TomTom Mobile 5 Released!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k

ttm5.gif

TomTom have released TomTom Mobile 5 ;)/

Turn your phone into a personal navigator!

* Integrated phone call handling; on-screen instructions remain visible while receiving calls.

* Complete navigation system for your smartphone for use in car, when you are on foot or by bike.

* Easy door-to-door navigation, including street numbers.

* Smallest and lightest wireless GPS device that easily fits in your pocket or in your bag.

* Effortless installation; insert Memory card and navigate.

* Intuitive interface.

GPSimage.jpg

The GPS receiver uses Bluetooth technology to eliminate the need for connecting cables, and a new, high performance GPS antenna to ensure the best possible reception wherever you go.

The GPS receiver has an high capacity battery that can be used all day on a single charge.

The high performance GPS receiver is ideal for use in urban environments. On the road or walking around the city streets, it will make sure you find your way with ease.

Source: Me (MSMobileNews) ;)

Guest mavisdavis

The software will install on the Mpx200 but the Bluetooth Aerial wont work.

I dont think you can buy the software on it's own just the upgrade option but you have to have purchased the original Tomtom software to get the upgrade

Guest thuginme

well, i just wanted to ask u ppl, if this will be for download som times soon?

and if u think this is better then 2003 ? bettery and all that...

im out

Guest mirpy1

WAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY ;)

but when i rang tomtom tech 3 weeks ago they said it would only be available with a new phone and contract package, is this still the case cos i canny find any one selling it yet?

Guest mavisdavis

@ Thug

The only advantages are more roads are covered, you can use the feature that lets you select a contact from your address book and navigate to there with out having to start up the main tomtom applcation and a whole host ofdownloadable updates like weather reports and accident blackspots. I havent tried it yet I'm just going on the screen shots I have seen and a friend has it installed in the Neatherlands

Guest mortalwombat
Ha.  Perhaps they'll start shipping the updates people ordered night on 5 weeks ago now  :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to their website, if you order it from their online store, you should expect a minimum of 5 weeks before the product is delivered!

Think I will wait for Amazon to get some stock in.

MW

Guest awarner [MVP]
well, i just wanted to ask u ppl, if this will be for download som times soon?

and if u think this is better then 2003 ? bettery and all that...

im out

Better than 2003? there is a TomTom3 but not 2003, also if you own an MPX200 then it's not worth getting as you would not be able to use it to it's full capabilities.

This version is better than the previous one.

As for availability I can not find TT5 as a standalone purchase yet :?

DABs do not list it

http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/results.htm...chPhrase=tomtom

You can buy direct from TomTom for 249 euros (£171) but you have to wait a minimum of five weeks on delivery :shock:

EDIT I cannot find any retailer apart from TomTom selling the latest version at the moment.

Guest Sp00k
Think I will wait for Amazon to get some stock in.

Unless they start selling just the software, like many others I'll be waiting until 'Overnet' get it in! :twisted:

I use the Fortuna Clip-On GPS receiver, it comes with 2 different carrying cases, both mains and car chargers, magnetic/adhesive dashboard easy-remove mount, has switchable high-low sensitivity and runs from an easily-replaceable and obtainable Nokia-style battery for approx 8 hours duration on a charge.

It connects rapidly and works reliably, why would I want to pay for TomTom's single-setting, sealed-battery, simplistic gps receiver when I don't need it?

C'mon TomTom, wise up to the facts.. Sell the software alone at a reasonable price or you'll lose a LOT of sales, just as you did with the previous version.

Reprehensible, I know but a fact nonetheless, let he who is without sin cast the first stone! :roll:

Guest awarner [MVP]

There is much better protection on TT5 than previous versions especially compaired to the previous non existant mobile version.

Guest Sp00k
There is much better protection on TT5 than previous versions especially compaired to the previous non existant mobile version.

Fair enough, I hardly thought that they'd be dumb enough not to better protect the new version. 8)

Meanwhile I take comfort from the knowledge that for every lock, there is a key... and there are some very smart hackers and coders out there, as many 'secure' program producers have found to their cost.

A poor marketing policy by TomTom IMO, as I would gladly pay 40-50 notes for the software alone but I am definitely not paying an additional 120 or so for an inferior 'spare' gps receiver that is totally surplus to my requirements!

