SuDoku for Smartphones?

Guest opbyrne

Guest opbyrne

Does anyone know of any SuDoku (that number game in all the papers at the moment) game for smartphones yet?

I have an SPV C500 which runs windows mobile 2003 i think.

Guest sSword

I want this too ;)

I found an SuDoku excel spreadsheet that someone made, its very basic.

I have not tried it with the spreadsheat smartphone app.

When I start my degree in September this was going to be one of my first smartphone games/projects

Guest muff

seems like a nice easy little app

you could even go so far as to make the whole thing have a difficulty setting for the auto generator, hints etc etc

you could even get it to highlight a square when the entry in it becomes invalid (i.e. 2 9's in the same row)

there's probably some code already out there for this on other platforms as well

Edited by muff

Guest sSword

Just found an old post on Pocket Matrix from David @ PocketGamer.org

http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewtop...?t=19590&page=4

he said he was working on a C500 version of Sudoku

I will try to email him to she what happend.

I Also found a ppc version: http://www.bunnyhug.net/bunnydoku/

Not wm2003 compatible ;)

Edited by sSword

• 5 weeks later...
Guest johnch

Found a new mobile Sudoku game that looks good and seems to have very wide support of mobiles, including older ones and Smartphones. Unlike all the other mobile games I've seen it has a puzzle generator as well, and some other cool features.

Don't seem to be able to buy it yet, but it looks like the game will be available within days. Here's the site: www.qgates.com

Anyone seen a copy of this yet?

John ;)

Guest nausea

UPDATED November 14, 2005 to version 1.3:

:twisted: Smartphone SuDoKu v1.3 from Handango :twisted:

Updates in this release:

- Updated to include 'Dot Notation' of guesses.

- Various bugs have been fixed (Thank You Leslie Troyer for finding them!)

- Cursor colour changed due to many requests.

- Now installs via a desktop installer, also due to requests.

FEATURES:

- Supports devices with screen sizes of 176x220 and 240x320!

- Generates an unlimited number of unique puzzles!

- Various difficulty to choose from!

- Enter your own puzzle and play it or just have the phone solve it for you. Now

you can enter the puzzle from your daily news paper and play it on your phone!

- Fast real-time solving and checking algorithms that recognize all possible solutions

a puzzle can have!

- Automatically saves the puzzle you are working on when you exit and loads it the next

time you play the game!

- Adjust the font size to suit your preference!

- Keep track of multiple guess per cell with the guesses list!

- NEW - Dot Notation of guesses

Edited by nausea

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davidhorn
Just found an old post on Pocket Matrix from David @ PocketGamer.org

http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewtop...?t=19590&page=4

he said he was working on a C500 version of Sudoku

I will try to email him to she what happend.

I Also found a ppc version: http://www.bunnyhug.net/bunnydoku/

Not wm2003 compatible  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hiya,

The Sudoku project kinda got put on hold over the exam period at uni, but I'll try to finish it off over the summer holiday. While it works in Java, I've only been learning C/C++ for a short time so please don't get your hopes up of stunning quality!

It can generate random puzzles that work, but there's no sound mathematical logic behind it - rather, it just randomly sticks 6 or more number on the grid and attempts to solve from there. As such, it has exponential time complexity, and while it takes less than a second to spit out a new puzzle on my laptop, I have no idea what it'll be like on the Smartphone or PPC.

I'll try to keep you updated. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest bryanr
Does anyone know of any SuDoku (that number game in all the papers at the moment) game for smartphones yet?

I have an SPV C500 which runs windows mobile 2003 i think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've written a very simple Sudoku game for the Smartphone. It's been written in C# and so requires the .Net Compact Framework. I've only tested it on my Orange SPV C500.

So far it can only generate fairly simple puzzles - ones that can always be solved without guessing. The way it works is that it generates a valid grid, then deletes cells at random (though symmetrically), always ensuring that at every stage there's at least one cell that has exactly one possible value. Since it's so simple, the difficulty setting doesn't make much difference. It can take a while to generate a grid, but it's normally only a few seconds.

It will also try to solve any part-filled grid you supply to it. Since this could be a very long time (especially if you give it an unsolvable puzzle!), there's a user configurable timeout for solving (1, 2, 5, 10 minutes).

Both C# source code and CAB files are available on my website, http://portal.bryanrobson.net/.

