TotW: Change the function of the right soft key

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

The tweak's (compose new sms tweak) known limitation is that if the last opened messaging service is NOT 'Text Messages', then it will re-open that service on next access.

In other words, if Outlook Email is the one currently shown as the messaging service, then the tweak will re-open Outlook Email.

The walkthrough for that is to have 'Text Messages' loaded on screen. You can toggle between messaging service using left or right button of your toggle bar (Action button).

This is the 'Text Messages' service/ window. If this is the last loaded (viewed) window, then it will be the one re-opened on next access.

post-12251-1118772462_thumb.jpg

I go berzerk when I cant explain things clearly ;)

Guest eikie
[..]

I go berzerk when I cant explain things clearly  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally clear now....

But that does make it kind of useless (for me), as I often use email to recieve mails, but I never send mails from my phone... So I really only need to get the new sms thing working, without, after recieving emails, going to text messages, close it, in order to work...

But many thanks for the patience and trouble... :D

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
So I really only need to get the new sms thing working, without, after recieving emails, going to text messages, close it, in order to work...

But many thanks for the patience and trouble... ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The messaging services (Text Messages, Outlook Email, IMAP4, and Media Messages) are accessed using only 1 file, 'tmail.exe'. The only way AFAIK to view a particular service is via toggling (left-right).

You can create special LNK files for a particular service but it will be useless especially if you consider my observations regarding 'last viewed' window.

I wish I could create a script for your desired tasks but there are a lot of variables to consider so it would be better to just do a manual toggling. :D

Guest fozzie
The tweak's (compose new sms tweak) known limitation is that if the last opened messaging service is NOT 'Text Messages', then it will re-open that service on next access.

In other words, if Outlook Email is the one currently shown as the messaging service, then the tweak will re-open Outlook Email.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying but I've got things working perfectly on my C500. I've got my right softkey set up for a new MMS to a predefined contact (the better half ;)) and it works every time; even if I go in to messaging and select say, an email account, hit the home key and then the right soft key. A new SMS is created fine. Perhaps I've mis-understood what you were saying?

Edited by fozzie

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

I have the same observations like you had (only the MMS part though ;) ) Im surprised to know that what I thought would'nt work actually works but we should all be happy about that.

Strange. I have 1 predefined MMS lnk and it creates new MMS regardless of 'Outlook Email' window being open. Then I have another lnk, a compose new SMS lnk, but wont work if Outlook Email window is currently active, so I have to shift to the Text messages window.

Here is the code Im using. It is from the 'NewMsg.shk' script of 'Compose NewMessage' tweak I posted at the Customisation section. This is what my right soft key opens.

SendKeyCode,91,

SendKeyCode,91,

Run,tmail.exe,-service "New",

FindWindow,Text Messages,

Type,2,

FindWindow,Text Messages,2000,

SendKeyCode,112

SendKeyCode,13

What code are you using? Mine is just a simple run tmail.exe -service "New" command saved as a script.

Guest fozzie

I've just got a link with the code

20#"\Windows\tmail.exe" -service "SMS" -to "" -body ""

saved on my start menu (buried out of the way; one could make it hidden too).

I've then set key 113 to run this link. I've also got a speed-dial to run it too. It always creates a new SMS, regardless of the state of the messaging app.

(I've now got 3 links, one to open my SMS Inbox, one to start a blank SMS & one to start a blank SMS with a receipient already filled in, and some text) ;)

Edited by fozzie

Guest jonhguth

so if i do it, but dont ever get any errors, and nothing changes does that mean my device is locked

i cant beleive that the phone doesnt come with a control settings to change the soft key

Guest Abecedarian

In the thread regarding how to do this in the Smartphone Customization's original thread about customizing the 'contact' key, pzee posted:

KeyCode 	 Keypad Key

13  Action

37  Left

38  Up

39  Right

40  down

48 - 57  0 to 9

114  Talk (Green button)

115  End (Red Button)

91  Home

27  Back

121  Record

128  Flip

129  Power

117  Vol Up

119  Star

120  Pound/Sharp

118  Vol Down

112  Menu 1

113  Menu 2  <---- RIGHT SOFT KEY  aka "Contacts"

The xBar Manual gives a similar list. However, where are these lists originally from?

