Application to Record Voice Calls

Guest Raven001

Guest Raven001

I could really use an application that records voice calls and stores them on my memory card. I know that I am not the only one who wants this functionality badly.

Many in the Modaco community seem to think that this is impossible, but I think we should see it as more of a challenge! Because I am not able to contribute with my programming skills (hah!), I'd like to instead contribute with my wallet. Let's start a pot.. I'll start it off:

I am willing to give $25 to the first programmer who can design an app that can:

- Record phone calls (incoming and outgoing) on the MS-Smartphone 2003SE OS

- Store the recordings onto the phone memory card

- (Ideally) Compress the sound-files into a reasonable size

I know that $25 is not an earth shattering incentive, but it is a start. My hope is that other users who want to support this effort will add to the pool. Collectively we can raise the pot high enough to interest capable developers and get the result we want.

What are you willing to contribute?

CURRENT POT: $300.00 USD

as of 4/23/3005

To clear up some confusion:

I'm not actually collecting any money now.. we're relying on people to be honest and pay up when the software is developed. Given the integrity of the Modaco community, I doubt that this will be an issue.

*Terms:

I'll cap the offers to a year, meaning anything developed before 2/30/2006 is eligible. I have no problems splitting the pot if programmers want to work in cooperation with one another. Developers who aren't interested in profiting are more than welcome to donate the pot to a charity of their choice. Did I miss anything here?

Edited by Raven001

Guest roma0803
The OS can record and process voice tags.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I thought, so that would provide an opening to start at... I would like a utility like that. I would have a use for it now and then. Count me in for $ 10.-

Guest Drewtech

Assuming that the voice recorder could be invoked during a telephone call - and it is not clear from the developers guide that it can be (in fact I don't think it can) - you would only get half the conversation because it records from the microphone and not the speaker. So you would know what you said but not what the person you were talking to said. This, I think, makes the application you desire impossible at the moment.

Guest Raven001

Thanks roma0803 :lol:

The naysayers are missing the point. If we already knew what it would take, this application would have been developed already!

Of course this is meant to be a real challenge, hence the growing pot. Any solution will undoubtedly require out-of-the-box thinking and creativity, not merely following the preestablished molds...

If people are SO convinced that it's impossible, why not put some money where your mouth is! :(

Edited by Raven001

Guest xenophobe
Assuming that the voice recorder could be invoked during a telephone call - and it is not clear from the developers guide that it can be (in fact I don't think it can) - you would only get half the conversation because it records from the microphone and not the speaker. So you would know what you said but not what the person you were talking to said. This, I think, makes the application you desire impossible at the moment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps this would only be possible while using speakerphone...

Applications and plugins CAN run in the background... so it could be possible to invoke voice recorder while using speakerphone...

It definitely would be interesting to see a well-versed smartphone coder try to do something...

Guest Raven001

Consider this: When you use the handsfree bluetooth profile, the phone is transmitting the sounds from the speaker AND microphone to an external headset.

I wonder if there is a way to trick the phone into sending that information to a program, instead, which could then record it?

I'm not a programmer and I know little about Smartphones... but I DO know that a little creativity goes a long way! Naysayers be damned! :lol:

Any one else willing to encourage this effort??

Edited by Raven001

Guest chucky.egg

Have any developers expressed an interest in trying to do it?

Personally, I don't think it's going to happen, but I'm willing to part with some cash if somebody's actually going to try - not if it's just going to sit in somebody else's Paypal account for a year!

Guest Raven001

To clarify:

I'm not actually collecting any money now.. we're relying on people to be honest and pay up when the software is developed. Given the integrity of the Modaco community, I doubt that this will be an issue.

Let me know how much you'd like to offer, and I'll edit the pot! :lol:

Guest xenophobe
Consider this: When you use the handsfree bluetooth profile, the phone is transmitting the sounds from the speaker AND microphone to an external headset.

Any one else willing to encourage this effort??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point.

Since the audio in/out are digital, the signal is processed. This can't all be hardware... if it is, you're screwed, but if the bluetooth drivers are all SP2003 driver driven, then this should be a possibility, but someone would have to be clever enough to reverse engineer the bluetooth driver, or have extensive knowledge of it... most likely inside information.

Perhaps a bluetooth mobile recorder would also be something to consider as well.

As for my "donation". I'll give it to the first developer when they've made a serious effort and has something working... regardless if it runs for 5 minutes or 5 seconds.... any working (if only for a few seconds) alpha would earn my money...

