i-mate SP3i ROM Update now available

Guest puckster

Guest puckster

EDIT: Owners of the US 850/1800/1900 version of the SP3i should probably NOT install this update. It looks like the US version already has a newr ROM version as well as WMP10 which is not included in this update. Read below for details.

I have just checked the Club i-mate site and found the new ROM update.

So far there is only the 1.2.33.21 update for English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Turkish available so if you require either of the other two language builds you will have to wait.

Also, it doesnt actually state anywhere if the update supports both the 850 / 900 versions but i am about to install on my 900 so we'll see how it goes.

There is also a minor version update for the SP3i games package available - v33.21.1.3

The list of fixes isnt that impressive but at least its finally out

The main improvements from the original Operating System, 1.1.33.21, are:

Added features:

With the wired headset, you can now reject an incoming call by pressing and holding the “answer“ button for 2 seconds

With the wired headset, you can now answer a call that is waiting whilst you are in another call by tapping the "answer" button

Polyphonic MIDI ringtones are now supported

Corrections:

The Gaming API (GAPI) problem of screen freeze has been fixed

The voice and data call handling software has been updated to improve stability

The camera auto-exposure has been corrected so that the picture will not “white-out” in bright conditions

T9 improvements for Activesync email, Internet Explorer and the symbol table

T9 Portuguese included by default in the operating system

Improved cursor control and multikey press

There are improvements in menu translations for Italian, Turkish, French and Portuguese users

USSD services have been upgraded

Regards,

Chris

Edited by puckster

Guest puckster
So still no MP10?

What are the version nr in the about screen?

Any details on the full file name?

to update this screen:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?p...TyphoonVersions

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No they still haven't added MP10 :cry:

The versions in the about screen are:

Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Version 4.21.1088 (Build 14217)

Radio Version 1337.032_0.03.18

ROM update versions

Operator: 1.2.33.21

Manufacturer: 1.1.131.168

Microsoft: 4.21.14132.0

Language: 1.1.131.168

File System: 4.21.14132.0

Filenames are:

Rom update - RUUv1.00Inst1.2.33.21_CDLSKU1_1.1.131.168_ship.exe

Games update - SP3i_Default_SetupV33.21.1.3.exe

Chris

Guest puckster
I thought the SP3i shipped with WMP10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont think i-mate have released WMP10 on any of their devices yet.

I know the SP3i definately doesnt have it and from reading the foryms the SP3 doesnt either.

Guest Paraklas

No they haven't shipped any SP3i Or SP3 with WMP10 but I believe they will. I haven't seen any other company (Nokia/SE/Motorola) to offer free online upgrades to its customers as i-mate does.

Guest hb88xx
No they still haven't added MP10  :cry:

The versions in the about screen are:

Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Version 4.21.1088 (Build 14217)

Radio Version 1337.032_0.03.18

ROM update versions

Operator: 1.2.33.21

Manufacturer: 1.1.131.168

Microsoft: 4.21.14132.0

Language: 1.1.131.168

File System: 4.21.14132.0

Filenames are:

Rom update - RUUv1.00Inst1.2.33.21_CDLSKU1_1.1.131.168_ship.exe

Games update - SP3i_Default_SetupV33.21.1.3.exe

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My orange 4.1.1.4 rom show the same build nr 14217 but also under

microsoft and file system ,as where with you it says 14132?!!

cya

PS is i-mate application locked ?

Guest catman3
my sp3i has wmp10. what do you mean imate hasnt shipped out sp3is with wmp10??..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have WM10 for my SP3i as well. Perhaps those that don't have the US version are not preload with WM10?

I have WM10 for my SP3i as well.  Perhaps those that don't have the US version are not preload with WM10?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My SP3i is WMP9.

I Bought it in the UK in December.

Waiting for the WMP10 ROM upgrade but at least my joystick still works!

Edited by rpb

Guest gerd.holzhauer

Bought mine end December. joystick still works, too. Did the Rom Upgrade yesterday. The new Polyphonic ring sonds are nice.

