New SPV C500 Sync and Charging Dock in Production

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

MoDaCo Member 'muddy250' dropped me a note to let me know about his new creation... a C500 Sync and Charging Dock!

I've posted a pic below of the first model, now available to purchase on eBay here.... bid away :D

Would you be interested in buying a dock?

Help 'muddy250' determine if there is a market for mass production by posting in this topic if you would be interested, and how much you think is a reasonable amount to pay!

:D

P

74_1_b.JPG

a6_1_b.JPG

Guest mavisdavis

Looks good. I like it alot. would it be to much trouble to incorperate a LED to establish a secure connection if the phones swithced off?

I think araound £15 is a good price and I would definatly have one. How does it fit when the phone is in a case for example the Krussell. Also the cable would look alot better black.

Or how about the option without a cable so I could use my LED USB Cables :D

Sorry I'm so picky :oops:

Edited by mavisdavis

Guest mavisdavis
The no-cable option is a good idea, just a miniUSB socket...

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No not mini usb cable you cant buy them in LED Version yet.

What can I say I like my pretty lights :D

Guest muddy250

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. It would be a problem to incorporate an LED as there is no circuitry involved in this design. The red/orange charge LED on your phone will still be visible even when the phone is off tho.

The dock is designed to take a phone without a case but there is a little clearance so a thin case shouldn't create a problem but as I don't use one I couldn't say for sure.

I had considered a cable free design but can't find the necessary mini 5 pin plug/socket combination I need to make one yet. That would be my favourite option if I find one, then as you say, you can use your own cable to connect.

Re- colour of cables...I had ordered black cables but got grey... :?: Can't seem to find black at a reasonable cost, dark grey is the only other option at the moment which actually looks very good with the graphite/slate colour of the base unit itself.

Don't apologise about being picky, it's the only way you'll get what you want!

Chris (muddy250) :D

Looks good. I like it alot. would it be to much trouble to incorperate a LED to establish a secure connection if the phones swithced off?

I think araound £15 is a good price and I would definatly have one. How does it fit when the phone is in a case for example the Krussell. Also the cable would look alot better black.

Or how about the option without a cable so I could use my LED USB Cables :D

Sorry I'm so picky  :oops:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Paul [MVP]

Just realised another reason a socket would be very cool... to plug in the standard charger, and use it as a charging stand on the bedside table rather than a sync/charge stand necessarily...

P

Guest muddy250

Yeah, I can see I'm going to have to make a bigger effort to find the parts I need! :D

Just realised another reason a socket would be very cool... to plug in the standard charger, and use it as a charging stand on the bedside table rather than a sync/charge stand necessarily...

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest muddy250

Me neither, just someone selling one for the SP3i but can't find the SP3.

Er, what? Where? :| I haven't seen a cradle in the shops?

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm definitely up for this. A few additions:

1. Any chance of making the cradle more in the shape of the phone? By the looks of it if I were to knock the phone it would fall off or disconnect. Would it be possible to put carry the plastic up a little along the sides of the phone?

2. The cable for me really needs to be black. How about offering two and charging more for the black?

How much btw?

Other than that nice work indeed, shame on Orange for not doing this!

I picked one up in a shop in Bath for a tenner.  It had "I-Mate SP3" with SPV C500 in brackets on the box, but it works like a charm :D It has a black lead too...

Which shop please and where is it? I live in Bradford-on-avon so Bath is easy to get to.

Edited by Guest

Guest xerxes
I'm definitely up for this. A few additions:

1. Any chance of making the cradle more in the shape of the phone? By the looks of it if I were to knock the phone it would fall off or disconnect. Would it be possible to put carry the plastic up a little along the sides of the phone?

2. The cable for me really needs to be black. How about offering two and charging more for the black?

How much btw?

Other than that nice work indeed, shame on Orange for not doing this!

Which shop please and where is it? I live in Bradford-on-avon so Bath is easy to get to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd buy one for £20 if it provided a bit more support for the phone. I've been looking for something like this since Christmas!

I do think the mini usb socket idea would be good too though.

Guest marc1919

I like the concept and design, and I definitely they could sell for up to US$29.99 - but probably closer to US$19.99. I can certainly see this as a designer accessory by the question is how do you want to sell it - through a distributor or your own website or even a Yahoo store. Any chance of you giving a step by step on how you made it? I think that it would be a great Howto: article for MAKE magazine (http://makezine.com/blog/) too. You might want to check out a similar company, except they make custom iPod covers and stands - www.macskinz.com

If you'd like to discuss the business of selling this email me directly at [email protected]

Guest Raven001

I will definitly buy one assuming

a) the base is nice and heavy (meaning it's hard to tip over and won't slide all over the place)

:D the cable is black (that white cable pictured is fugly!)

After that.. sign me up!!!!

Guest muddy250

The next cables will be dark grey, same colour as the base and yes it's heavier than the phone (125g) and doesn't tip. Is dark grey any use to you?

I will definitly buy one assuming

a) the base is nice and heavy (meaning it's hard to tip over and won't slide all over the place)

:D the cable is black (that white cable pictured is fugly!)

After that.. sign me up!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest muddy250

Thanks for the info and offer of help.

I might write it up but the method would be beyond home builders really, it was made on rapid prototyping equipment.

I like the concept and design, and I definitely they could sell for up to US$29.99 - but probably closer to US$19.99. I can certainly see this as a designer accessory by the question is how do you want to sell it - through a distributor or your own website or even a Yahoo store. Any chance of you giving a step by step on how you made it? I think that it would be a great Howto: article for MAKE magazine (http://makezine.com/blog/) too. You might want to check out a similar company, except they make custom iPod covers and stands - www.macskinz.com

If you'd like to discuss the business of selling this email me directly at [email protected]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Confucious

I saw this thread and thought "why would anyone want a cradle?"

I'm obviously in a minority here!

Good on you Muddy for finding what people want and actually doing something about it!

Personally, I wont be buying one but it looks like plenty of others will. Good luck :D

Guest TigerNet
You can already get cradles for the SPV C500;

I picked one up in a shop in Bath for a tenner.  It had "I-Mate SP3" with SPV C500 in brackets on the box, but it works like a charm :D It has a black lead too...

Same sort of construction as the cradles that came with the SPV E100/200.

Sorry to piss on your fireworks etc...

I have family in Bath...which shop?

Cheers

Nick

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.