TomTom Mobile 5 Released!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest thuginme
What in the name of all things that are holy are you on about!?  :shock:

WM2003 == Your phone's operating system

TomTom Mobile 5 == Satelite navigation software

Aaaaaaaaaanyway....

TTM5 is damned wicked, finally shows ur speed on the screen, shows battery status has a load of options regarding route calculation and a ton of other cool stuff ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i aaaaaaammmm so sorry will u be able to ever forgive me? im sorry nedge i never ment to hurt uuuu ;)

just chill man, it's all good....

Guest Confucious
i aaaaaaammmm so sorry will u be able to ever forgive me? im sorry nedge i never ment to hurt uuuu ;)

just chill man, it's all good....

I think uyou should replace wm2003 on your phone with TomTom Mobile 5 ;)

Guest mcwarre

They may have 'released' it but has anyone found it in stock anywhere???? [-( [-(

I don't know anyone who has received the upgraded version yet :-" :-"

Apparently, TomTom Mobile 2015 is now out. No stock as yet.... :-#

Guest thuginme
I think uyou should replace wm2003 on your phone with TomTom Mobile 5 ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well u think wrong :P it's all good with wm2003 :shock: ;)

Guest nedge2k
They may have 'released' it but has anyone found it in stock anywhere???? [-( [-(

I don't know anyone who has received the upgraded version yet :-" :-"

Apparently, TomTom Mobile 2015 is now out. No stock as yet.... :-#

I have it ;)

Guest adchaffey

I'm really impressed with TomTom but a little concerned that I'll be forced to stay with the same phone for the rest of my life (or until I can afford the tom tom upgrade - whichever comes first!). Has anyone else found this a problem. IE - has anyone bought a newer/different smartphone and not been able to use their tom tom??

Also, I know tom tom can't be used with any other GPS units but can the bluetooth GPS receiver from tom tom be used with any other software??

cheers.

Guest Sp00k
...I know tom tom can't be used with any other GPS units...

Well, TT4 can be used with other GPS receivers, the Fortuna for one... Not sure about TT5...

How about it nedge2k? As you're one of the few who actually posess the new software, can you enlighten us on a few points please?

1. Will the TT5 function only with a TT reciever?

2. Can the software be transferred to a larger card? ... TT maintained stoically that TT4 couldn't and were proved to be telling porkies! It'd be a great shame if this is now the case as 1GB Mini-SD's are down to 50 GBP now.

3. You stated in an earlier post that vehicle speed was now displayed... Is this on a sub-screen as before, or can it be shown in the main window?

Thanks for any info...

Guest awarner [MVP]

1, I have not tested it as I only have a TT GPS unit at the moment but in setup there is the option for Other Blutooth GPS.

2, Should not be a problem, this time you have to register the maps so that will bugger up the pirates for a while at least.

TT never actually stated you could not move to another card what they did say was the miniSD format was not supported as they had not released a version on that card. This then covers themselves so that there is no comeback if someone does something stupid and screws the software up. It's always been possible to move cards since day one otherwise I would not have been able to test on the c500.

3, Speed can now be shown on the main window

Guest adchaffey
...I have not tested it as I only have a TT GPS unit at the moment but in setup there is the option for Other Blutooth GPS...

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

If I bought TT5 is it likely for example that the C550, when it's released, won't run TT5 and Tom Tom will have to release an update or something?? It's just I tend to upgrade my phone as early as possible and don't like the idea of having to wait for anyone, even if my phone is running the coolest GPS software around!

Guest Sp00k
1, I have not tested it as I only have a TT GPS unit at the moment but in setup there is the option for Other Blutooth GPS.

2, Should not be a problem, this time you have to register the maps so that will bugger up the pirates for a while at least.

TT never actually stated you could not move to another card what they did say was the miniSD format was not supported as they had not released a version on that card. This then covers themselves so that there is no comeback if someone does something stupid and screws the software up. It's always been possible to move cards since day one otherwise I would not have been able to test on the c500.

3, Speed can now be shown on the main window

Thanks for the rapid reply...

1. Good move, sense at last! Now they only need to sell the software alone to be back on my Xmas-card list!

2. "...this time you have to register the maps so that will bugger up the pirates for a while at least." LOL! They love a challenge, or so I hear... :twisted: re: transfer to other cards... I understand why they stated at one time that the software couldn't be transferred... one reason was to cover their backs, for which they can hardly be blamed but the fact remains that it was also in their interests to mislead some prospective 'users'.. and they did just that IMHO.

3. Extremely good to hear that speed can be displayed on the main window, at last a digital speedometer! ... I always wondered how accurate my speedo was. ;)

Thanks again for the info...

Guest awarner [MVP]

It is possible as the c550 is unknown territory at the moment. It all depends what quirks they put in to the OS.

If it does not work for whatever reason any alterations\fixes would have to go through a testing period as such.

We had this problem with the C500 when it was first released and then updated etc, so all we can do is wait and see, and hope for the best ;)

Guest spiderboy

Has anyone actually been able to buy TT5?

I have looked high and low but can't seem to find any outlet selling TT5.

Just wondering? :?:

Guest mirpy1

@spiderboy, my question exactly. plus on tt website it says 5 week delivery is this true or possibly earlier? some people are still waiting for their updates i believe? how long do we wait until we see it everywere? and will it be internet only or will any shops be selling?

Guest adchaffey
It is possible as the c550 is unknown territory at the moment. It all depends what quirks they put in to the OS.

If it does not work for whatever reason any alterations\fixes would have to go through a testing period as such.

