Turning the M2000 off !

Guest jmcglynn

Guest dazultra2000
Thanks Farhad.    Yes, I already have that setup.

After going round and round in circles a bit,  I have finally realised what I'm after:-

A way of locking the screen (as Fraser suggests)  without having to wait for a timeout.    Bit like pressing * and # at the same time on a Nokia (I presume you can still do that on a Nokia).

Jim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, you can just set the timeout to 0 seconds :S then when you press the standby button it will automatically ask you for the lock code with no time delay...not ideal I know

And it's Menu then * on nokias. * and # was for old motorolas :D

Guest gibbo_ap
I agree with you on this actually - it's annoying. I think something like you find on MP3 players would be good...a "hold" switch, so that you can put it into standby and then flick the switch, and it disables the keys....would be useful.

I often put my hand into my pocket and accidentally press the button, and then the calendar or contact button gets pressed, and then the call button and I end up making calls to people I didn't mean to call!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes yes yes, it is annoying. the otherday on the stroll to the pub i decided to listen to some MP3s after deciding to change the track, i took my m2000 out of my pocket and found my self connected to the 'tinternet! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i did find a program that "kinda" fixed this. it was a keypad lock 4 pocket pc in general. but because the m2000 has extra buttons (start, Messages, IE & OK) these were not locked!

Guest jmcglynn

dazultra2000,

Why on earth did I not notice the 0 minutes time out ! Well, that's just about all i need really ! Top man. It can't be that easy, surely, there must be something wrong with this solution :-)

I feel like an idiot now.

Jim

Guest fraser
It can't be that easy, surely,  there must be something wrong with this solution  :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Should work, a lot of companies that buy PDAs in bulk for their employees demand security, so if there are any bugs in this area, they would not be impressed!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest shugsta
It may have just been me as the option is there now and I haven't installed Mortplayer! Time to get my eyes tested methinks...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use an open source app called BetaPLayer (An unfortunate name, this is anything but beta) Once installed there is an option in Settings > Select Page > Hot Keys where you can assign any key to the Screen on/off function. Works a treat for me.

Guest sprankine
It may have just been me as the option is there now and I haven't installed Mortplayer! Time to get my eyes tested methinks...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Urm...bit confused. i can see the option for screen toggle and full screen toggle on my m2000 but how do i then turn off the screen so that i can listen without accidently tapping icons...? thanks

Guest fraser
i can see the option for screen toggle and full screen toggle on my m2000 but how do i then turn off the screen so that i can listen without accidently tapping icons...?  thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You answered your own question; this is what screen toggle is. Saves batteries and accidental taps.

Guest sprankine
You answered your own question; this is what screen toggle is. Saves batteries and accidental taps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry - i dont follow. if i select full screen toggle or screen toggle how do i get it to stop accidental taps. Do i just click full screen toggle then tap the ok x in the corner? thanks

Guest RiceBurner

Anyone else found "Deltalock"??

it's just a little prog that sits on the top level of the screen and requires 3 checkboxes to be hit and an "unlock" button to be pressed before anything on the screen itself can be touched.

all I"ve done is map one of the outside buttons to this prog and as soon as I want to put the phone in my pocket I hit that button (I use the "windows flag" button) and in it goes! Doesn't interfere with any other apps - it just becomes the "current" prog - phone conversations are uninterrupted and everything. :D

I got it here : http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/deltalock.shtml

The only thing I'd like to see on it is a setup option where you could have a message or image displayed on the screen while it's locked. :D

Guest fraser
sorry - i dont follow.  if i select full screen toggle or screen toggle how do i get it to stop accidental taps. Do i just click full screen toggle then tap the ok x in the corner?  thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NOT full screen toggle, that simply hides the play buttons and shows the video in full screen.

Listen, why don't you TRY it and see what happens. :D You map it to a button. The button turns the screen off and on. A toggle, if you will. And when it's off, the only button that does anything is the same button to turn it on again, including screen taps. Kinda what RiceBurner describes, but for one app only and linked to a button. The one in MortPlayer also powers down the screen to save battery.

Guest jharvey00
Anyone else found "Deltalock"??

it's just a little prog that sits on the top level of the screen and requires 3 checkboxes to be hit and an "unlock" button to be pressed before anything on the screen itself can be touched. 

all I"ve done is map one of the outside buttons to this prog and as soon as I want to put the phone in my pocket I hit that button (I use  the "windows flag" button) and in it goes! Doesn't interfere with any other apps - it just becomes the "current" prog - phone  conversations are uninterrupted and everything. ;)

I got it here : http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/deltalock.shtml

The only thing I'd like to see on it is a setup option where you could have a message or image displayed on the screen while it's locked. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I periodically use deltalock but find it to be a bit too buggy for my liking. It becomes the "current" application by forcing itself onto other windows if they try and steal focus, thus locking the phone. However, if using deltalock and, for example, an alarm goes off (calender reminder, phone alarm etc), it will try to keep stealing focus back from the alarm dia box (causing a nice delay in system response) resulting in you not being able to disable the alarm or kill deltalock.

As an application its a nice idea, but could do with a bit more thinking in its design.

Guest RiceBurner
I periodically use deltalock but find it to be a bit too buggy for my liking. It becomes the "current" application by forcing itself onto other windows if they try and steal focus, thus locking the phone. However, if using deltalock and, for example, an alarm goes off (calender reminder, phone alarm etc), it will try to keep stealing focus back from the alarm dia box (causing a nice delay in system response) resulting in you not being able to disable the alarm or kill deltalock.

As an application its a nice idea, but could do with a bit more thinking in its design.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah - I've found the same.

Mind you - I'm using the 0.01 version - 0.03 apparantly kills the screen entirely and you use 2 buttons to get it back live - might help with the reminder confusion - I've yet to try it.

Personally I'd prefer the phone to stay "dead" until I've unlocked the screen.

Guest jmcglynn

I've installed v0.3 of deltalock, and it's OK, but i've stopped using it now bacause of it battling with a current app (as described by jharvey above). I've gone back to standard 0 timeout with pin no.

It would be really nice to find an app or hack that simply stops the screen from being touch sensitive (until two keys are pressed; for example). That way I can still answer calls using the hardware button, and still see all the reminders that popped up, and no let my cheek accidentally play with the phone whilst I'm on a call !

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest moo

Did anyone of you report this to the author? Yeah, he/she gives it away for free and probably spent a lot of time writing this app, but anyway - maybe we'll get an improved version then...