Bryan.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DomConway
I've written a very simple Sudoku game for the Smartphone.  It's been written in C# and so requires the .Net Compact Framework.  I've only tested it on my Orange SPV C500.

So far it can only generate fairly simple puzzles - ones that can always be solved without guessing.  The way it works is that it generates a valid grid, then deletes cells at random (though symmetrically), always ensuring that at every stage there's at least one cell that has exactly one possible value.  Since it's so simple, the difficulty setting doesn't make much difference.  It can take a while to generate a grid, but it's normally only a few seconds.

It will also try to solve any part-filled grid you supply to it.  Since this could be a very long time (especially if you give it an unsolvable puzzle!), there's a user configurable timeout for solving (1, 2, 5, 10 minutes).

Both C# source code and CAB files are available on my website, http://portal.bryanrobson.net/. 

Bryan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Bryan

Fantastic little game, nice work! It's kept me nicely occupied on a few train / bus journeys so far. The grid generating algorithm isn't the fastest I've seen, maybe that's something that could be worked on, but otherwise it's brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bryanr
Hey Bryan

Fantastic little game, nice work!  It's kept me nicely occupied on a few train / bus journeys so far.  The grid generating algorithm isn't the fastest I've seen, maybe that's something that could be worked on, but otherwise it's brilliant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad you like it!

I've just released an updated version (v0.4), which should generate the grids faster (especially on the easiest two levels). There's also a new option in the Edit sub-menu to show you its progress, which can be displayed either as numbers or asterisks on the grid. Showing the numbers as it generates is a bit of a cheat, of course, but it's interesting to watch its progress when it's solving a grid. You can also stop it mid-way through a generate or solve now.

Again, available from here: http://portal.bryanrobson.net

Bryan.

Guest bryanr
Any chance of a C550 version?

Nice work btw :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm suprised it doesn't work on a C550 already - does the .Net Compact Framework not come installed on it?

To be honest, unless there's an emulator for the C550 then I'd not be able to make and test any changes unless I upgraded my phone, which won't be in the immediate future.

• 1 month later...
Guest onlydarksets

I just tried it out - very nice! The only thing it doesn't have that others do is a "guess" matrix to track possible numbers. Not a complaint - just an observation. Well done!

• 4 weeks later...
Glad you like it!

I've just released an updated version (v0.4), which should generate the grids faster (especially on the easiest two levels).  There's also a new option in the Edit sub-menu to show you its progress, which can be displayed either as numbers or asterisks on the grid.  Showing the numbers as it generates is a bit of a cheat, of course, but it's interesting to watch its progress when it's solving a grid.  You can also stop it mid-way through a generate or solve now.

Again, available from here: http://portal.bryanrobson.net

Bryan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW, this is the game I was looking for! Thanks, Bryan! 8)

Guest Jamma14

How about Killer Sudoku?

I prefer that, been getting into it recently and it's more of a challenge than normal sudoku. (It's the one where you start with an empty grid and little numbered boxes).

Anyone know of a smartphone version? I know there are lots of normal sudokus about...

Or maybe a developer listening?? Someone from Astraware perhaps?

Fancy doing a Killer expansion pack??

Guest jasnewt
How about Killer Sudoku?

I prefer that, been getting into it recently and it's more of a challenge than normal sudoku. (It's the one where you start with an empty grid and little numbered boxes).

Anyone know of a smartphone version? I know there are lots of normal sudokus about...

Or maybe a developer listening?? Someone from Astraware perhaps?

Fancy doing a Killer expansion pack??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Astraware have a Sudoku game. Looks very nice on the C550 and I like the way they have done the controls for it. I recommend this version.

Jason.

Guest jasnewt
Cheers, but I realised. I was looking for Killer Sudoku. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes, so you were. Perfectly obvious when you read your whole post which I plainly didn't do..... :D

Haven't heard of Killer Sudoku. I'll have to look into that.

Jason.

Guest Jamma14
Ah yes, so you were. Perfectly obvious when you read your whole post which I plainly didn't do..... ;)

Haven't heard of Killer Sudoku. I'll have to look into that.

Jason.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe. Don't worry. Cheers for making the effort to reply. :D

And I do recommmend Killer Sudoku, you should check it out, I'm addicted to it at the mo!

Edited by Jamma14

• 1 month later...

bryanr:

Very nice litte app ;)

How about an option to disable the backlight timeout?

And maybe add it to MoDaCo's downloads page?

Edited by orka