How? SQL + .NET... help!

Guest Tech

Hi there.

I have such a huge headache. I have an SPV C500. I am a dev.

It's amazing that we have SQL Server for Windows Mobile.

1) How the HELL do you install it on the smartphone? I have installed SQL Server for Windows CE v2.0 from www.microsoft.com/sql/ce (links at the bottom of the page)

But nothing happens, i mean it installs on the desktop computer but thats it. How do i install it on the phone? I followed the help file but when i copy the cab file over to the smartphone, it says that the file wasnt designed for the device or the contents of it....

I am using VS.NET 2003 with .NET framework 1.1/2.0 to dev.

The other way apperently to deploy SQL Server on the smartphone is by adding a project reference "System.Data.SQLServerCE" - but no such reference exists, only System.Data

I have installed the smartphone SDK

I have installed the eMbedded tools package

I can run .NET apps on the smartphone no problem (like a hello world app, so i assume the smartphone has .NET Compact framework installed?)

but how do i put on SQL Server?

Thanks!

Guest Peter Foot
ok so i can add a reference for the System.Data.SQLServerCE but still, how do i install SQL Server for the smartphone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sql Server CE is not supported on current Smartphone devices. You'll have to look into alternative ways of storing data such as writing out DataSets to XML or CSV text format (faster and smaller) - see www.opennetcf.org/sdf/ for the OpenNETCF CsvDataAdapter.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

only just checked the reply - thanks!

well i figured this out - i added a reference in the project (system.data.sqlserverce) and basically i have to write the code to create db's and so on!

however, when making a new connection object, i get a missing method exception! any ideas?

This is when i am about to open a connection to the DB.....