Talking Point: One device or multiple devices...?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Kingherc

I only carry a ms2003 mobile phone and that's all. it can play music for a while, take some photos (though with an awful quality) and make calls. Only on trips, I take a digiCam for better pics and short videos.

As for the convergence, sure it sounds nice! But I'm against it. There're some simple arguments:

1) If the device breaks, you lose everything.

2) If the device has it all, it sure won't be perfect in all. (for example, you can't find a device with 20GB and 5Mpixel camera. but of course you can find an iPod and a digiCam. So in the future, phones will struggle to implement other things as well, even if they've achieved a 20GB and 5Mpixel camera phone.)

3) If devices have so many functions, they'll cost too much. (already devices tend to cost more and more). That doesn't apply only to buying the device, but also to service it, to upgrade etc.

4) And because they'll cost, companies will have a hard time developping new phones. And that will make small companies disappear, and make monopolies prevail. So, no new ideas, no new companies etc, due to high cost.

5) And there're sure other reasons as well that I can't think right now ;)

Anyways, I just believe that it's better not to have a device that does it all. I'll support though a world-wide system of standards that devices should comply to. Things like same connection methods, same power cables etc. These standards can make things easier for life!

Cheers!!

Guest drblow

I only have my C500. One device is the main reason I have a smartphone - it's my diary/calendar/tasks manager, mp3 player, camera, games machine, and phone! ;) The main advantage of it is that it saves me carrying more than one thing at a time. I used to have a mobile in one pocket, mp3 player in another, camera & gameboy in a bag - so for me the smartphone was a revolution in convenience! ;)

As for the future, the more they can pack into one small handy sized device, the better to get me putting my hand into my dusty old wallet.

Guest Alex_le_brit
I think partly due to the C500 moving to MiniSD has slightly stopped it from being as useful as it could have been to me, as I have a pile of SD Cards I use like floppy disks, could do with a few more stable standards to stop this sort of thing occurring, less waste from out of date technology.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, this is the whole reason I bought a secondhand E200 and not a C500, because I had a bunch of SD cards, which also fit in my digital camera.

If we're talking about individual or all-in-one devices, then to me the ideal compromise would be individual devices with a standard wireless connector between each. Then you can have high quality with full inter-operability.

Imagine, a small box no bigger than 20 Marlboro in your pocket or bag, with a wireless headphone set, watch display screen, camera (still and video), mouse pen text entry system and the ability for it to connect at home or office to a flat screen monitor, full keyboard, satellite digibox (for recording), audio system, etc.

Basically a full PC in your pocket with wireless peripherals.

Guest moosery
Camera phones will never replace digital cameras until they start using decent CCD rather than crappy CMOS chips

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here, here!

(unless you are only interested in taking photos for the next series of postage stamps)

C500 is particularly poor, I know, I chose it, I knew it when I bought it, and I knew it wouldnt be useful as a proper camera, but just pointing out that it's another reason...

Guest spacecowboy6982

Interesting issues raised :!: Personally one day I'd love an "All-in-One" just for the convenience factor. If my smartphone could handle PC like games and had 'real' applications then it would all be fine, unfortunately that’s not the case. Like the majority here, I carry a phone, a 20GB iPod, a Sony Vaio Lappy (for WiFi @ Uni), a wallet and finally my books! Quite a weight, so some integration in the future would be nice. You could argue that an iPod is unnecessary but for some who loves music as much as I do, I see it as very necessary!!! As the 1GB mini-SD's are rolling out, I’m sure that by the time we see 20GB ones ( :?: :?;) I could just use my phone instead!

Put it this way, there’s a hell of alot of possibilities out there, and once again, time will only tell :roll: :exclaim:

Spacecowboy

Edited by spacecowboy6982

Guest mike-oh

Since my first smartphone i've not touched another portable music player. Now with my Compact MDA and a 1Gb SD card i've definitely no need too. I can fit over 10cds on there which is more than i'd get through in one sitting/day.

It's also excellent for watching videos on too.

As for a camera it is absolutely crap! So if i ever want to take pictures i use my beeeautiful Minolta dimage Z3. I'm doubtfull as to how far cameras on phones can come as there simply isn't space enough to accomodate the required optics.

I'm all for combined devices, if they work! IMO phones and portable music players are there already. Phone and portable video is just about there tho' the whole encoding process needs to be accessible for the lay person.

Gameage wise, possibly with the advent and integration of dedicated graphics chips we may be onto something. Processing wise we must be nearly there surely?! The original half life ran on only 133MHz, the MDA is 416!!

