that there is a known problem with the XDAIIs whereby if you leave it's keyboard slid open overnight it will hard reset itself? Anyone else heard of this?

Could it be because the keypad's backlight doesnt switch off when the device is "Open", and so drains the battery to empty quicker?

Dunno. I've always found the keyboard backlight to be very conservative. It's only ever switched on when I've hit a key on it. No other keys cause it to light up. Plus, I've read of folk leaving theirs out to try this, with no repeat of the problem. It might only affect specific batches or rom versions.

Even then, the backup battery is supposed to keep the memory alive for 72 hours (in standby only, no power up allowed), so an overnight power loss shouldn't be all that bad.

Guest Wozbacca

does the rest button in the bottom just do a warm reboot? i read in the manual that pressing the reset button will wipe it. thought it was a little odd cos i used the reset on my old ipaq h5550 with no worries

Guest Pondrew
One of my colleagues who has the XDAIIs said that there is a known problem with the XDAIIs whereby if you leave it's keyboard slid open overnight it will hard reset itself? Anyone else heard of this?

Could it be because the keypad's backlight doesnt switch off when the device is "Open", and so drains the battery to empty quicker?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of the mods on here Will called for Blue Angel owners to test a suspected bug on the SPV M2000 whereby leaving the keyboard out overnight would cause a hard reset. No one responded (admittedly this was before the Pocket PC section took off...) until I eventually tested it with my MDA III. I repeatedly left the keyboard out overnight and the unit didn't hard reset once! Decided that either the T-Mobile version is more stable or that it's not a bug that will affect all units.

Do a search for posts by Will using keyword M2000 hard reset. Should produce the thread.

does the rest button in the bottom just do a warm reboot? i read in the manual that pressing the reset button will wipe it. thought it was a little odd cos i used the reset on my old ipaq h5550 with no worries

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is indeed just a warm reboot AS LONG as you don't press the on/off switch at the same time (because that WILL hard reset the device). Sure my manual did differentiate between the two (as mentioned it's an MDA III) so strange if yours says otherwise :shock:

Guest Wozbacca

ah ok, thanks for that. at least when it crashes again, i know i can sort it out with out loosing everything.

now if only i can stop betaplayer from screwing up the video playback, and sort the dhcp issue out, i'll be a happy man.