ATT 5600 Flashed to Cingular

Guest jenya

Guest jenya

OK this is really weird... So I flashed my device to cingular ROM and overall its better, but for some reason its still hitting black holes. I have another 5600 thats originally from cingular and where im at now... the original cingualr phone has 2 bars, and mine doesnt just show no coverage... it shows a circle with a slash through it... anyone know about this?

Guest jenya

Another observation is the preffered networks... I thought this was controlled by the SIM? So I swapped the sims and it still shows the same exact preferred networks as before... this is really frustrating...

OK this is really weird... So I flashed my device to cingular ROM and overall its better, but for some reason its still hitting black holes.  I have another 5600 thats originally from cingular and where im at now... the original cingualr phone has 2 bars, and mine doesnt just show no coverage... it shows a circle with a slash through it... anyone know about this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest David_B

I think if you watch when you set prefered networks it says it's Sending and Recieving from network. Is it saved by cingular not on you phone?

OK this is really weird... So I flashed my device to cingular ROM and overall its better, but for some reason its still hitting black holes.  I have another 5600 thats originally from cingular and where im at now... the original cingualr phone has 2 bars, and mine doesnt just show no coverage... it shows a circle with a slash through it... anyone know about this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest svetter

jenya, any news on this? I did the same flash from ATT to Cingular ROM, and though it made a tiny improvement, I get huge, wild swings in signal strenth from moment to moment. It'll jump around from 4 bars to 1 or zero and then back again. This was when I was driving down the highway and, though I'd expect some change, it was not gradual and predictable at all, and not what I see when I put the same SIM into my Samsung x427m.

I think if you watch when you set prefered networks it says it's Sending and Recieving from network. Is it saved by cingular not on you phone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest jenya

Nope, I tried talking to cingular support but they are pretty clueless. I had a cingular sales rep try to give me access to his network guys who are supposed to me more knowledgeable so we will see where that gets me. Apparently you have no control over the preferred networks at all, but somehow mine did not change when I flashed the phone. I have another cingular smt5600 and it has like twice as many preferred networks then mine. It would be nice if anyone else who flashed their phone could add some input on this...

jenya, any news on this? I did the same flash from ATT to Cingular ROM, and though it made a tiny improvement, I get huge, wild swings in signal strenth from moment to moment. It'll jump around from 4 bars to 1 or zero and then back again. This was when I was driving down the highway and, though I'd expect some change, it was not gradual and predictable at all, and not what I see when I put the same SIM into my Samsung x427m.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest svetter

Well I seem to be having the same experience as well. I tried CS on the phone (mistake) and couldn't get them past the notion that "the phone comes from the manufacturer with special software for the Cingular network.....".

I had somebody on the actual Cingualar forums (former ATTWS) suggest checking to make sure ENS support is enabled and working on the phone, but I don't know how to do that. I don't find any setting for that in the OS, perhaps it's in the bootloader? That would be odd.

I have another Cingular ROM I'm going to try. The one I have now is backup.rom (backup.rar), and I also found 'Audiovox SMT5600 Cingular ROM.bin' (Cing-5600.rar) out there. Perhaps it's different.

I have 27 preferred networks on my phone right now. The odd thing is the very last one on the list is a Cingular entry, but it is not checked. When I try to check it and save the settings, it errors out on me saying incorrect password was entered. Do you know what this is?

Guest jenya

I have the same problem 28 total networks and the last one is cingular and is unchecked... ENS sounds like an idea and a reason why maybe the other SMT5600 I have here at work works that much better. I will do some research on that, I believe ENS is enabled from Cingular's side and not from the phone, but I will double check that...

Well I seem to be having the same experience as well. I tried CS on the phone (mistake) and couldn't get them past the notion that "the phone comes from the manufacturer with special software for the Cingular network.....".

I had somebody on the actual Cingualar forums (former ATTWS) suggest checking to make sure ENS support is enabled and working on the phone, but I don't know how to do that. I don't find any setting for that in the OS, perhaps it's in the bootloader? That would be odd.

I have another Cingular ROM I'm going to try. The one I have now is backup.rom (backup.rar), and I also found 'Audiovox SMT5600 Cingular ROM.bin' (Cing-5600.rar) out there. Perhaps it's different.

