Remove certification requirement from the SPV (continued)

Guest Rob_Quads

Guest Rob_Quads

I am having trouble doing the hack. I wait for Active sync to see the phone but as soon as it does the phone is booted and on the home screen. I move the files as soon as I can but it always seems to be too late ;)

Anyone have any hints?

Two hints:

1) Ensure you are pulling the battery out on the three colour Canary screen, not just pushing the power button.

2) Only put the phone in the cradle about 3 seconds after the blue screen appears (and placing the file only works after a hard reset).

Nice now i know why orange locked phones! Just f*cked my windows media player trying todo this...... EDIT:Sorted (i am so stupid see below)

"1.) Unlock your phone so that you can run un-certified applications. (The

method where you edit the XML files DOES WORK! [uK phones too] )

2.) Copy the Media Player skin (Attached) to a directory either under

"IPSM" or on your SD card. (For this example we will use "Storage CardMy

DocumentsmediaSkin")

3.) Install "PHM Registry Editor". (This can be found at

"http://www.phm.lu/Products/Smartphone/RegEdit/")

4.) Run PHM Registry Editor and goto " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software /

Microsoft / Windows Media Player 8 / Parameters " and change the "SkinDir"

value so that it reflects where you placed the skin files. ("Storage

CardMy DocumentsmediaSkin" in our case)

"

Nope sorted ;) will have to remeber the final in future :lol:

Hmm, this is being taken way more seriously by the media than I expected - I presumed most media sources would take a stance like that of The Register, but it seems Orange and MS are taking it seriously too...

Guest spacemonkey

The media just hears the word Hacking and immediately thinks it's about virus's which is good for news but not accurate.

Especially as the method used doesn't open up the priveleged end of the phone (ie SMS protocols etc) although the technique could be used to do this.

On top of that it only unlocks the actual hacked phone. So I could potentially write a "virus" load it on my phone but it won't be able to propogate to any locked phone, or probably even to any unlocked phone.

It's just the usual big media not investigating or understanding the issues.

Thats intresting that their taking it seriously my stance on this is that they should have done something about certification from the start if they wanted to keep it. It it was inevitable that people would get pissed off and break it when orange offer developers NO KIND OF SUPPORT!

Guest Moony1234

my phone is now ballsed!!!

great ;)

Done the following:

phone off.

battery out, battery in.

voice memo in, power on, wait, card found, buttons off, press and hold action key.

press 8, wait for IPSM to be erased. IPSM is erased, press left key, there is nothing beside "3." and there is nothing that says "END" so i take battery out/poweroff then power back on.

Just stays at orange sunset screen :lol: thats all it does.

Guys i need help with this one :lol: its broken my phone!!!!!!

Guest spacemonkey

You need to press left a few times, first time takes you back to the first menu, then each press takes you to another menu.

Also, after you've erased IPSM on the first boot it will sit on the Orange screen for ages like maybe a few minutes as it is recreating the IPSM from ROM at this stage. Just have patience and it should come back.

After the IPSM is erased, press left TWICE, then select end.

When the phone starts back up, you might be on that sunset screen for some time - my first hard reset took almost 10 minutes.

A hard reset cures just about any dumb stuff I've tried to do with the phone, so I don't think its broken.

Good luck.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Yep, all we want is some flexablilty to develop on. As has been said its the media picking up on "hackers" and "viruses", obviously this workaround is going to bring the Orange network to its knees. Maybe the press's "sources" should point them to the forums and newsgroups.

Either way this is now an incentive to learn C++ ;)

Guest spacemonkey
there is no freakin "end" lol

infact menu items:

1,3,5,7 are blank, others are:

0. save all

2. save ce

4. save gsm

6. save ipsm

8. erase ipsm

That is the first menu. Pressing left will offer you others. If you take out your SD Card you'll find the only thing on this first menu is 8. erase IPSM.

press left... I say again LEFT

yeah, microsoft and orange (mostly orange i guess , since the smartphone has security that allow user to make code that can do anything but use the radio part of the phone) conveniently forgets that we were promised smartphones with tons of software from tons of developers, that every programmer that could program for windows could make software that would run on the phone.

what a lot of bull

i love my phone but right now it isnt much better than a Nokia 3310 .....except that i have "hacked" it so i can develop for it...which apparently makes me public enemy no. 1

if microsoft and orange had made good on their promises that we could have the phones opened for development they wouldnt be in this situation