mp3 playback on MPx220?

Guest clokan

Guest clokan

:idea:

hi,

i would like to know how employable is the mp3 playback, for example in comparsion with standard flash mp3player? does anyone use this phone for playing audio files or its useless?

thanks

Guest squall

it works fairly well, you could use it as an mp3 player if you had a big enough memory card. The down side is the effect on battery life

Guest clokan

i see.

fairly well means you cant tell the difference between normal player and the smartphone with the same headphones? if no, i'm gonna buy me one right on :D

the battery... have you tried for how long a fully charged battery lasts while only playing mp3?

Guest jmun2098

I USE IT AS AN MP3 PLAYER WHILE IM AT THE GYM.....I HAVE A PQI 512 MB MINI SD CARD AND I PLAY MUSIC ON IT JUST FINE..... IT DOES DRAIN THE BATTERY A LITTLE BUT ITS NO PROBLEM IF YOU ARE ABLE TO CHARGE IT OFTEN (FOR EXAMPLE A CAR CHARGER) BUT A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY EASILY LASTS ME ALL DAY AND I PLAY THE MUSIC FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS....REMEMBER THAT YOU HAVE TO BUY A 2.5MM TO 3.5MM ADAPTER TO USE REGULAR HEADPHONES YOU CAN FIND THE RIGHT ONES ON EBAY.......AS FAR AS COMPARING IT WITH A REGULAR MP3 PLAYER YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE....I HAD A REGULAR MP3 PLAYER AND IT DOES SOUND BETTER THAN THE PHONE .....NONETHELESS THE PHONE STILL SOUNDS GOOD ENOUGH FOR NORMAL USE.

Guest clokan

jmun2098: thank for your contribution to the topic, i wish Jamma14 would add something too :D but don't shout, really.

i quess there is no way to objectively compare the phone to a player, so i'll probably have to find some pal who's got the mpx220 and find out myself how does the thing play. or does anyone still have something to say 'bout the playback quality?

Guest Jamma14

Sorry man, but I just find "shouting" in forums kinda annoying. My mpx220 hasn't arrived yet but I can say that on my e100 mp3 playback I find is q good quality (good enough anyway) and I use it as my mp3 player. I reckon if you can get it for a good price you should go for it and a 512 meg mini sd card coz as well as mp3 playback you have all the other gr8 things the windows smartphone can do and it isn't much more expensive than a normal mp3 player.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest clokan

... allright...

i've been thinking, but i'm still not sure, if this pretty's gonna be my new phone.

could anyone who actually owns the mpx220 give me some info?

your experience, comparsion to mpx200 or orange c500... such stuff.

i'd be grateful ;)

Guest DontASK

i own a mpx220 an use it as my mp3 player. 1st there is not a difference to any other hardware mp3 player (i can compare it to the ipod mini i own and a hardware mp3 player by o2)

most of the time i use wma files for playback cause of the filesize.

got a 128 and a 512 minisd card for playback.

batteries are empty after around 4-6 hours depending on how often u open the celly and how loud u got the headphones. btw as a hifi freak i like the delivered in ear phones by motorola but i prefere sony headsets. 2.5 adapters are ok but some cheap ones are not that good.

Guest clokan

so u say that with the standard accesory headset the mpx220 plays as good as iPod mini? WOW!

so the only remaining thing that bugs me is that the display is slightly smaller than the one in c500.

:-({|=

... ok, guys. any other oppinion?

Guest nikjensie

About the screen size...

I had the same thoughts before I bought one... now I feel that it's one of the best screens I've looked at and I use mine for videos a lot. I don't even think about the fact that it's 0.2" smaller...

Nik

Guest dchester
so u say that with the standard accesory headset the mpx220 plays as good as iPod mini? WOW!

so the only remaining thing that bugs me is that the display is slightly smaller than the one in c500.

:-({|=

... ok, guys. any other oppinion?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought the sound quality was excellent with the Motorola headset, but it didn't fit well in my ears. I ended up getting an adapter to use other ones. The only issue that some people have had playing MP3s, is if you get a flaky MiniSD card. Some people have had issues with the Sandisk and RiData cards (although they work fine for other people). There haven't been many complaints about the PQI or ATP cards.

