TotW: Going Directly to an Account in Inbox

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

TotW: Going Directly to an Account in Inbox

Something a little different for TotW today... we have a guest tweaker! Welcome pzee, a MoDaCo moderator from the Phillippines who does a sterling job in our popular Pinoy forum area.

Over to you pzee, and if anyone needs any guidance on editing the registry, check out any of our previous tweaks in this forum ;)

P

I have something to share with you all ;)

This tweak is related to Inbox / Messaging on the C500.

Note: This tweak will only work if Inbox is not running in the background. :P

Unlike on previous devices, clicking on 'Messaging' while in the Start Menu takes you first to the 'Messaging' window and then you still have to choose your account from '1 Media Messages' , '2 Text Messages' , and '3 Outlook Email' (based on French ROM 4.2.2.1).

The picture below shows the default process:

default0ch.jpg

Now, we can tweak the registry so that it will directly go to Inbox where you see your SMS messages / Text messages.

newinbox9jl.jpg

Our target registry string is named '1' in the following registry key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\RAI\:MSINBOX

And the value required for this key is as follows:

snap2610qe.jpg

Furthermore, we can also go directly to Media Messages:

newmmspg9pa.jpg

and the tweak for that is this as follows::

snap2625zy.jpg

Hope you have all found this useful, and you can also find a related topic here!

Final Note: Ensure you close the Inbox (using Xbar) or tmail.exe (using Task Manager) for this tweak to work! ;)

Guest chucky.egg

That's nice, but because it's a registry setting presumbaly you can't have multiple shortcuts direct to the different Inboxes (SMS, MMS, POP accounts etc)... ?

I guess if you can use a plugin to provide a shortcut you could create several hard-coded (in the xml) shortcuts, one for each

Nice tweak though, got me thinking about doing a new homescreen using this

Guest ctitanic
That's nice, but because it's a registry setting presumbaly you can't have multiple shortcuts direct to the different Inboxes (SMS, MMS, POP accounts etc)... ?

I guess if you can use a plugin to provide a shortcut you could create several hard-coded (in the xml) shortcuts, one for each

Nice tweak though, got me thinking about doing a new homescreen using this

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you can have your short cuts created and saved in \storage\windows\start menu and using the information from another trick published here already have those short cuts shown in the first screen of your Start Menu if you like. But just placing the short cuts in your Start Menu folder will be enough to have direct access to each of these inbox functionalities.

Guest chucky.egg

Yeah, but I wanted it on my Homescreen not in the Start Menu

I suppose I could pre-set the MRU to include these shortcuts, but then I lose my normal MRU bar rather than having these shortcuts as well

Guest chucky.egg

Hmm, making some progress, but not as much as I'd hoped...

I've created a shortcut in my Start Menu that goes straight to my SMS Inbox... sometimes

What i've done so far:

Create a new file type using SmartExplorer:

-In SmartExplorer go to File / Open / Manage File Types / Menu / New

-Enter .111 as the Extension

-Enter tmail.exe -service "Inbox" as the command

-Menu / Change Icons... and pick an application to borrow the icon from

Create a file called SMS.111

-I used notepad on my PC. The file can be empty

-Copy the file somewhere on your phone/SD

-Create a shortcut to the file and put it in your Start Menu

Now when you click on the shortcut it opens your Inbox. Cool

But I have 2 problems

1) Even when I close the Messaging app it sometimes returns me to the last Inbox I looked at. So if I go to Inbox on one of my POP accounts and then close messaging, that's where the shortcut returns me to. Need to check to see if there is a pattern there...

2) The -new switch doesn't work on my C500. It just doesn't seem to do anything at all (using the same setup as above, but with the command being tmail.exe -new

Any pointers would be gratefully received

Edited by chucky.egg

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
Now when you click on the shortcut it opens your Inbox.  Cool

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is indeed super cool chucky! :D

If I click on the kermit icon (Go to my Inbox), it will directly open my Inbox. What is so good about the trick is that I no longer have to kill 'tmail.exe' from running on the background! 8)

I can go back to my homescreen and re-launch / re-open Inbox whenever I want to. No more 'killing' ;)

post-12251-1116979855_thumb.jpg

Guest energ

Hi, I downloaded the tweak CAB file, but how do I get to change the registry key thing (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\RAI\:MSINBOX) ??

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Alright, let's make things a lot easier. Attached is a CAB installer. It will make necessary registry data creation and icon association. At the same time, it will create an LNK in Start Menu. Clicking on the link should open Inbox directly. I just translated chucky's trick into an installable cab file. This will help those who doesn't have SmartExplorer or those who refuse to mess with their registry. Download the file, install cab, restart device. ;)

Try it. It works on my C500. :D/

PS

I hope you like the icon. If its an eye sore, I'd gladly change it for you. Just give me an icon suggestion.

