cemail.vol file - corrupt - can't delete or rename

Guest shadamehr

Guest shadamehr

Hi all.

My Smartphone has been running out of memory lots of late, so I had a look, and my cemail.vol database file is weighing in at well over 1MB

So, I deleted ALL my mail/sms/mms etc from all folders, sent inbox, and stored... - I even used the Space Maker app just in case too.

There is NOTHING left.

Yet it still says well over 1MB for the cemail.vol file - thus I suspect its heavily corrupt.

So I tried the usual advice of deleting it - I can't as it seems to be locked.

So I tried the rename trick, and then a reboot, which creates a clean new file - I can't cos again, I can't even rename, cos its locked.

Finally I tried the database Viewer tool, DBview or whatever, and even that can't do anything with the database or even the individual records. Hence why I think corruption is the key here.

But that leaves me knackered.

I am stuck with a far too large, corrupt file, on my system, which NOTHING can delete - not File Manager, Smart Explorer, or even over Active Sync.

How the bleedin' heck can I forcefully nuke this bloody file into oblivion???

Help please anyone?

Guest awarner [MVP]

You can also remove the contents of the MAPI folder as this can also be a hiding ground for sent mesages etc.

As for the cemail.vol reboot the phone first then try and rename the file extension and see if that helps.

This should work otherwise it's a hard reset ;)

Guest shadamehr
You can also remove the contents of the MAPI folder as this can also be a hiding ground for sent mesages etc.

As for the cemail.vol reboot the phone first then try and rename the file extension and see if that helps.

This should work otherwise it's a hard reset ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now how did I dread that you were going to say that AWarner?

Alas, I've tried numerous times to do that - reboot the phone, then rename the file - and still no avail - so at least I know it sure sounds like it's corrupt now.

But a Hard Reset... ah bloody hell.

All this came about because my phone has been going mad recently, not letting me save incoming bluetoothed files etc - obviously cos it's a bit low on room.

But worse, it will hardly let me send on, any files I have, via Bluetooth - constantly saying "connection failed".

So I was toying with going back to the Nokia (sorry for swearing) 6230i now that it is out and my partner has one.

Until I found the large cemail.vol file and thought "hang on - this could be the problem, and if I sort this I won't need a new phone".

Hearing that I need to do a Hard Resset now has the opposite effect - sends me running for that 6230i instead *lol*

So someone - anyone, please tell me there is a sure fire way to delete locked system or corrupt file or a tool that can do this???

Please?

I don't REALLY want to go back to being a Nokia Acolyte again *lol*

Help?

Guest cold_fire
Now how did I dread that you were going to say that AWarner?

Alas, I've tried numerous times to do that - reboot the phone, then rename the file - and still no avail - so at least I know it sure sounds like it's corrupt now.

But a Hard Reset... ah bloody hell.

All this came about because my phone has been going mad recently, not letting me save incoming bluetoothed files etc - obviously cos it's a bit low on room.

But worse, it will hardly let me send on, any files I have, via Bluetooth - constantly saying "connection failed".

So I was toying with going back to the Nokia (sorry for swearing) 6230i now that it is out and my partner has one.

Until I found the large cemail.vol file and thought "hang on - this could be the problem, and if I sort this I won't need a new phone".

Hearing that I need to do a Hard Resset now has the opposite effect - sends me running for that 6230i instead *lol*

So someone - anyone, please tell me there is a sure fire way to delete locked system or corrupt file or a tool that can do this???

Please?

I don't REALLY want to go back to being a Nokia Acolyte again *lol*

Help?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My C500 has a file like that and so far as i know u cannot delete system files ,however i do not think that is the cause of your problems . :shock:

Guest shadamehr
My C500 has a file like that and so far as i know u cannot delete system files ,however i do not think that is the cause of your problems . :shock:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only indirectly mate...

The cause of my problems is probably simply well related to lack of free memory on the handset itself.

But a cause of this is the huge cemail.vol file, which should actually be tiny, as there is not a single message of any type, mail, sms, mms etc, in any folder, anywhere on my phone at all. So the cemail.vol file should be a very small file, not a huge one.

The fact that I cannot use the usual rename then delete trick etc, to get rid of it, additionally points to it being heavily corrupt somehow.

So I just wanted to get rid of it to see what effect extra free space had on the stability, and ability, of the phone.

Surely there must be some down and dirty sure fire tool for deleting ANY file on the phone???

Please? *lol*

Guest cold_fire
Only indirectly mate...

The cause of my problems is probably simply well related to lack of free memory on the handset itself.

But a cause of this is the huge cemail.vol file, which should actually be tiny, as there is not a single message of any type, mail, sms, mms etc, in any folder, anywhere on my phone at all.  So the cemail.vol file should be a very small file, not a huge one.

The fact that I cannot use the usual rename then delete trick etc, to get rid of it, additionally points to it being heavily corrupt somehow.

So I just wanted to get rid of it to see what effect extra free space had on the stability, and ability, of the phone.

Surely there must be some down and dirty sure fire tool for deleting ANY file on the phone???

Please? *lol*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may b right ,my cemail.vol has 204k and i have no message what so ever. I have tried 2 move it on storage card but failed ,than tried 2 delete it but failed as well ,tried also to change it's atribute though it was set on "archive" and couldn't. Sorry ... :cry:

Guest awarner [MVP]

Interesting I have just tried to rename and unlike the SPV etc I do not have enough privilages which may mean the the application unlock does not unlock the phone as much as previous models.

And the cemail file contains your sms and emails that you have recieved where the mapi folder contains those you have sent.