Whack in GPS, that new version of Wi-Fi intel is working on (with a range measured in miles) and better battery life (i know the technology is lurking out there, anyhow the MDA is pretty good regardless) et voila!

We're talkin uber device. But the problem is these technologies will always become available and evolve as seperate devices before they get integrated (and subsequently downgraded) into one. Consequently by the time integrated devices become available they're not as appealing and functional as the already "evolved" devices.

Phew!

Mike

Guest TrippinBilly

Well, I ran into an interesting dilemma the other day that made me think about the one device versus multiple devices idea.

I was on a trip with my wife and had my phone setup with my GPS navigation app up and running. Then my wife said she was bored and wanted to watch one of the three movies I had stored on my phone.

Hence the dilemma: What if you need to do multiple functions simultaneously? Then the one device model doesn't work...

Edited by TrippinBilly

Guest markdotpeters5

for me personally, i-mate jam for the office. Samsung d500 for everywhere else. USB stick for general data transfer on the keyring, digital camera when out, laptop for boring late shifts, and my psp goes with me anywhere i'm liable to be sitting down for more than five minutes ;)

Oh, 256mb flash mp3 player for the gym..

Guest cooperc

Before buying me C500 5 months ago I used to carry (on a working day):

Dell Latitude Laptop

VERY basic Sagem Mobile Phone

iPAQ 3630

all in a rucksack-style bag with associated cables.

Very quickly after getting my C500 I ditched the old iPAQ I'd had for ages, and I've found I don't miss it at all. So.. I now lug 2 devices around with me rather than 3: yes! convergence in action.

I also find myself doing things I didn't do with my previous devices. I listen to music on the move, I play more games than I did with my iPAQ, and I'm actually more organised about managing my diary because it's more convenient to use.

I'm not sure I could live with 1 device to replace my current 2. I really do like a full size keyboard, and I'd rather not be holding something that size against my ear ;) .

I did try one of those PPC form factor devices with phone functionality, but never liked it.

Cheers

Chris

(Been lurking for a while here, found it very useful)

Guest 80lbBalls

my smt5600 (245mg mSd card), 60 gig iPod, Aiptek 4500Dv (pictures and movie taking 4mp), and my HP 7260 lappy go everywhere with me. I always like to be prepared. I don't think my phone will ever replace my ipod. I can access my music faster with my ipod and store more on my ipod.

as far as the future, I think there will always be a need for single purpose devices. the best one I can think of is soap. it does one thing and it does it well and easy. no need for soap to wash your hair, brush your teeth, deodorize your pits. You ever notice that every room in your house has multi-purpose tools except the bathroom. The bathroom is full of single purpose items(soap, shampoo, razor, toothbrush, sink, etc) that haven't changed in function in thousands of years. Just my thought.

Guest alibunnylady

Thought I might join in on this one.

I carry two phones, my c500 and (no laughing please) my nokia 6170 everywhere I go.

I hardly ever use the nokia anymore but bought it sim free not long before getting the c500 and can't bring myself to part with it just yet, it's a style thing, I'm a woman, make allowances please! lol!

For photography I use my proper camera, never the one on either of the phones, I'm too picky about quality, though occasionally, those little gadgets come in handy if you get a surprise snapshot situation and don't have the bulky proper camera with you, hehehe.

I'd like just one mobile phone to carry around as opposed to using two and eventually will give up the nokia and just use the c500 as it does everything I need.

Can't see me ever wanting an all in one system with camera included though, even if it was a good camera, I still prefer the real thing there.

Alison

Guest rhaleuk

Mon - Fri my work bag has:

1 X 15" Laptop & Charger

1 X Ipod G4

1 X Ipod Shuffle (more as a flash disk than anything)

1 X Orange C500 and USB lead

If I go on a trip you can add a Canon Digital Ixus, Portable DVD Player and a PSP to that list. Its the chargers/adapters that annoy me.

Apparently RadioShack in America has a device that basically powers everything now. Its $120 though and is USA voltage... other than that its ideal ;)

Guest tendomentis

I carry my MPx200 in my proteus versipack and (I kid you not) my Mobilepro 780 in my office portfolio (just for powerpoint presentations though). I used to carry a dell slim laptop with me, but the lack of good battery life and having to carry around a huge laptop briefacase with me just wasn't doing it for me.