I have 27 preferred networks on my phone right now. The odd thing is the very last one on the list is a Cingular entry, but it is not checked. When I try to check it and save the settings, it errors out on me saying incorrect password was entered. Do you know what this is?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Austin519

Whoa...so I was all excited to do this and went ahead and backed up my Audiovox Rom...but when I tried to update it said at the bottom of the screen "not allow update". Anyone have any clue what's going on?

Austin519

Guest jenya

Svetter:

I wonder if the preferred networks is just a file that can be replaced between phones? I am sure it is, its just a tower listing thats held in a file... I am going to try to look for the file...

Guest Austin519

jenya/svetter:

You mean sim or app unlocked? I didn't think they needed to be app unlocked as I didn't think they were from the factory...as for sim unlocked no, it's not. Damn...I hate to have to pay to get it unlocked (already paid for this like 3 times now...this is my third replacement phone)...

Austin519

Guest jenya

Well after doing some intense googling, I see the ENS (Enable Network Selection) is a feature on Cingular branded phones. Since we flashed our phones, that feature should by default be enabled then? In all the forums I read on, ENS was just tweaked via registry.

Guest svetter

That's what I figured. Since we flashed our phones, the only things that (in my understanding) be different is something physical (which I highly doubt) or the firmware. I just don't know what differences are available in the firmware, or if there's anything we can do about it (easily).

I went into a Cingular store today, and their in-store 5600 had 3 bars where mine had zero. I got the name of a guy to try talking to in another Cingular store, but he's off today so I'll try him tomorrow.

Also, I'm still unable to make settings changes to my preferred network list.

Guest jenya

I'm soo frustrated right now, I think i'm just going to sell my unlocked att phone and get the cingular branded phone from cingular and pay the 200 dollars... It's just not worth the headache anymore...

Guest brownb01

why are you not able to change your perferred networks? I have an unlocked att phone, and I was easily able to change the perferred networks.

Guest svetter

That's a great question brownb01. If I knew the answer........

Jenya, I've had that same thought as well. The only thing that keeps me going is my burning hatred towards Cingular for screwing me in the first place w/regards to my ATTWS service and this phone (okay, I'm a little stubborn).

Guest hesquire

I flashed the rom from with the backup.rar file I downloaded today and everything works great. All new networks etc. and all are checked. I also had an uncheked cingular at the end of my AT&T rom, but that has changed since the flash, so it seems the rom you have is different.

Guest Cylon
I flashed the rom from with the backup.rar file I downloaded today and everything works great.  All new networks etc. and all are checked.  I also had an uncheked cingular at the end of my AT&T rom, but that has changed since the flash, so it seems the rom you have is different.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have noticed that I cannot toggle between auto and manual network selection. I used the backup.rar. Anyone else have this?

Cylon

Guest svetter

I've now used both the ROMs that I found for Cingular (backup.rar and CING-5600.rar). They both work (flash wise) but neither is giving me the phone performance/reception I am expecting.

Cylon, my understanding is that Cingular doesn't give you the option of manual network selection

Regarding the preferred networks thing. I have that list, with the unchecked one at the end. However, when I try to make a change to my preferred networks settings, after I select done I get an error (after a while of the phone trying to update the network settings) indicating "Incorrect password entered".

Anybody know about this?

Guest jenya

I also tried the 2nd ROM... im honestly just stomped... Im gonna go in to cingular and just buy the darn phone... I can't deal with this shotty coverage anymore!!!

Svetter:

Just sell the phone on ebay as a flashed/unlocked SMT5600 I am sure you can make a good deal of money back if not actually a profit...

I've now used both the ROMs that I found for Cingular (backup.rar and CING-5600.rar). They both work (flash wise) but neither is giving me the phone performance/reception I am expecting.

Cylon, my understanding is that Cingular doesn't give you the option of manual network selection

Regarding the preferred networks thing. I have that list, with the unchecked one at the end. However, when I try to make a change to my preferred networks settings, after I select done I get an error (after a while of the phone trying to update the network settings) indicating "Incorrect password entered".

Anybody know about this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Kalun47

Currently, I have the ATT firmware on the SMT5600. I am using T-Mobile service. Will I benefit if I flash my phone to the Cingular ROM?

-Thanks

-Kevin

Guest Cylon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, when I put in another SIM will I be able to select networks manually? I think I get better Cingular reception... I do notice that it seems to take a little longer to "lock" in a signal after I turn the phone on...

Cylon