BlueTooth ActiveSync COM Port Error Fix

Guest RoniXt

Guest RoniXt

Recently I got annoyed enough at Bluetooth ActiveSync's COM port error that I decided to do something about it.

If you've ever restarted your computer with Bluetooth ActiveSync set up, you should be familiar with the error. ActiveSync will say, "Microsoft ActiveSync cannot open the COM port" or you might receive a message asking whether you want to disconnect the serial ports.

At first I thought that my Bluetooth stack wasn't loading quickly enough for ActiveSync to catch the correct serial port, but after disabling ActiveSync from starting up automatically, I found that this wasn't the case.

Next I searched through the registry, and that's where I found the key to our solution....

1. Make sure that Bluetooth ActiveSync is correctly set up and working on your computer.

2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services. There you should see a string value named, "SerialPort", and you'll see that it's set to "COM1" by default.

3. Change that string value to the name of the correct serial port being used for Bluetooth ActiveSync. For instance, my Bluetooth serial port is COM6, so that's the value I'd change it to on my system.

4. Restart your computer and test it out. You should now no longer receive any error message from ActiveSync and now you have a Bluetooth setup that's clean and free of errors.

It turns out that the "SerialPort" value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services was being changed correctly but for some reason, the one under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services was being neglected.

;)

Edited by RoniXt

Guest floepie

Does anyone else's computer greet them w/ this error? The only time I see it is if my bluetooth dongle is unplugged before rebooting. I'm just curious why you would be getting this error. I will check my reg settings to see if both port settings are correct, or if they are like yours.

Guest Confused Stu

Talk about perfect timing!!!! My Activesync refused to see the phone by Bluetooth tonight for the first time since I finally got it working about 6 months ago. I restarted PC, phone, reinstalled Activesync - even installed Activesync 4 over the top of my 3.8 but still absolutely no go.

Just carried out your RegTweak to fix it, and it worked first time after I restarted both (to be sure). Thank you so much. ;)

Do have to say that the timing is slightly suspicious - are you sure you didn't hack into my PC, break it and then post the solution to enhance your own personal glory and poll count? ;)

Thanks a lot again!

Guest fahlis

Thanks for that info.

I checked this on my laptop and both keys are set correct in the registry..could maybe be because I´ve installed activesync 4, just thought I´d let ya all know ;)

Guest RoniXt
Does anyone else's computer greet them w/ this error?  The only time I see it is if my bluetooth dongle is unplugged before rebooting.   I'm just curious why you would be getting this error.  I will check my reg settings to see if both port settings are correct, or if they are like yours.

Due to the nature of the error, I'm sure that people with laptops would be getting this error the most. Laptops these days don't come with serial ports and ActiveSync attempts to look for COM1 because of the neglected registry entry.

I checked this on my laptop and both keys are set correct in the registry..could maybe be because I´ve installed activesync 4, just thought I´d let ya all know ;)

It could be. I know this problem was plaguing all the 3.xx version of ActiveSync so it's good to see that it's fixed in 4.0.

Just carried out your RegTweak to fix it, and it worked first time after I restarted both (to be sure).  Thank you so much.  ;)

I'm glad it helped.

Edited by RoniXt

Guest floepie
Due to the nature of the error, I'm sure that people with laptops would be getting this error the most.  Laptops these days don't come with serial ports and ActiveSync attempts to look for COM1 because of the neglected registry entry.

It could be.  I know this problem was plaguing all the 3.xx version of ActiveSync so it's good to see that it's fixed in 4.0.

I'm glad it helped.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just checked my settings, and it turns out I have have no reg entry 'serialport' under the 'current user' key, but there is indeed one under the 'local machine' key, and it is set to the correct port, without my having done anything in the registry. BTW, I use the latest ver. 3 of AS. So, perhaps the entry under the 'current user' can just be deleted?

Guest RoniXt
So, perhaps the entry under the 'current user' can just be deleted?

I don't think it can be deleted, it seems like a pretty important entry.

Maybe it depends on the OS?

I'm using Windows XP Pro with SP2, and it's a fairly clean system too. What are you using?

Guest floepie

Maybe it depends on the OS?

I'm using Windows XP Pro with SP2, and it's a fairly clean system too.  What are you using?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too. I, however, have only one account, me. So could that be a reason why I don't have an entry there and having one in local machine suffices?

Guest RoniXt
Me too.  I, however, have only one account, me.  So could that be a reason why I don't have an entry there and having one in local machine suffices?

Hmm... I only have one account on mine too, but that doesn't include my Administrator account.

Are you always logged in as Administrator on your one account?

Guest floepie
Hmm... I only have one account on mine too, but that doesn't include my Administrator account.

Are you always logged in as Administrator on your one account?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Always logged on as an admin, but I am not the 'administrator' account. Oh well, I guess I've been lucky...

Guest AndyBottomley

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It can actually just be deleted. The entry will then be recreated from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE value.

This post I made last year explains the issue :

http://www.modaco.com/A_Sync_over_Bluetoot...on-t116555.html

Always helps to do a good search of the forums before trying to fix a problem - you may find someone already did it for you ages ago ;)

Guest Dr Who
After I installed ActiveSync 4 any problems I had with bt-sync is gone!  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are talking about the error message I think you are talking about I found closing internet explorer and Outlook seems to allow it to open a port to my laptop.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PJDelaney
Does anyone else's computer greet them w/ this error?  The only time I see it is if my bluetooth dongle is unplugged before rebooting.  I'm just curious why you would be getting this error.  I will check my reg settings to see if both port settings are correct, or if they are like yours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have this problem on my older PC, its a fairly old motherboard with just two USB ports, one of which is connected to my 4 port hub with my Bluetooth dongle. When I first boot Windows (XP Pro SP2) the hub is never recognised so I end up getting the above error. I then have to pull out the hub and reconnect it for it to be recognised. On second boot the hub works fine hence no error.

On my new PC the dongle is directly connected (no hub), works first time and thus no error. This is using the same Windows drive as the old PC so setting are the same.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.