I got the icon from this icon resource file:

http://img133.exs.cx/img133/7306/tux3ky.gif

InboxTweak.CAB

post-12251-1116986157_thumb.jpg

Guest carmel
Alright, let's make things a lot easier. Attached is a CAB installer. It will make necessary registry data creation and icon association. At the same time, it will create an LNK in Start Menu. Clicking on the link should open Inbox directly. I just translated chucky's trick into an installable cab file. This will help those who doesn't have SmartExplorer or those who refuse to mess with their registry. Download the file, install cab, restart device.  ;)

Try it. It works on my C500.  :D/

PS

I hope you like the icon. If its an eye sore, I'd gladly change it for you. Just give me an icon suggestion.

I got the icon from this icon resource file:

http://img133.exs.cx/img133/7306/tux3ky.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for this Pzee. It works great and even a complete newbie like me can install it. i would have big doubts about editing the registry by myself. great work.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

No probs.

How do you find the icon? Does it look awful? Do I need to change it into a decent one? I bet you want the kermit icon! ;)

Guest chucky.egg

Good job pzee!

Icon looks fine to me

But somehow it still doesn't work for me! ;)

I always seem to get sent back to the last "Account" I accessed (e.g. one of my POP3 accounts) rather than my SMS Inbox.

I've applied your original tweak to add -service "Inbox" to the MSINBOX reg key, but that hasn't fixed it.

Do you have POP3 accounts setup? I have 4, and I've done the "Friendly Name" tweak for the SMS Inbox

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Thanks to you chucky dude for the trick. ;)

Re your question:

I haven't applied the 'friendly name' tweak and I dont have POP3 accounts. That could be the difference. Can you revert back to default states?

I've read comments that this tweak also works on the Voyager.

Guest chucky.egg

Ah ha! Sussed it

The "Inbox" setting needs changing if you have applied the "Friendly Name" tweak

My SMS Inbox is called "SMS", so the following works for me:

tmail.exe -service "SMS"

Still looking for the solution for the new SMS shortcut...

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

What fails to work on my device is the -new command. I have compiled it into a cab file using same principles as -service "Inbox" but just like what you have observed, it does nothing.

Guest chucky.egg

Whey hey! Got the New shortcut working too, not quite how I want it but pretty close

I've done a file type for .222, which runs tmail.exe -new (as in pzee's original tweak), using the EmailWiz.exe icon

When you click it you get the list of Accounts that exist in your Messaging app, and the left soft button is "Select". Choose the account to create a new message with and Bob's your Uncle!

It'd be nice to be able to tell it "New SMS", but I haven't worked that bit out yet. Gotta do some work today, so I might have to come back to this another time ;)

Guest chucky.egg

:oops: Sorry I didn't realise

Does the -new switch work on yours now then?

I found I had to delete the file type association and recreate it before it worked, but then I was playing quite late last night so I might have just stuffed it up the first time! ;)

How does -new work on yours? Does it jump straight to a new SMS, or to the list of Accounts to choose from?

The next thing for me is pre-written SMS.

I'd like to be able to create a new instance of a complete message (with recipient and message already completed), and then just press Send

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

It did jumped straight to 'New Message' window the first time I did the trick.

I thought it will not jump straight to desired task because of two other services (Media Messages and Outlook E-mail). I was wrong. I managed to hide the 2 services, applied the trick but still that little satan wont go straight to create New Message window.

Guest energ

Hey thanks pzee! I woke up read your post and did it. But the thing is, the 'open inbox' icon is so far down my menu list! How do I move it up so it appear just beneath the 'messaging' icon?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
Hey thanks pzee! I woke up read your post and did it. But the thing is, the 'open inbox' icon is so far down my menu list! How do I move it up so it appear just beneath the 'messaging' icon?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Move 'Messaging' link in Start Menu to a folder (Accessories for example). Download the zip attachment below, extract contents then dump to \Storage\windows\Start Menu

I tried it on my phone and it worked. The easiest way so far. It will place 'Inbox' and 'MMS' link to your Start Menu folder with the corresponding tweaks.

BTW, you can rename Inbox to Messaging. ;)

TryMe.zip

post-12251-1117020771_thumb.jpg

Guest energ

pzee you are the master! Thanks. Hey I also read the other tweak topic about arranging order of the menu list. I want to do what chucky.egg said, about putting them in sub-folders. But I don't know how to achieve that and he's not active in the forum. Can you help me?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Argh just read this now. Sorry for the late reply. Have you sorted your problem already? I hope so.

For those of you having a Voyager device and tried the InboxTweak CAB file, please post your observations here.

I've read isolated report regarding inability to receive SMS message after applying the tweak.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Hmm that is strange. Registry values created by InboxTweak.cab should be deleted after you uninstall the program unless you are using TryMe.zip ;)