In passing, I might also add that I admire TomTom's nerve in promoting a chargeable 'Safety-Camera' (revenue-generating Speed-Cams to the rest of us) database warning system... When the same add-on facility is available entirely free and updated monthly... If you know where to look... That's definitely taking the you-know-what!

Guest thuginme
Better than 2003? there is a TomTom3 but not 2003, also if you own an MPX200 then it's not worth getting as you would not be able to use it to it's full capabilities.

This version is better than the previous one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No i ment WM2003 ;) is wm2003 better then tt5 ? ;)

well why i won't be able to use it to it's full capabilities?

tnx

im out

Guest awarner [MVP]
Fair enough, I hardly thought that they'd be dumb enough not to better protect the new version.  8)

Meanwhile I take comfort from the knowledge that for every lock, there is a key... and there are some very smart hackers and coders out there, as many 'secure' program producers have found to their cost.

Nice to know you really want to be part of the community and help developers as well as the user :roll:

Guest awarner [MVP]
No i ment WM2003 ;) is wm2003 better then tt5 ? ;)

Ok you've lost me completely now?

wm2003 is an operating system and TT5 is a gps navigation system, they are both completely different types of software and one can never be better than the other.

TomTom can not work on the MPX200 as the MPX200 does not have bluetooth and so would be pointless to use on the phone.

Guest Sp00k
Nice to know you really want to be part of the community and help developers as well as the user  :roll:

I'm pretty sure that I'm voicing the opinions of at least some members of this community, surely we don't all continually tread the path of righteousness?

As for helping developers... I'd help the developers willingly if they'd help me by not forcing me to buy a useless piece of kit in order to use the software, which I am willing to pay for!

Sarcasm ill becomes thee my friend and I can see that you and I aren't going to agree on this matter, so to spare the community the tedium of 'listening' to us discussing our respective and widely differing points of view, I suggest we both refrain from further comment on this particular aspect of the new release. ;)

Guest thuginme
Ok you've lost me completely now?

wm2003 is an operating system and TT5 is a gps navigation system, they are both  completely different types of software and one can never be better than the other.

TomTom can not work on the MPX200 as the MPX200 does not have bluetooth and so would be pointless to use on the phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oo, ok, my bad, tnx for info...well anyway im happy with my wm2003 so i wouldn't change it i guess....

tnx again for info...

im out

Guest Confucious
I'm pretty sure that I'm voicing the opinions of at least some members of this community, surely we don't all continually tread the path of righteousness?

No - but I'm sure most of us try. I have some pirated software - but only things I rarely use. Everything I use regularly I have legal versions of. Which is why I agree with you that it is a pain in the a*se not being able to buy TomTom software separately.

Supporting developers is one thing, I have no problem paying for their software if I use it but why should I be made to pay for additional HARDWARE which I neither need nor want?

Just my 2d's worth.

I use CoPilot and while I'd like to try TomTom there is not a lot of point me even getting hold of a pirated version because I can't then buy the software if I do like it.

Guest nedge2k
Nedge !!

I just woke up - opened MoDaCo and what do I see.

A Nokia

Thats not very friday-friendly

;-)

/J

;)

My bad....i was being lazy and it was the first pic i saw ;)

Guest nedge2k
oo, ok, my bad, tnx for info...well anyway im happy with my wm2003 so i wouldn't change it i guess....

tnx again for info...

im out

What in the name of all things that are holy are you on about!? :shock:

WM2003 == Your phone's operating system

TomTom Mobile 5 == Satelite navigation software

Aaaaaaaaaanyway....

TTM5 is damned wicked, finally shows ur speed on the screen, shows battery status has a load of options regarding route calculation and a ton of other cool stuff ;)

Guest awarner [MVP]

And for those maoning about the price you don't have to use the software if you don't want to pay for it that's your choice. There are other apps that do a similar thing at different prices.

We all know TomTom the best so be prepared to pay for it.

Guest Confucious
And for those maoning about the price you don't have to use the software if you don't want to pay for it that's your choice. Tthere are other apps that do a similar thing.

It's not the price I'm moaning about - it's good value if you want the hardware as well. But they are losing sales and restricting my choice by not offering a software only solution.

There are other apps and it is my choice which is why I use CoPilot but is it so wrong of me to suggest that I would probably buy TomTom if they sold the software without the hardware which I don't need?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.