Mini Firefox for Smartphone

Guest Belgarath Krall

Guest Belgarath Krall

How does getting out of the Pocket IE camp and introducing your new Firefox friend to your smartphone. Well that's what this project is about!

What is Minimo?

The Minimo (Mini Mozilla) project is focused on code-size and runtime footprint reduction, and porting to small consumer devices. We hope to make Minimo the browser of choice on small devices, or machines with limited system resources; taking advantage of Mozilla's support for a broad and comprehensive set of standards and the variety of content on the web, proven security, international support, and cross platform capability.

For end users, the same browser you are used to running on your desktop and laptop will be available in a slimmed down form on your palmtop, but it will have full support for accessing the variety of content you are used to viewing. For content developers, the same set of standards based rich content can now be extended to a number of new users accessing the web over wireless handheld devices.

read more about it [here]

Guest ClintEastman

I have just had an epileptic fit!!!!! :shock:

I for one would like to see tabbed browsing on mobile devices, it seem perfect for the form factor.... Then again this is not firefox (eg i don't think it has tabbed browsing) but is using Gecko (nice rendering engine).

:lol:

Edited by ClintEastman

Guest agent.m
I have just had an epileptic fit!!!!!  :shock:

I for one would like to see tabbed browsing on mobile devices, it seem perfect for the form factor.... Then again this is not firefox (eg i don't think it has tabbed browsing) but is using Gecko (nice rendering engine).

:lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it has just not like opera

Guest Sogarth

Of course, it would probably help once they're able to move off of the Linux iPaq platform.... At the rate things are going, I wouldn't be expecting a SmartPhone port running on Windows Mobile anytime soon.

Guest ClintEastman
Minimo, the Mozilla browser for mobile devices, is poised to move beyond Linux PDAs and onto Windows CE devices, according to the Mozilla Foundation.

Current versions of Minimo work only on Linux-based PDAs (personal digital assistants), but a future version will debut this summer on Microsoft's Windows CE operating system, which is used on a variety of Pocket PCs and smart phones.

Lead Minimo developer Doug Turner posted the first development build of Minimo for Pocket PC 2003--which is based on Windows CE--on a Web site last week. Turner said he hopes to release a stable version later in the year.

"If you try the build now you will find there is a lot of Windows integration work that needs to happen," Turner said. "Another thing you will notice is the UI (user interface) for the application is terrible. I really need your input and Windows CE coding skills here."

Full Story :lol:

Edited by ClintEastman

Guest PayableOnDeath
Current versions of Minimo work only on Linux-based PDAs (personal digital assistants), but a future version will debut this summer on Microsoft's Windows CE operating system, which is used on a variety of Pocket PCs and smart phones.

its on linux now but will be on ms smartphones soon :lol:

btw where do you linux pdas from cos i havnt seen any :?:

Guest NerdENerd
its on linux now but will be on ms smartphones soon :lol:

btw where do you linux pdas from cos i havnt seen any  :?:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are Linux distros you can flash to an iPaq around.

http://www.handhelds.org/handhelds-faq/handhelds-faq.html

You wont see one down at your local electronics store, you will have to risk killing an MS one to flash your own.

Sounds pretty cool but I wouldn't bother. I am sure people who do these kinds of things are either doing it for the nerd "because I can" value or through thier irrational hatered of Microsoft.

(No that was not an invite to start an MS vs Linux flame war, I think Linux is cool and all, I am just an MS GUI dependant mofo who can't be bothered to be at the for front of the revolution!)

Guest Confucious

Isn't Windows CE what windows or PPC's used to be called - so it is being ported to PPC's which run as phones and NOT to SmartPhones (such as the Typhoon) Don't forget they are two different, non compatable OSs.

Or have I got it wrong?

Guest markgamber
Isn't Windows CE what windows or PPC's used to be called - so it is being ported to PPC's which run as phones and NOT to SmartPhones (such as the Typhoon) Don't forget they are two different, non compatable OSs.

Or have I got it wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I read in the dev stuff, Windows CE is the base on which everything is built. Tablet PCs, PDAs and smartphones are based on Windows CE and then each is expanded and tweaked according to it's primary function. Theoretically, as long as the CPU is the same and no hardware specific function calls are made, an app should run on a PDA and a smartphone. Theoretically because the screen sizes are so different that a PDA app would probably be cut off on a phone and the like. It would have to be a pretty simple app. .net apps are different because they are compiled into pseudo-code, not CPU specific code. A .net app written for a smartphone, therefore, should be able to run on your desktop as long as there isn't anything hardware specific being used. It'll be a small window on the desktop, but it will run.

Guest ClintEastman
From what I read in the dev stuff, Windows CE is the base on which everything is built. Tablet PCs, PDAs and smartphones are based on Windows CE and then each is expanded and tweaked according to it's primary function. Theoretically, as long as the CPU is the same and no hardware specific function calls are made, an app should run on a PDA and a smartphone. Theoretically because the screen sizes are so different that a PDA app would probably be cut off on a phone and the like. It would have to be a pretty simple app. .net apps are different because they are compiled into pseudo-code, not CPU specific code. A .net app written for a smartphone, therefore, should be able to run on your desktop as long as there isn't anything hardware specific being used. It'll be a small window on the desktop, but it will run.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tablet PC is built on XP.

Guest markgamber
Tablet PC is built on XP.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh, true....CE boxes were generally pretty snappy and user friendly. The table pc's pointer lagged so far behind the stylus that I couldn't use it. How that thing got past usability is beyond me. The point, however, is the same....there's all kinds of stuff based on Windows CE that doesn't say "Windows CE" because, these days, Windows CE is more a concept than a product. The last thing I remember owning that actually had "Windows CE" on it was an HP 620lx. That was years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I have tested builds 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 and 0.4 - loads VERY slow on i-mate SP3 and eventually does NOT work. Softkeys appear to be disabled and no other keys apart from 'Home' work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How have you been able to install ? I've downloaded the zip's and unzipped them. Couldn't find any install or setup task :oops:

• 1 month later...

I have installed Version 005 on my Magician (Qtek s100). It runs very well and quite faster than IE ! :)

Cheers

Hans

Edited by hrb

Guest Driekus

Just installed it on C500, the program comes up and everything, but nothing works, except the homescreen button and the red ("hang up") button. Anyone who has got this working on a C500 (pref. with tips?)?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.