And aren't there more 'keys' than this those listed? How do we assign long-presses, and other unusuals? In my ROM (AT&T Audiovox SMT5600), holding down the Home key shortcuts to my favourite list, which I would love to change. I assume it can be done, since xBar somehow manages to assign itself the long-press of the action key.

Let's expand this tweak to cover a bit more than just the right softkey, eh? Perhaps we can even assign other tricks, using more than just '(Default)' and 'Open'.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

I got the list from xetra's page (x-bar manual).

These are the references I got from MSDN regarding VirtualKey Codes:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....deConstants.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ualkeycodes.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....virtualkeys.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....l_Key_Codes.asp

You will notice that some of the codes differ from that posted at xetra's page. Autosmartphone zip file also provides a list of key codes

Here are some common key codes:

112 Left Soft Button

113 Right Soft Button

160 Left Shift

36 Home

27 Backspace

13 Return

Long press on autosmartphone is possible with a 'HoldKeyCode' command. You can refer to the included scripting instructions of autosmartphone.

Guest eikie
I've just got a link with the code

20#"\Windows\tmail.exe" -service "SMS" -to "" -body ""

saved on my start menu (buried out of the way; one could make it hidden too).

I've then set key 113 to run this link.  I've also got a speed-dial to run it too.  It always creates a new SMS, regardless of the state of the messaging app.

(I've now got 3 links, one to open my SMS Inbox, one to start a blank SMS & one to start a blank SMS with a receipient already filled in, and some text) ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, this seems like the thing I'm looking for...

Now how to get it on my phone??

Guest eikie
Download, extract then copy 'New SMS' to \Storage\windows\Start Menu

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many thanks, it works now (off course)

I'll stop bothering you now..(untill a next nice tweak comes along ;) )

thanks again...

Guest chucky.egg

I can't be certain for pzee's CABs (I think the only difference between pzee's CABs and mine is the method used to open a new message) but in general Yes - if you remove the application it should revert back to the default function

Quick question - anyone know where speed dials are stored?

Guest ocker

So after around 40 minutes of playing, this still refuses to work on my HTC Feeler (SP2003SE).

The best I can get is from the registry value behind the button to open tmail at the account selection screen (SMS, MMS, or outlook).

All other information after the first space (any of the command line options, in other words) are either ignored or throw an error ("... can't find component...") depending on what I do with double quotes.

I can use the button to successfully call a shortcut like others in this thread have, but curiously, this not only opens the "Compose Message" screen for SMS but ALSO still opens the "contacts" screen (double banger!)

I'll play some more when I have some free time, but if anyone has any ideas on what else to try, I'll try 'em.

In the thread regarding how to do this in the Smartphone Customization's original thread about customizing the 'contact' key, pzee posted:

KeyCode 	 Keypad Key

13  Action

37  Left

38  Up

39  Right

40  down

48 - 57  0 to 9

114  Talk (Green button)

115  End (Red Button)

91  Home

27  Back

121  Record

128  Flip

129  Power

117  Vol Up

119  Star

120  Pound/Sharp

118  Vol Down

112  Menu 1

113  Menu 2  <---- RIGHT SOFT KEY  aka "Contacts"

The xBar Manual gives a similar list.  However, where are these lists originally from?

And aren't there more 'keys' than this those listed?  How do we assign long-presses, and other unusuals?  In my ROM (AT&T Audiovox SMT5600), holding down the Home key shortcuts to my favourite list, which I would love to change.  I assume it can be done, since xBar somehow manages to assign itself the long-press of the action key.

Let's expand this tweak to cover a bit more than just the right softkey, eh?  Perhaps we can even assign other tricks, using more than just '(Default)' and 'Open'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the key assigned to the button on the right which by default activates the camera?

I can't quite understand it from the list above.

I want to change that function, as it is really annoying when it activates by itself and then your battery is gone after not long.

Thanks

Guest crazzel

is it possible to get to my alarm timer with the right action key? (programs -> properties -> time and stuff) - how? =)

i can get to options only

Guest citron01

Does anyone know how I set it up with the recent calls list? I just dont ike contacts I wanna see people who have called me as well.