Java is driving me crazy now!

Guest zim_zimmer

Guest zim_zimmer

Right,

I've just about had it up to my eyeballs with this Java malarkey!!

Whenever I select a JAD file to install (via IE on my phone or through Jeodeck (java manager on MPx220)) it goes through the installation process and says its complete, then asks if I want to run it. Whether I select yes or no it bring sme back to the main screen where I continuously see BILLIARDS and STEPPING STONES... If I see them again it will be too soon!!

When I go into the file explorer I can see there has been more .jar files installed under the \STORAGE\WINDOWS\APPDB location. So why are they not showing up in Jeodeck (games & apps)?

Please help me out here... what has my phone got/not got that other MPx220's have?!?

There is another post here which I started a while back when I couldn't do anything at all.... feel free to post in there:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=ST&f=62&t=205465

A few details of what I own incase they help:

MPx220 (bought SIM FREE in UK)

ROM update versions:

Manufacturer - 1.280.0.0

Microsoft - 4.21.14326.0

Language - 0.230.16.0

File System - 4.21.14326.0

Can anyone let me know what files they have under the \STORAGE\WINDOWS\APPDB folder?? I would like to know if my phone is missing anything, or even the settings under Jeodeck........ ANYTHING basically just to help me!!!

Sorry for going on, thanks for your time!!

Guest dchester

I'll admit to being stumped by what is happening. From what I can tell, it appears you did everything correctly. My only weak guess, is that something (possibly "selector.utf") is corrupted in \Storage\windows\appdb, but I couldn't possibly figure out how to fix it. If rebooting the phone didn't help, then the only other thing I can think of, would be the dreded "hard reset" (that is if you don't mind loosing all customizations you've made to your phone).

Guest zim_zimmer

Hmmm... I really didn't want it to come to that!!

Could somebody possibly email me their selector.utf file?? Or are they specific to each phone??

Or any other ideas??

Guest Frizzante
Hmmm...  I really didn't want it to come to that!!

Could somebody possibly email me their selector.utf file??  Or are they specific to each phone??

Or any other ideas??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

did you find a solution? I just now got the same problem over here, after it worked out perfectly for about 10 games, it suddenly only shows the standard 2 games and albeit installations seems ok, the new games never show up....

Guest zim_zimmer
did you find a solution? I just now got the same problem over here, after it worked out perfectly for about 10 games, it suddenly only shows the standard 2 games and albeit installations seems ok, the new games never show up....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope... No solution!!

I tell ya, this Java thing has driven me up the wall!! I've written an Email to Motorola so I will see what they come back with, probably nothing!!

If anyone can help us with this JAVA Issue then please please help!!

Thanks

Guest dchester
Hmmm...  I really didn't want it to come to that!!

Could somebody possibly email me their selector.utf file??  Or are they specific to each phone??

Or any other ideas??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would advise finding the file from someone that hasn't tried installing any java programs yet (or from someone who just did a hard reset.).

Guest Frizzante
I would advise finding the file from someone that hasn't tried installing any java programs yet (or from someone who just did a hard reset.).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well actually I will just perform a hard reset this evening.

Things have gone worse! Now some games (Smartphone ones) won't run anymore, saying Access denies - unknow certificate (of course in german).

The only thing was to install this "bloody" java-app. Since then everythings goes wrong.

I hope that the master reset will clear the JAVA problem as well as the strange thing that the phone thinks it's applicaton locked suddenly! (it's a vanilla mpx220, and installed apps worked be4!)

if a master-reset won't work, I'll change the phone ;)

Guest Frizzante

hello!

i did a master reset - and guess what?!?!?

it does not work!!!

first of all, powering up the phone now takes about 1 MINUTE (with nothing on it/ without sdcard!), and the JAVA problem persists.

Installing anything results in Error 432 (sorry, I mixed up numbers befor), then installations gioes, well, for a second you'll see the new program in the list, it seems to start automaticalliy... blimp... back tobilliards & skipping stones.

by the way - the app IS installed (//appsab/) is getting bigger, as well as the selector.utf file is updated everytime I install something,

BUT it only says:

nextroot=7

(with 2 std programs & 4 new ones which do not show up?!?!)

WHATS WRONG?!?!

Guest dchester
hello!

i did a master reset - and guess what?!?!?

it does not work!!!

first of all, powering up the phone now takes about 1 MINUTE (with nothing on it/ without sdcard!), and the JAVA problem persists.

Installing anything results in Error 432 (sorry, I mixed up numbers befor), then installations gioes, well, for a second you'll see the new program in the list, it seems to start automaticalliy... blimp... back tobilliards & skipping stones.

by the way - the app IS installed (//appsab/) is getting bigger, as well as the selector.utf file is updated everytime I install something,

BUT it only says:

nextroot=7

(with 2 std programs & 4 new ones which do not show up?!?!)