Guest shadamehr
Interesting I have just tried to rename and unlike the SPV etc I do not have enough privilages which may mean the the application unlock does not unlock the phone as much as previous models.

And the cemail file contains your sms and emails that you have recieved where the mapi folder contains those you have sent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So are you thinking that there might be a way around this Ash then?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Have you tried this?

Trim your cemail.vol (trick courtesy of creamynal)

procedure:

1. run active sync and make sure "allow USB connection" is checked in connection settings.

2. sync phone to pc

3. when connected explore to "\STORAGE" where CEMAIL.VOL is located

4. restart your phone(quickreset) without closing the active sync explorer and leave sync cable attached to your phone and pc

*when booting, active sync detects USB connection. the moment it connects active sync makes a notification sound

5. upon hearing the notification goto the previously opened active sync explorer then IMMEDIATELY select and delete CEMAIL.VOL

6. reboot your phone once again. when done successfuly you will get a FRESH 152kb CEMAIL.VOL

Taken from this post off airfagev site:

http://www.airfagev.com/forum_view.asp?msg_id=120810

I havent tried it though but someone replied it actually works on the C500. ;)

Guest shadamehr
I've tried this a few times now without any luck, this technique may be ROM related though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No luck here either...

grrrrrrrr.....

What a stupid carry on. Surely there is SOME way of deleting locked system files like this...

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Hmmm...

Notice the file attributes of my cemail.vol? Only 'Archive' has a check mark. Tanager cemail.vol is marked as 'System' file.

cemail15yp.jpg

If only we can only figure out the registry entry for the cemail.vol on the C500 then theoretically we could divert it to another valid cemail.vol file (from a different folder location) just like on the Tanager (ei HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MAPI\DbPath Value Data = \IPSM\cemail.vol)

:roll:

Guest shadamehr
Hmmm...

Notice the file attributes of my cemail.vol? Only 'Archive' has a check mark. Tanager cemail.vol is marked as 'System' file.

If only we can only figure out the registry entry for the cemail.vol on the C500 then theoretically we could divert it to another valid cemail.vol file (from a different folder location) just like on the Tanager (ei HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MAPI\DbPath Value Data = \IPSM\cemail.vol)

:roll:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now ya talkin' pzee - where do I sign up lol

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

There must be a cemail entry on the C500's registry...but PHM Reg Edit cant even look for it...phone reboots. :twisted:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest Islanti

Anything running on the phone that checks your emails or SMS messages will cause this file to be locked (i.e. in use). If you have a home screen that shows your unread count (pretty much every one I've seen), that's why you can't open this file. Use a home screen without SMS/Mail and don't open any other programs that have email / SMS features. Then it should be possible to delete this file.

That said, I'm not sure you're on the right track. The messaging app may have those files marked to be deleted, but not actually removed. You can try deleting the created account(s), which should clear all the data associated with the account(s).

In your situation, I'd go through via Activesync's "Explore" option and try to figure out where all the space on my device went. CEMAIL.VOL is, as you said, only 1MB. Where's the rest of your space?

I'm forced to have FizzTraveller in main memory, eating up 2MB of RAM. Everything else is on the storage card. At boot I have over 20MB out of 32MB free. I'm just making sure everything that can go onto the storage card does.

• 2 years later...
Guest nerob
Anything running on the phone that checks your emails or SMS messages will cause this file to be locked (i.e. in use). If you have a home screen that shows your unread count (pretty much every one I've seen), that's why you can't open this file. Use a home screen without SMS/Mail and don't open any other programs that have email / SMS features. Then it should be possible to delete this file.

That said, I'm not sure you're on the right track. The messaging app may have those files marked to be deleted, but not actually removed. You can try deleting the created account(s), which should clear all the data associated with the account(s).

In your situation, I'd go through via Activesync's "Explore" option and try to figure out where all the space on my device went. CEMAIL.VOL is, as you said, only 1MB. Where's the rest of your space?

I'm forced to have FizzTraveller in main memory, eating up 2MB of RAM. Everything else is on the storage card. At boot I have over 20MB out of 32MB free. I'm just making sure everything that can go onto the storage card does.

I found that is the right idea:

First of all: Delete all your messages in the Mail, SMS, MMS etc. folders you don´t need no more, don´t forget the "send" and "deleted" folders.

This ensures you will get a minimized CEMAIL.VOL.

Second: change the Today Screen to Windows minimal.

Third just reboot and look - don´t know if this reboot is realy needed - but after this: The CEMAIL.VOL is minimized from the system by itself.

No need to rename or delete.

:D

• 8 months later...
Guest Sri Ramachandran
I found that is the right idea:

First of all: Delete all your messages in the Mail, SMS, MMS etc. folders you don´t need no more, don´t forget the "send" and "deleted" folders.

This ensures you will get a minimized CEMAIL.VOL.

Second: change the Today Screen to Windows minimal.

Third just reboot and look - don´t know if this reboot is realy needed - but after this: The CEMAIL.VOL is minimized from the system by itself.

No need to rename or delete.

:rolleyes:

Well, I tried it and the other techniques mentioned before (reboot while ActiveSync etc.) and it didn't really work. I have a T-Mobile Wing with this cemail.vol corruption. I have deleted all SMS, emails. Whenever I reboot, the phone still says I have 2078 email messages [when it got corrupt].

Any help is appreciated.

SR

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest tobbbie

Have you tried sktools? See www.skkvsoftware.com - there is also a freeware version. The interface is a little off the normal way, but it is very powerful. Several cleanup and delete options.

Edited by tobbbie