Guest Matx

The issue of whether the devices will converge or not, depends on the extent of the human-machine interface. In the end the device/s will have to be wearable. Ultimately I think it will consist of eye-glasses with an inbuilt screen (the apparent screen size being quite significant) and video camera, wireless sound (either independent in-ear ear phones with the ability to repeat and cancel out ambient noise/sound or a speaker system built into a tooth where the sound is transmitted via the jawbone), and control of the device will be via a number of methods either microphone (wireless on shirt lapel or in-built into a tooth), eye-movement or even brain waves (!). All of this will be linked wirelessly, maybe at first with a small main storage device and in the end there will be storage on each of the individual components. So you can see that the end result is not really convergence, it is actually connectivity.

Though, I definitely think convergence will be a step before this. It has been said that convergence means that one would have to concede on some features in each of the devices. For example, you're not going to get a 5MP camera with optical zoom on many phones at the moment (if any, although I think that in Korea they have a 5MP camera phone without optical zoom). However, at the rate that digital cameras are developing, the standard camera may become 10MP and by then I think an optical zoom 5MP camera phone will also be standard on a phone. I don't think that this will be conceding much on the features or quality of the individual component.

Matx

Guest Alex_le_brit
For example, you're not going to get a 5MP camera with optical zoom on many phones at the moment (if any, although I think that in Korea they have a 5MP camera phone without optical zoom).  However, at the rate that digital cameras are developing, the standard camera may become 10MP and by then I think an optical zoom 5MP camera phone will also be standard on a phone.  I don't think that this will be conceding much on the features or quality of the individual component.

Matx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm told that a 3 megapixel camera gives the same resolution as a 100 ISO film in a modest happy snaps camera and I'm sure it won't be long before we see phones with 3 or even 5 megapixels. At that point most of us can ditch our cameras for general use. Of course if you're a pro, or want to take a lot of photos for enlargement you'll buy a seperate camera, probably an SLR so you can change lenses and filters etc.

I think connectivity is the answer too whether it be corded or wireless. It strikes me that one of the problems with the current high end phones is the fact they only have USB slave capability, if they could act as hosts then a range of peripherals could be made. Also there need to be some (but not many) standards for things such as cords, and chargers.

Just to add, has anyone seen the GIGAPIXEL CAMERA PROJECT. How soon before this filters down to us mortals.

Guest rhaleuk
One question:

Where do you guys get the money from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No kids and no mortage helps. I figure I have about a year left before the real world hits so Im amassing my gadgets now while I still can. ;)

Guest Disco Stu

Where does it say that mortgage+kids=real world ?

(says 44-y-o slacker ;)

My 2 gadgets - Jam + Zippo - and since one can scratch the other, I look forward to convergence in that area ;)

Dade's PPC / wallet convergence is the best suggestion I've read here.

Guest carphead

Depending on what sort of trip it is ;)

Normally I carry during a weekend.....

1 x C500

1 x 3G IPOD (Love it!) + FM Transmitter

1 x Dell X50v (GPS + Speed Camera Detection)

Going away for the weekend (pleasure)

All the above plus.

1 x Digital Camera

1 x Fujuitsu Amilo D (Widescreen) laptop with DVD etc for Kids to watch Videos on. Plus for net surfing (generally find hotels with BB in them).

In laptop bag I have several flash drives and a USB HDD loaded with MP3's and Videos, a SE t68i as backup phone, IPOD Shuffle (freebie) for Kids and Wife. Plus cables to link them all together. Normally the first accessorie I buy for any gadget is a retractable lead!!!

Going away during the week most of the above but the laptop is different for work stuff.

1 x Dell D600 Laptop (Work Laptop)

1 x Audiovox GPS card (with Orange OVP Virgin Sim)

What do I want in the future?

I'd love to be able to combine the IPOD, C500 and X50v into one unit but my main problem is that I'd want everything to function as well if not better than they currently do now.

I wouldn't settle for a combined unit unless I could make a phone call and use GPS in the car at the same time. Then when I'm not making a phone call I'd still want it to play Audbile files or MP3's whilst still using TomTom or similar. If it could do this and be pocketable I'd buy it in a shot. But of course it would have to have a VGA screen.

No way am I going back to a QVGA or 240x240 screen now.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Gah, just discovered you can't play WMAs on an iPod (figures I suppose).

That's out of the question then!

P

Guest spacecowboy6982
Gah, just discovered you can't play WMAs on an iPod (figures I suppose).

That's out of the question then!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;)

You can however play .ACC files (Apples own technology) - MP3's encoded at the same bitrate sound better in this format - tbh, I cant tell the difference!

spacecowboy

Guest Tunney
You can however play .ACC files (Apples own technology)

AAC isn't Apple's technology. It was created by MPEG and is owned by the International Standardisation Organisation (ISO). It's more widely used that you'd think.