M500 Bug?

Guest Dade

Guest Dade

I've noticed a problem with my M500.

I can connect to GPRS no problem, do what a need to do etc. and disconnect. I then try to reconnect to GPRS to do something else and it tries several times to connect then times out. If I soft reset the device I can then connect back to GPRS no problem.

Noticed this a few times over the weekend and now having the same problem on my other M500. Anyone else having the problem?

Its very similar to the problem on the E100 when that first came out.

Guest beersoft

the gprs connection will timeout after $randomtime of inactivity, its just the way it is, limited ip's on the network, limited bandwith etc blah blah blah

it not reconnecting without a reboot does bring back some happy memories, dade you sure its not pant related? i remember gprs works better with blue or red pants over black, and anyother colour it refuses to work on a random basis :)

later

Owen

Guest Confused Stu

I always found with my original SPV that it used to connect to GPRS better when sworn at repeatedly. The louder the swearing got, the quicker it used to connect.

Might be worth trying with the M500 too? :)

Guest sleighty

I can connect to GPRS no problem, do what a need to do etc. and disconnect. I then try to reconnect to GPRS to do something else and it tries several times to connect then times out. If I soft reset the device I can then connect back to GPRS no problem.

Noticed this a few times over the weekend and now having the same problem on my other M500. Anyone else having the problem?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is no help I know, but my E200 does that 20% or 30% of the time. Got the rom upgrade. It happens more often if using bluetooth. Got used to it now.

Guest confused and hungover

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My M500 does the exact same thing, i used it all day saturday and had loads of problems getting it to connect.... like you said, the first time it connects fine then it fails on a second attempt. i haven't used it since cos i caned 4 MB in one day but it seems like it the same bug... i managed to reconnect after about 5 tries, didn't think to soft reset it.

I always found with my original SPV that it used to connect to GPRS better when sworn at repeatedly.  The louder the swearing got, the quicker it used to connect.

Might be worth trying with the M500 too?  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i tried shouting at it, i threatened it with violence, at one point i drunkenly dropped it down the stairs (accidently)

Guest broughs

I have had this problem on my imate jam - happens a lot firat connection fine after that "Cannot reconnect for an unknown reason." Imate released a patch for rom 1.11 which helped (can go for about a day without the problem) but did not resolve it. In Rom 1.12 it was worse. They know they have a problem and are currently working on a solution. I have downgraded to 1.06 which works fine for GPRS but has a bluetooth problem which can be fixed with another patch. I now have a fully functional working device which is great.

Long explanation for what I think is a generic rom problem for all HTC Magicians.

regards

Stu

Edited by broughs

Well at least I know Im not alone!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i actually asked a guy who works downstairs, he has the same phone, same problem... doesn't bother him though as he doesn't use GPRS that much

Guest Disco Stu

I had a period of this happening recently but it has stopped now; possibly after installing the iMate 1.12 ROM.

At the time though I just put it down to Orange

Guest broughs

It appears to be a conflict - with what | don't know but I had it on 1.11 and 1.12 imate roms. After I downgraded to 1.06WWE and applied the 'No bluetooth hardware patch' everything worked fine.

If only we could find out what is causing it. I spent a lot of time on it to no success.

Stu

Guest Dade
It appears to be a conflict - with what | don't know but I had it on 1.11 and 1.12 imate roms. After I downgraded to 1.06WWE and applied the 'No bluetooth hardware patch' everything worked fine.

If only we could find out what is causing it. I spent a lot of time on it to no success.

Stu

I have informed my contacts at Orange technical (and linked them to this thread) so the more info we can provide the better.

I have informed my contacts at Orange technical (and linked them to this thread)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

better edit out the part about dropping it down the stairs :shock: :shock:

Guest Samsonite

my qtek s100 is the same.. i'm on o2 so it aint just an Orange flavoured problem...

ROM 1.11 if that makes any sense to anyone...

The XDA forum has pages and pages of people with this hiccup so there must a common issue...

Doesnt really bother me, a small price to pay for such a cool device!

my M500 has started sending all text messages twice... i thought this might be an issue with jeyo mobile extender but it's doing it even when no connected to the PC. is this a hardware, software or operator bug?

Sounds like that could be an expensive error!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

indeed... i think i've read something about this on the forum before... need to go have a look

Guest monty1

I have had problems getting my GPRS working , When I hit the Explorer icon it looks like it is working but nothing happens I have a simple workaround . I Go to my favourites in internet explorer and tap on a website , the GPRS connecting balloon appears and off I go . This works for me everytime . I am using the original T mobile ROM .

indeed... i think i've read something about this on the forum before... need to go have a look

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think i've narrowed this down to PPB pocket plus... something about the close button, i've disabled it completly for now and i think its stopped it... anyone else have experience of this program??

oh, and i still can't connect to GPRS properly...

EDIT: i tried connecting to favourites and that works, not to practical though, y'know, loading the entire internet into your favourites folder :) :D :D :lol:

Edited by confused and hungover

Guest MitchellO

The problem is if you close (not smart minimize like default without pocket plus) too soon, before the PPC confirms the message is sent, it stays in the outbox. Next time you open Messaging, it still in the outbox and gets sent again.

Wait for the "Message Sent" box to pop out of the taskbar before closing. I had this happen many times, and finally worked out that it was this. I use vBar, which actually closes when you click the X. When I opened, it would send the msg again, and I would get the message sent box.

The problem is if you close (not smart minimize like default without pocket plus) too soon, before the PPC confirms the message is sent, it stays in the outbox. Next time you open Messaging, it still in the outbox and gets sent again.

Wait for the "Message Sent" box to pop out of the taskbar before closing. I had this happen many times, and finally worked out that it was this. I use vBar, which actually closes when you click the X. When I opened, it would send the msg again, and I would get the message sent box.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have disabled the close button feature completly now... seems to have stopped it. i'm not sure what it actually does anyway :?: cheers for the advice :)

wait, oh i see.... i can see how the close button is a good thing, is it? dammit, can't think straight today. someone shout at me please.

Guest Dade
i have disabled the close button feature completly now... seems to have stopped it. i'm not sure what it actually does anyway  :?:  cheers for the advice :)

wait, oh i see.... i can see how the close button is a good thing, is it? dammit, can't think straight today. someone shout at me please.

I had this problem on the M1000 for a while. Each time I put the device in the cradle and run active sync it would send about 5 text messages. I had to delete the outbox all the time!