We had this problem with the C500 when it was first released and then updated etc, so all we can do is wait and see, and hope for the best ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks again. I'm probably going to hold off on the C550 while it doesn't use WM5 so looks like TT5 might be on my shopping list. Damn that father christmas, why does he only come once a year!??! Lazy lazy old man.... ;)

Guest Fozza

I am not trying to condone this but this software is available on P2P sites.

Suggesting at least that somebody has it.

Even if that somebody is "Oh ahhh Jim Lad" inclined.

Have faith folks it is obviously on its way.

I have just moved house and lost my Product code credit card thingy me bob.

Have posted my request for a new one to TOM TOM in the Netherlands today.

Their website tells me to expect 6 weeks to get a return on this and then a further 5 weeks fro delivery.

I fear I may be waiting sometime for my Upgrade.

However the ability to navigate using Postcodes will make this worth it.

This prog means I will use my C500 forever more, Unless of course it is compatible with my next Windows smartphone.

Incidently my contract runs out in Spetember what new C500 a likes are we expecting around then?

Cheers

Fozza

I just ordered it direct from TOMTOM after seeing the review on coolsmartphone.com which said it was £171.

Checked my order status on TOMTOM and it says I've paid £212 for it!!!!

They've only gone and upped the price from 249 Euros to 299 Euros!

I'm gunna have to think about this and may cancel my order.

Guest Prof. Yaffle
I just ordered it direct from TOMTOM after seeing the review on coolsmartphone.com which said it was £171.

Checked my order status on TOMTOM and it says I've paid £212 for it!!!!

They've only gone and upped the price from 249 Euros to 299 Euros!

I'm gunna have to think about this and may cancel my order.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was going to order yesterday from Tomtom as well until I noticed that. On the main page it lists all of the countries as 249 euros but when you actually put one in the basket the price changes to 299 euros.

Cheeky.

You can be sure the courier will charge VAT too!!!

The problem is, there's no where on the site to cancel orders. There is no number to contact them. The only way to email them is through product support!

I've mailed them telling them to cancel the order but I don't hold out much luck on it happening.

I do actually want it but not at that price.

Guest dhevans_6

I was also going to order it from the TomTom website, but the fact the price has gone up and no doubt other charges from the courier as someone said has put me off.

Trouble is, when will any of the advertised retailers on the TomTom website actually start selling it? At least then I'll have a firm price to play with...

Diane

Guest mavisdavis
Well, TT4 can be used with other GPS receivers, the Fortuna for one... Not sure about TT5...

How about it nedge2k? As you're one of the few who actually posess the new software, can you enlighten us on a few points please?

1. Will the TT5 function only with a TT reciever?

2. Can the software be transferred to a larger card? ... TT maintained stoically that TT4 couldn't and were proved to be telling porkies! It'd be a great shame if this is now the case as 1GB Mini-SD's are down to 50 GBP now.

3. You stated in an earlier post that vehicle speed was now displayed... Is this on a sub-screen as before, or can it be shown in the main window?

Thanks for any info...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a an option to choose either TT BT Unit or "Other BT Device" in the configure GPS setting ;)

Guest awarner [MVP]

You still need to have a compatable GPS unit, and not all are like the cheap ones you find on ebay, they may work on the ppc but I've not managed to get them to work on the phone.

Guest mavisdavis

Ive using a Fortuna (Had it for years) and it works a treat. What I wanna know is they ofeer compatability with other devices yet wont sell it as a stand alone ;)

Guest MarkH

ok, here's my comments from the other thread that got locked :-( - i received my tomtom upgrade yesterday:

ok, it works :-)

but why does tomtom insist in always creating an empty folder named "programs" on the start menu!! - i was hoping this "feature" would have been fixed in the new version!

new stuff:

on the initial setup procedure it asked me whether i'd be using the tomtom GPS or "other" GPS device (not got any others to hand to try though!)

Contact navigation - a little dissapointing as i don't see that you can navigate directly from a contact, you have to launch their app called "contacts navigation", it then lists all your contacts from which you can select one and choose to show on map or navigate to..

advanced planning - you can plan routes in advance by selecting the "from" and "to" which might come in handy when you don't have the GPS module to hand - hang opn a sec, isn't this just a re-named plan from a-to-b from the last version..

postcodes - at first i thought they had missed this feature, but instead of select "address" to navigate to, go to the next page and there is a seperate "postcode" option (seems more like an afterthought, they should have integrated this into "address")

navigation - as well as post code, there is now the option for city centre (which i think is quite handy) and also POI in city (which is great as before it only listed POI's near your GPS position)

itinerary planning - you can now set multiple waypoints in advance.

shortest/fastest/walking routes etc - you can define whether it asks you which you want each time it plans, or you can set a default

backlight - you can set which mode it dims for, can dim: never, always, when walking, when not charging

toll roads - options to ask/avoid/never avoid toll roads

compass options - displays compass, either north up, direction up, or showing distance (as the crow flies) and direction to destination

status bar options - can define what is shown: speed, eta, distance arrival time, current time

weather - it can download a small weather report for a place / poi / position etc

download extras - you can get city maps, software updates, extra voices, map colours, speed trap POI's - most of this i'll ignore, as I don't like paying for POI's that are available for free on the web.. (POIEdit still works great for updating POI's from the web)

the map data doesn't appear to be any newer (still got new-ish miniroundabout's missing near my work..) - anybody else noticed if these maps have been updated at all?

.. i've found that the way they have done the address book integration is actually really poor.

it looks like there is no way from within tomtom to select a contact's address (as said earlier, there is a seperate app which launches tomtom & lets you either view on map, or navigate to contact's addresses by selecting them from a list)

the downside to this is that when doing itinerary planning, there is no way to add contact's addresses!

(-as a workaround you can use the "contacts navigation" app to show the address, then you can use that position to add as a favourite - yuk..)

Edited by MarkH

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.