Guest Jamma14
I thought the sound quality was excellent with the Motorola headset, but it didn't fit well in my ears.  I ended up getting an adapter to use other ones.  The only issue that some people have had playing MP3s, is if you get a flaky MiniSD card.  Some people have had issues with the Sandisk and RiData cards (although they work fine for other people).  There haven't been many complaints about the PQI or ATP cards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You only get card problems with bad firmware. Get 1.25 from HERE and a PQI card and you'll have no probs.

Edited by Jamma14

Guest clokan

ok, these are also good things to know, thanks. only, i'm not sure i get what ,,flaky'' means. i suppose its an adjective from flake /corn flake, skin flake/ but in the relationship with memory cards...?

anyway, it causes problem while playing mp3 and thats the important part to understand. so when i'll buy a smartphone, i'll also buy PQI card.

by the way, can you guys get in your countries 1GB cards? i was able to find only 512s in our e-stores... /cz/

:?: that were the cards, mp3 seems to be allright ? ... so how about the screen? everyone satisfied with it? is it big enough for a serious movie?

Guest dchester
ok, these are also good things to know, thanks. only, i'm not sure i get what ,,flaky'' means. i suppose its an adjective from flake /corn flake, skin flake/ but in the relationship with memory cards...?

anyway, it causes problem while playing mp3 and thats the important part to understand. so when i'll buy a smartphone, i'll also buy PQI card.

by the way, can you guys get in your countries 1GB cards? i was able to find only 512s in our e-stores... /cz/

:?: that were the cards, mp3 seems to be allright ? ... so how about the screen? everyone satisfied with it? is it big enough for a serious movie?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only 1 gig cards I've seen for sale are Sandisk, and I'm not going to buy another card from them. By flaky, I mean occasionally, the phone won't see all the files on the card, but when you re-try, they're all there again. It can be a little annoying if you select a playlist and then it doesn't work, then you try a few more times, and then all is well again. Basically, some of the cheaper (slower) cards are what seem to have issues, although not for everyone.

Guest nikjensie

My final advice...

Get the phone, of course, try to find it for a good price (got mine from eBay at $300), but get it and you will most likely be a very happy customer. I don't think you will get much more advice that will help now... it's all up to you and what you like now, and you won't find out until it's in your hands...

Nik

P.S. I've never owned an iPod, nor listened to music through one, but I did work in a record store for 10 years and the MPx220 is a VERY good MP3-player to my ears...

Guest laskuh

dchester... have you tried reflashing? i had sd problems as well, but they were cleared up with a second flash.

also... aboout the audio quality. its respectable. its not an mp3 player and the quality is not as good as some of them out there, but for people who are not audio freaks, it will do just fine. i had a shuffle and sold it because the phone did exactly what i needed and had the same size storage. plus, you can incorporate wm player into your homescreen. and that freaking rocks. no switching back to the player... just controll it from homescreen.

Edited by laskuh

Guest dchester
dchester... have you tried reflashing? i had sd problems as well, but they were cleared up with a second flash.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't tried the 1.25 firmware rev, if that's what you are asking (I've heard it helps this issue). I had a couple other things I wanted to try first. The last thing I wanted to try, was to reformat the card on a camera, instead of via the card reader on my PC. I just got a friend to bring in a camera that used SD cards so I could try it. If that doesn't help the situation, I may have to resort to the firmware option (although I hate to do it as everything else is working so well on the phone). When the 1 gig cards are more available, I'll be getting one of those (but it won't be a Sandisk) and my problem will be gone for good.

Guest deuces_wild
I thought the sound quality was excellent with the Motorola headset, but it didn't fit well in my ears.  I ended up getting an adapter to use other ones.  The only issue that some people have had playing MP3s, is if you get a flaky MiniSD card.  Some people have had issues with the Sandisk and RiData cards (although they work fine for other people).  There haven't been many complaints about the PQI or ATP cards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dchester,

you said you changed headsets bytgetting an adapter... where and what kind of adapter did you get?

deuces_wild

Guest dchester
dchester,

you said you changed headsets bytgetting an adapter... where and what kind of adapter did you get?

deuces_wild

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got it on eBay for around $10.00. It looked like this.

post-63596-1115498508_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Darkening

Have anyone compared sound quality playback between MPx220 and Pocket PC like iPAQ1940, etc. I have MPx200 and iPAQ 1940. I want to upgrade to MPx220 because of sound quality on my MPx200 it terribly bad (but on iPAQ it sounds great) and I use my iPAQ mostly as a MP3 player, while I'm not at home.

I use SONY MDR-EX71 (these are really good!) headphones on both MPx and iPAQ.