WHATS WRONG?!?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had some things go awry when stalling Java apps, but I've never seen that error, and I've never gotten into this situation where it won't install (or display) any more applications. I have seen some that appear to be setup and display, but don't run. I just delete those and try something else.

I'm suspicious about either the phone or possibly the firmware rev, since the master reset didn't fix it.

Here is a link (below) to one that is known to work. If after doing a master reset, you can't load this one via IE and get it to install, then I would return the phone and have them give you one that works.

http://midlet.org/repository/borisgranveau...ang_generic.jad

PS: One more thought. It's a reach, but if you have a MiniSD card, see if there is an "appdb" folder somewhere under \Storage Card". I don't really understand how it all works, but sometimes it will put files there as well. Maybe it did that, and something is screwy in that folder. I don't think a hard reset would change anything under \Storage Card.

Edited by dchester

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Frizzante
I've had some things go awry when stalling Java apps, but I've never seen that error, and I've never gotten into this situation where it won't install (or display) any more applications.  I have seen some that appear to be setup and display, but don't run.  I just delete those and try something else.

I'm suspicious about either the phone or possibly the firmware rev, since the master reset didn't fix it.

Here is a link (below) to one that is known to work.  If after doing a master reset, you can't load this one via IE and get it to install, then I would return the phone and have them give you one that works.

http://midlet.org/repository/borisgranveau...ang_generic.jad

PS: One more thought.  It's a reach, but if you have a MiniSD card, see if there is an "appdb" folder somewhere under \Storage Card".  I don't really understand how it all works, but sometimes it will put files there as well.  Maybe it did that, and something is screwy in that folder.  I don't think a hard reset would change anything under  \Storage Card.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi dchester,

Hi Zim,

Hi everybody else,

thanks 4 the reply.

I SOLVED THE JAVA PROBLEM!

Guide to solution:

- Backup DATA (SMS, Calendar, Contacts...)

- remove SDCARD if you have one

- Power down

- Master Reset

- Master Reset again

- wait about 10-15 min (I did some work inbetween)

- Master Reser a third time (never power up phone)

- start up (it takes some time)

- connect to pc via usb cable

- when connected, go to "datasettings", internet and select internet pass through

- go to ie on smartphone

- select a website with java games (.jad) to download

( i chose http://wap.ranova.org/java/generic/index2.php and the game dopewars.jad)

- the game should install well (i still keep getting error 432, but it works)

- accepting everything you should be able to play java dopewars anytime now.

Maybe this works for you as well.

Since my camera starts showing everything in "solarized" colors and mirrored on both axes, I'll take my mpx220 to repairs today.

If they fix my problem immediately I stick to the phone, if it takes time, I'll sell it for another smartphone!!!! (too much trouble)

btw. for me it was not possible to save java games on storage card, I didn't habe the appsdb folder there as welll..

CU

fritz

Guest zim_zimmer

Well...

Thanks for the reply and forgive me for being cynical but I fail to see how doing a master rest 3 times will solve the JAVA problem??

Anyone tried this?

Guest TheGaffer
Right,

I've just about had it up to my eyeballs with this Java malarkey!!

Whenever I select a JAD file to install (via IE on my phone or through Jeodeck (java manager on MPx220)) it goes through the installation process and says its complete, then asks if I want to run it.  Whether I select yes or no it bring sme back to the main screen where I continuously see BILLIARDS and STEPPING STONES...  If I see them again it will be too soon!! 

When I go into the file explorer I can see there has been more .jar files installed under the \STORAGE\WINDOWS\APPDB location.  So why are they not showing up in Jeodeck (games & apps)?

Please help me out here... what has my phone got/not got that other MPx220's have?!?

There is another post here which I started a while back when I couldn't do anything at all.... feel free to post in there:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=ST&f=62&t=205465

A few details of what I own incase they help:

MPx220 (bought SIM FREE in UK)

ROM update versions:

Manufacturer - 1.280.0.0

Microsoft - 4.21.14326.0

Language - 0.230.16.0

File System - 4.21.14326.0

Can anyone let me know what files they have under the \STORAGE\WINDOWS\APPDB folder??  I would like to know if my phone is missing anything, or even the settings under Jeodeck........ ANYTHING basically just to help me!!!

Sorry for going on, thanks for your time!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Had my phone about a week now. Same ROM as yours and also SIM free.

I tried to download a jad file (asteroids from getjar.com) and had exactly the same problem as you - everything installs just fine but there is no sign of the game in the games and apps menu. Tried it 4 times but still exactly the same.

Anyway, I removed my mini-SD card and downloaded and installed the jad file again and this time the game appeared! I don't know if this was just a coincidence or is a bug but give it a go - you certainly have nothing to lose!

Guest Seth Cold

i tryed the polyphonic coding workshop... but the mpx220 doesnt enter the url the program created :S

how do you do?