Orange UK C500 Update Imminent

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Well, I hadn't heard anything previously... but Orange have now confirmed that an update for UK C500s featuring Windows Media Player 10 and very similar to the French Update IS IMMINENT!

We will of course let you know as soon as it's available, and give you the lowdown... watch this space ;)

P

post-1-1113924640.gif

Guest muddy250
Er, that's me re-using your screenshot squall you doofus ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good news, I don't have to risk messing things up with the french version then!

Guest Confused Stu

Presumably Orange UK are having to spend the time adjusting the French update for English audiences - correcting to proper grammar, de-greasing it and trying to remove the whiff of garlic from the phone post-update......

(Cue lots of "Xenophobe!" abuse) ;)

Guest darnovitz
Well, I hadn't heard anything previously... but Orange have now confirmed that an update for UK C500s featuring Windows Media Player 10 and very similar to the French Update IS IMMINENT!

We will of course let you know as soon as it's available, and give you the lowdown... watch this space ;)

P

post-1-1113924640.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paul, just successfully updated my C500 (UK IMEI Unlocked, using my U.S. TMobile SIM card)!!!! It works perfectly, except I've noticed if you use the GPRS, the GPRS icon stays on, until you reboot the phone. Regardless, I'm very pleased that I performed the esoteric upgrade. Another member's information helped, as well [ian]. Thanks and if you hear of anything to fix the GPRS icon, please pass it on.

Guest drblow

He he! ;) I've been holding off on doing the french update in the hopes that this might happen! Although, it'll porbably be another 3 months before we hear anything! :D

Guest darnovitz
Install and run this:

http://www.modaco.com/Shell_Orange_13_is_a...109918-s20.html

And you can change the persistence of the GPRS connection (as well as turning on ClearType!)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paul, thank you so much for your response, support and feedback!!!

The only serious problem that I've encountered, is the GPRS doesn't work, after carefully reconfiguring it. I can't access the internet, anymore..

Guest bluesmudge

this doesn't effect me as i have a shiney new c500 with the current UK rom on - but will the french users be able to change to English ROM?

And who spoke to Orange about this - is there any proof of the UK rom? especially after i saw a post by another user who asked Orange about the UK update and they claimed to have no plans. Do we know if Orange are under a deal to release this news to certain people first?

Guest Mike_MK
this doesn't effect me as i have a shiney new c500 with the current UK rom on - but will the french users be able to change to English ROM?

And who spoke to Orange about this - is there any proof of the UK rom? especially after i saw a post by another user who asked Orange about the UK update and they claimed to have no plans. Do we know if Orange are under a deal to release this news to certain people first?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AFAIK, this will effect you. The ROM hasn't been released yet, which means you don't have the upgraded ROM. You do have the current ROM, but this is discussing the possible upcoming release of an upgraded version (feat. WMP10, etc).

Bring on the update please!!!!

Guest bluesmudge
AFAIK, this will effect you. The ROM hasn't been released yet, which means you don't have the upgraded ROM. You do have the current ROM, but this is discussing the possible upcoming release of an upgraded version (feat. WMP10, etc).

Bring on the update please!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry you read that wrong - I mean the bit about people who have updated to the French ROM and might want to use the english one - will they be able to change - THAT BIT doesn't effect me.

I am well aware that i don't have the awaited update - **checks to see if i have stupid written on my forehead** nope - then don't talk to me like i am

Edited by bluesmudge

Guest hunyango_uk

that's a good news. i'm about to install that french version on my c500 tomorrow. glad that i just read this post. thanks!!! :D

the question is when they are going to release the uk version. but i bet it's not that long. ;)

Guest mobile-distortion

weeeeeeeeeel CRAP! MS is going to have to release a new WMPlayer rev for us in the US with the SMT-5600 ... GOD FORBID we run the same as you .... you .... you .... euro's :shock:

jk...or am I????

<>

Just jealous you guys/gals get all the kewl phones b4 us ... grrrr .... wan the C550 releasted in the States FIRST!! DONT MAKE ME SWITCH TO THE P910 ALLREADY!! ;)

Guest Mike_MK
sorry you read that wrong - I mean the bit about people who have updated to the French ROM and might want to use the english one - will they be able to change - THAT BIT doesn't effect me.

I am well aware that i don't have the awaited update - **checks to see if i have stupid written on my forehead** nope - then don't talk to me like i am

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great attitude to have, this how u talk to all the newcomers to the forum?

Unless there's been a development since the last time I looked at the thread, I believe users who have upgraded to the French ROM using TyphoonNbfFiles will not be able to flash the new update to their c500, but users who have unlocked their phones via imei-check.co.uk and then installed the Fr ROM will be able to.

(Correct me if I'm wrong please someone)

Guest darnovitz
Install and run this:

And you can change the persistence of the GPRS connection (as well as turning on ClearType!)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please supply me with installation details and I can handle it from there! Thanks, Paul! Most importantly, any news on a GPRS fix, regarding usage?? I'm confident that I've input everything back the way it was (prior to the French ROM update).

Guest darnovitz
Install and run this:

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, Paul... I got it installed (sorry about the hassles). Where do I modify the GPRS persistency? What would you recommend? Which GPRS authentication should I use for the U.S.? CHAP or PAP?

Again, and most importantly, if I could just get the GPRS to work again, I wouldn't even need to mess with the UK ROM update. IMEI-check, is sweet!