Guest lrdiaz
I dont think i-mate have released WMP10 on any of their devices yet.

I know the SP3i definately doesnt have it and from reading the foryms the SP3 doesnt either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I purchased an SP3i yesterday, and it has WMP10. It is the US version 850/1800/1900.

Also, the ROM version is 2.0.33.31.

Leo

Edited by lrdiaz

Guest puckster
I purchased an SP3i yesterday, and it has WMP10.  It is the US version 850/1800/1900.

Also,  the ROM version is 2.0.33.31. 

Leo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, now i am confused, what the ^%$& are i-mate / CD upto?

How can the US version have a newer ROM than the update released this week as well as WMP10? I notice that prior to this new update, the SP3i download page stated that "Software for the 850/1800/1900 SP3i will be here soon". Now there is not one mention of software for the two different versions at all just simply "Download Operating System for i-mate™ SP3i". Have they scrapped the idea of separate updates for the different versions and just releasing a single software version for all SP3i's?

I am going to send i-mate / CD and email to find out what they are doing and why we cant have the newer ROM and WMP10 for our phones too and will post their replies here, although from my experience with the i-mate support i won't get many answers i'm sure :D

Chris

Edited by puckster

Guest catman3
OK, now i am confused, what the ^%$& are i-mate / CD upto?

How can the US version have a newer ROM than the update released this week as well as WMP10? I notice that prior to this new update, the SP3i download page stated that "Software for the 850/1800/1900 SP3i will be here soon". Now there is not one mention of software for the two different versions at all just simply "Download Operating System for i-mate™ SP3i". Have they scrapped the idea of separate updates for the different versions and just releasing a single software version for all SP3i's?

I am going to send i-mate / CD and email to find out what they are doing and why we cant have the newer ROM and WMP10 for our phones too and will post their replies here, although from my experience with the i-mate support i won't get many answers i'm sure  :D

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let us know if you get any info from them. I'm wondering the same thing especially since their online support has been telling me that some of my problems will be fixed in the new ROM released. Hmm....

Catman

Edited by catman3

Guest catman3
Let us know if you get any info from them.  I'm wondering the same thing especially since their online support has been telling me that some of my problems will be fixed in the new ROM released. Hmm....

Catman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is rather ridiculous. Here's my transcript with a club i-mate representative who abrubtly left my session. My 'subject' was "I have U.S. version of the SP3i, should I install the ROM upgrade listed on your website?".

See if anyone here can figure this out:

You're now talking to Mike

Mike> Welcome to club i-mate support. My name is Mike, how can I help you today?

Mike> Hi

Craig Rens> Hi, per my subject, what do you think?

Mike> yes,,

Craig Rens> Yes I should? Why is the ROM v. 2.0.33.31 then?

Mike> just a sec

Craig Rens> okay.

Mike> sorry

Mike> what ROM version are you refering to

Mike> the latest one is 1.2.33.21

Craig Rens> Hold on on sec...

Mike> ok..

Craig Rens> MY Operator rom is 2.0.33.31, Manufacturer ROM is 1.1.114.115

Craig Rens> Maybe I'm just a bit daft?

Craig Rens> That is what is listed on my 'About' page.

Mike> ok..

Craig Rens> Is the update related to the manufacturer's ROM???

Mike> well anyways the latest one is the one i refered to.

Mike> and you can download the lateset one

Craig Rens> Will this overwrite my Window's media player 10?

Craig Rens> As I understand that your *new* ROm does not contain v. 10?

Mike> yes it will

Craig Rens> Sorry, it will overwrite Media Player 10?

Mike> yes..it will

Craig Rens> Will it overwrite any other software that is resident in my current ROM version?

Mike> after the upgarde it will bring the device back to the factory settings

Mike> that means it will bring it back as how you received it new

Mike> clearing any third party software

Mike> and your presonel data

Mike> so i suggest you backup what ever you can

Craig Rens> I'm confused. When I received my SP3i new, I had Media Player 10 on it. But you're saying that your ROM update will clear that? I don't understand.

Craig Rens> Hello?