Guest roma0803
As for my "donation".  I'll give it to the first developer when they've made a serious effort and has something working... regardless if it runs for 5 minutes or 5 seconds....  any working (if only for a few seconds) alpha would earn my money...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I second that and hope for 5+ minutes :lol:

Guest chucky.egg
any working (if only for a few seconds) alpha would earn my money...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, not for me TBH

I'll put up $100 for a version that will record 2+ minutes of both ends of the conversation in reasonable quality, without crashing my phone.

But as I said a few posts back... who's going to develop it? $145 isn't going to entice many developers, and this topic needs a wider audience to find the developer who is willing to take it on

Guest Raven001

Thanks guys! The hope that, as we increase the pot, more capable developers will become interested. More publicity would be GREAT (does anyoe know how to get something stickied, or on the front page?)

If we wait to form a pot until we have an interested developer, we'd gbe stuck in a "chicken or the egg" situation. If the pot keeps growing as it has been, I assume that we'll have no problems enticing some talent :lol:

Guest markgamber

Well I can't vouch for every phone but I do have a Mitac 8390 and this is what I've found: There doesn't appear to be any way to directly connect to the incoming audio. That leaves out being able to directly record the side of the conversation that isn't you. I can't get the voice recorder app to record while a call is in progress but I was able to get it to record to a wav file using the recorder API while a call was in progress. This leaves one option, that being an app that would flip the phone into speakerphone mode or something similar and start the recorder, recording whatever reaches the microphone. It wouldn't be as nice as a phone that can record both sides of a conversation natively (my old SonyEricsson T610 comes to mind) but it could work and potentially be useful.

Guest chucky.egg
... an app that would flip the phone into speakerphone mode or something similar and start the recorder... could work and potentially be useful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Er, no! not for me at least, I don't know about anyone else

If I want to record a conversation I don't necessarily want everyone around me hearing it, and I expect the quality would be on the poor side.

Guest xenophobe

I was thinking about approaching Modaco to see if they'd be willing to have a Developer Forum Wish Pot... where people could contribute to various ideas they'd like to see implemented.

Many programs never earn people anything, but at least with this, I think it could give someone a little extra motivation.

Guest chucky.egg

Hmm, I just dug out Squall's old thread where he was trying to recruit a developer for a Spreadsheet application.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...9&st=0&p=553214

The project seems to be cancelled, and I suspect it was because of lack of bids (I've asked Squall, so maybe we'll see soon).

If projects like that, which are potentially very lucrative, get no interest then I can't see this one for :lol:

Guest MorphFx

Some very simple things to be implemented on the Smartphone, why are these items being overlooked by the big players? These items are not 'hi-tec' at all, but without them being thought of during the design process you gonna have a job half trying to implement them at a software level only!!!

1) IR Remote Control Capability / With learning mode!!!

2) Call Capture (as this thread suggests)

3) Lots of other things...

Obviously, when the technology advances we all want...

1) Digital TV tuner - So we can pick up freeview signals to watch TV :-)

2) DAB Tuner - Digital Radio :-)

3) Some sort of interface conversion ports - So we connect our Pc keyboards,mice,svga screens to the phone via some sort of adaptor

4) One day I want my mobile to be my PC base unit! (with built in games console, x-box3 mode hehe) - not asking much is it really? give or take a decade or two, i can see it happening!

Guest Drewtech
Some very simple things to be implemented on the Smartphone, why are these items being overlooked by the big players? These items are not 'hi-tec' at all, but without them being thought of during the design process you gonna have a job half trying to implement them at a software level only!!!

1) IR Remote Control Capability / With learning mode!!!

2) Call Capture (as this thread suggests)

3) Lots of other things...

Obviously, when the technology advances we all want...

1) Digital TV tuner - So we can pick up freeview signals to watch TV :-)

2) DAB Tuner - Digital Radio :-)

3) Some sort of interface conversion ports - So we connect our Pc keyboards,mice,svga screens to the phone via some sort of adaptor

4) One day I want my mobile to be my PC base unit! (with built in games console, x-box3 mode hehe) - not asking much is it really? give or take a decade or two, i can see it happening!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nearly 30 years ago when I was playing Space Invaders on the Pier in St Annes we would have died laughing if anyone would have suggested I would now be playing it on a telephone that I can carry in my pocket anywhere and that it will also take photographs and play music and etc. etc. So who knows what we will be doing in another 10 years. :?: