Orange SPV M500 Released!

Guest Dade

Just called CS, the guy said that it wasn't on the database so couldn't give me a price :-(

Help, need one/want one!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also asked about this phone in my orange dealer and they looked at me like I was making it all up!

Think I might pay the difference and use my sim with a qtek or imate.

The M500 and the JAM are essentially the same thing; both HTC Magician devices. The JAM is slightly curvier than the M500 but the overall dimensions, weight, connector config. etc. are the same. The differences are cosmetic. Personally I prefer the M500, I like the button changes and the fact that the case colour is darker than the JAM, more of a titanium colour.

Ive only had the M500 for about 24hrs so its pretty hard to say what its going to be like living with it but my first impressions of it are good. It seems a lot smaller than it looks. That may sound strange but if you compare the size of the M500 against the M2000 in a photograph there doesnt seem all that much between them but when you start to use the M500 you realise how much smaller it really is.

That said, the screen retains its usability. In fact using an M1000/M2000 after the M500 seems quite awkward.

For those of you not familliar with PocketPC Phone Edition devices, there are a number of different text input methods available.

There are a couple of variations of what it essentially a handwriting recogniser, which works remakably well. Then there is Soft Input Panel (SIP) which is an on-screen QWERTY keyboard. There is also a 'PhonePad' which is an on-screen T9.

Most of the time I use the SIP keybaord but if Im using MSN or texting I tend to use the PhonePad. Its possible to type pretty quickly with these but the Keyboard requires more stylus accuracy, something of a problem on a moving train!

Its a case of what you get used to really. Having been an M2000 user for the past 9 or so months I can tell you that I dont miss the physical slide-out keyboard from the M2000 one bit. I rarely used it anyway.

Feel free to post more questions. Ill try to put together some kind of review in the same format as my M2000 review as soon as I have time!

I also asked about this phone in my orange dealer and they looked at me like I was making it all up!

Think I might pay the difference and use my sim with a qtek or imate.

I had some fun at lunchtime today. A friend and I went into the local Orange shop and looked around at their offering. When asked by a member of staff if I needed any assistance I told them I was looking for an M500. A strange look crossed the guys face, then 'Im sorry sir Orange don't stock the NOKIA(!) M500'

I pull the thing out of my pocket and say 'So Orange don't sell these?!'

lol

Come on Orange, sort yourselves out. People are hungry for these devices, you are missing out on sales!

Hey Dade, do you have any more pictures of the thing in use yet that you could share with us?

Are you able to use the t9 phonepad to input text in messenger?

are you able to choose contact by entering an name on the phonepad instead of the number?

Cheers!

Hey Dade, do you have any more pictures of the thing in use yet that you could share with us?

Are you able to use the t9 phonepad to input text in messenger?

are you able to choose contact by entering an name on the phonepad instead of the number?

Cheers!

You can use the T9 for text input anywhere and yes you can enter names or numbers on phonepad.

More pictures soon!

Guest jonhitch

Thanks Dade - I think you're helping a number of us 'cope' with the wait. I really look forward to the review. I've read your M2000 review and was very impressed!

Guest MitchellO

If you read any review of the various HTC Magicians (JAM, XDA II Mini, s100, Krome Spy, M500). They are all the same, just maybe a different cover, and different box and accessories. THe guts of the device itself is uniform.

I love mine!!!

Guest Squuiid

Nooooo! Really?! That probably means it won't ever run WM2005!

Oh well, will have to stick to my M1000 running WM2005 thanks to Buzz of xda-developers.com! :)

Guest ClintEastman

Well I have just had a call from Orange after I made a complaint yesterday about the complete incompetence and rudeness of one of there representatives in there retail arm (can't be bothered going into in now but I'm sure you can guess), the upshot of it is that the M500 isn't official out and they can't even give me a date!!!

I'm guessing the one you have been supplied Dade is a early/pre release handset and you must be one hell of a business customer to get one this early!

So it's back to waiting around for Orange to pull there finger out and release it!! (I'm guessing it will Officially come out with the C550 on the 11th July. :)

Edited by ClintEastman

Sorry, but you have been misled by Orange. The device is on general sale.

I now have two anyway, one that came from my Orange contact and the other that I ordered through my personal account.

I have also ordered a number of these for colleagues on our business account.

Guest I. C. Monsters

Surely if the M500 was on general sale it would be available to buy from the orange.co.uk site or at least one of thier stores. I can't find any sign of the M500 anywhere in Nottingham (Where there are 3 Orange dealers that I know of).

Does anyone actually know when this device will be available for the general public to buy?

Guest confused and hungover

i'm sat here looking at Orange.nl seriously considering taking on another contract in order to get this phone... 32 euros a month for 2 years and the phone is free. i can't find a 1 year contract even if i pay for the phone but my contract runs out on my C500 in december.

opinions please

OK so having spoken to a senior manager at Orange here is the low down on the situation with the M500.

The handset has been released but, although its available for all, they are only accepting orders from business customers at the moment as they have limited stock.

Im told that they will not appear in Orange shops for the time being unless the shop has a Business section.

I assume that the limited stock situation is why its not showing on the Orange website at the moment.

Hope this clears a few things up.

Still, I'm happy with mine though! :)

Guest ClintEastman
OK so having spoken to a senior manager at Orange here is the low down on the situation with the M500.

The handset has been released but, although its available for all, they are only accepting orders from business customers at the moment as they have limited stock.

Im told that they will not appear in Orange shops for the time being unless the shop has a Business section.

I assume that the limited stock situation is why its not showing on the Orange website at the moment.

Hope this clears a few things up.

Still, I'm happy with mine though! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now I can sit back and rest assured that I'm not going crazy, cheers Dade!! :D

[EDIT] Just noticed that we both joined MoDaCo on the same day Dade. :)

Edited by ClintEastman

Guest I. C. Monsters

Thanks for that clarification Dade. I'm due an upgrade any time now, I guess I'll have to be patient. 8)

Can anyone become a business customer, or are there specific requirements? It can't be that easy, can it?

Thanks for that clarification Dade. I'm due an upgrade any time now, I guess I'll have to be patient.  8)

Can anyone become a business customer, or are there specific requirements? It can't be that easy, can it?

If memory serves, you have to have a certain number of employees and connections to have an Orange Business Solutions account.

Guest mupwangle

>>free on YP200 with 4 months free line rental via cashback.

Have a look elsewhere on the forum to see why you shouldn't touch them. (Cashback is very difficult to get back - I sure as hell didn't)

Guest jonhitch

I've had similar problems with Cashback offers in the past. Either not replying in the 'small window' of opportunity or just not receiving the money.

For that reason I now often wait for the networks to release phones on their own websites. Hence the desperation of waiting for the M500. I've never been so eager to have a phone!

Can't wait for the Dade review. When do you think it will be done? Here's hoping that the M500 will atleast be released on the 11th with the C550 - any more and I'm not sure I'd be able to cope!

Orange upgrades staff are bloody hilarious:

"when's the SPV M500 available please?"

- "Do you mean the C550?"

"No, I mean the M500"

- "Erm, I've never heard of that, it's not even on the system as under review, are you sure it exists? If it's not on the system it won't be out for at least 2 or 3 months"

"But one of your colleagues told me yesterday it should be available within the next 2 weeks"

- "um...err...are you sure?"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.