Mike> oops sorry

Mike> i confused it as the SP3

Mike> it has the player 10

Mike> sorry for wasting your time

Craig Rens> But the SP3i has a new ROM upgrade on your website as of 3/10/05....should *this* be installed on my US version or not???

Mike> yes..

Craig Rens> Okay, same question as before then, why does my phone have bversion 2.0.33.31 and will the new ROM upgrade overwrite WM 10?

Mike> that is the older one and the player will not be overwritten

Craig Rens> Curiously, as I'm going to post your responds to the forums at Modaco, do you know why the US version is listed as a v. 2.xx.xx.xx? as the upgrade is only a 1.xx.xx.xx?

Mike> 2.0****

Mike> 1.2**

The Representative has left the session

What would you like to do ?

* Print Chat Transcript

Select This Option print a copy of the chat transcript

* Leave a message

Click this option to leave a message and exit

* Close Window and Exit

Select this option to close the window and exit

Edited by catman3

Guest puckster

OK well that has just confused me even more.

Obviously the i-mate support staff that run the so called "live" support really have no idea about the devices that i-mate have.

I am really looking forward to getting a response from their email support now just to see if i actually get someone that can answer this question and let the i-mate users know whats going on with the multiple ROM versions that are around.

Chris

I have a US version as well (850) and noticed the same thing about one day the website saying 850 ROM soon, and now nada.

I emailed i-mate to see what they would say, but it looks as if their first line support is as a confused as we are!

I am glad to see I wasn't the only one wondering about this! The last thing I want to do is flash my phone with the wrong ROM and mess up my phone!

I just got the SP3i after going through the nightmare known as the MPX-220 :evil: and don't want to be without a smartphone for an extended period of time!

Guest ocker

Hmmm... Wonder if this ROM will work with the O2 XphoneII, since it's basically the same phone.

Or if HTC/O2 have a ROM int he works for that phone...

Although, going through the issues list that this latest ROM for iMate, I don't have many/any of those issues with the O2.

Guest puckster

I just noticed another post on this forum regarding the ROM upgrades for the SP3 (not SP3i). HERE

Apparently the Live Support person has promised the new ROM upgrades for the SP3 as soon as next week which includes WMP10.

As the current SP3i ROM update was released approximately 1 month after the SP3 update, maybe we can expect another one for the SP3i in the next month or so. :shock:

All this however is dependant on us believing anything the i-mate live support people say which as we have seen in previous posts, they seem to be complete idiots when it comes to knowledge about their own products and updates.

Heres hoping....

Chris

I finally got the definitive word on whether or not this latest update also applies to the US (850) SP3i:

"Thank you for writing in. Regarding your query, the upgrade file which is available on the site is not for the 850 devices. Please do not upgrade your device with the same.

In case of any further enquiries, please feel free to contact me, I will be glad to assist you!"

And this is from one of the support engineers at i-mate. I am glad I didn't try and be "adventurous" with my update.

And BTW - my SP3i DID come preloaded with WMP 10.

Guest puckster

It took over a week but i finally got a response from i-mate email support.

Here's their reply regarding me using the US version in Australia as well as WMP10 for SP3i.

-Thank you for writing in. Regarding your issue, the i-mate SP3i is a Tri-band device either (850/1800/1900MHz) or (900/1800/1900MHz); thus traveling form one country to another working on different frequency than that of your phone may cause your phone to stop operating in this region. only the i-mate SP3i US version (850/1800/1900) is supported by WMP 10. As for other devices we are working to release Windows Media Player 10, no promises and no specific date for release. Please keep regular check on i-mate devices for further releases and updates.

It does look like we may get the upgrade but not for some time yet.

And we keep waiting.......................................

I'm not holding my breath though as i did have the i-mate SP2 and there was only ever one update released for it and i-mate were always telling users that a 2nd update would be released soon (sound familiar?). Basically i bought the SP3i for the features and not the support. Knowing what to expect i guess i'm not as surprised as others about the quality of support we are all now seeing with SP3 and SP3i.

Regards,

Chris

• 1 month later...