C500 UK Update now

Guest beersoft

Guest simon211175

go to the Account Setup menu and then click the right softkey to bring up the menu. Click "new" and setup the account.

Edited by simon211175

Guest shutdown

I see what you mean but for some reason I cannot change the option.

Starting to regret the upgrade now. The phone doesn't seem to be any faster, lost POP3 and the WM10 is notthing to write home about.

Guest Griff_FFOC
clicky noises (through headset). Not while playing music but with the system sounds. Eg, keypress blip is followed by short "crackle". I turned off as many system sounds as I can and it's not crucial to me, but...!

Defo didnt happen before this update.

And it's not the infamous 17 second hiss noise either.

anyone else, or am I alone on this one?

I know exactly what you mean. When I have the headset plugged in and go up and down the start menu, if I go slowly I seem to get a crackle instead of a positive click. If I move quickly it seems to click like it should do.

I've turned system sounds off and it's better but can still be heard in some places. TBH I don't use the headset too often so will see if I can live with it. Other than that got no reason to go back to the earlier ROM.

Guest stevekay

Has anyone else noticed that hitting the green 'call start' key now displays the full call history list rather than a list of outgoing calls?

The list also includes missed calls, and calls from unknown (withheld) numbers.

Guest stewrose

well i have to say I have done it but there are one or two things that i notice hapen

1) the ring tone that i had installed and using stayed on the phone didnt have to reinstall that.

2) phone had to be app unlocked so that is true

3) phone still sim unlocked so that worked

4) windows midia player 10 like it lot better than old 9 lot more feature and better to use

5) have had some difficulties with blue tooth but not investigeted properly yet

anyone else got any coments

Guest Disco Stu
1) the ring tone that i had installed and using stayed on the phone didnt have to reinstall that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where was the ringtone stored before you did the upgrade ?

Guest zippy172
Are they limiting download speeds?  I'm only getting 24KB/s on my 2mbit ADSL connection.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, 23Meg just flew down at 155Kbytes/sec here :)

Guest stewrose
Where was the ringtone stored before you did the upgrade ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The ringtone was on the sd card

but quite amazed that it kept the setting i had no change to do

the other thing is i think the memory has changed i should have noted the different memory cat. and there sizes before i upgraded but i seem to thin that thw phone is using more system memory than before

Guest jim.mason
I was wondering what happened to my POP account!!

I get no context menu when in messaging

I get :

1:Media messaging

2: Text

3:Outlook Email

4:IMAP4

and the menu button only says Select

I'm missing something from my menu?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) Started the IMAP4 account setup, but where the account type is, this is greyed out and will not let me change it.

:exclaim: However, all is not lost as I carried on as if setting up POP3 and did a send and receive. To my surprise it downloaded emails

Guest Hawko

Hello all.

Well, its been a while coming, and it still is, downloading it on the exceptionally slow dial up connection i have, but i'll get there in the end. :D/

After reading through all the comments i just wana clarify stuff;

-- I'll be able to put all my contacts back on the phone using activsync and outlook

-- The data on my SD doesn't get messed with

-- I'll need to app unlock again (where do i do that again!!?)

What i really wana know is if there is a way for me to backup the SMS and MMS stuff i have on my phone, to then be able to just wack them back on after the upgrade is installed. Can i just go to a specific location before i upgrade, copy them on the computer and then copy them back afterwards??! :?:

If so, what are the locations i need to copy??! :??:

If i can't save all that stuff i dunno if i can be bothered, loosing that stuff would be a damn shame.

Sigh, if only the orange site told us more.

Please reply if you have a solid answer. :)

Guest Hawko

Excellent, that clears up quite a bit for me, cheers. but does what you say actually backup the sms and mms stuff??

What do you mean by orange backup using passthrough?? is that still backing up onto my computer!? or to orange itself?? just that i've never used that backup thing. :shock:

Guest dutchphoto

I tried to update (dutch version on a unlocked C500) and I get a error 264 when it is checking the connection. Just at the same moment de connection with AS is disconnected(AS icon turn from green to gray), and I am in the three-color screen.

I disabled the virus scanner, and everthingelse I could think of.I also tried different usb ports.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Henk

Guest awarner [MVP]

The only problem with the Dutch c500 update is that does not appear to be official as it is not available on the Orange.nl site.

If it is indeed leaked\hacked chances are it may not be complete and so there is always a risk in updating.

Also did you unlock the free way or via IMEI-check.co.uk?

Guest dutchphoto
' date='Jul 16 2005, 23:57']The only problem with the Dutch c500 update is that does not appear to be official as it is not available on the Orange.nl site.

If it is indeed leaked\hacked chances are it may not be complete and so there is always a risk in updating.

Also did you unlock the free way or via IMEI-check.co.uk?

EDIT link removed

Members ONLY!

I bough this phone unlocked. What trick is used I don't know!

Thanks.

Henk.

Edited by awarner [MVP]

Guest awarner [MVP]

The above link has been removed, please only link to official Orange sites for their ROM updates.

It is unlikely that Oranage would officially release a ROM via a public forum and not it's own official site. Also it is unlikely that an official ROM would be released with certain settings missing like MMS for example.

I am currently awaiting official confirmation from Orange regarding this matter.

Guest tmohammad

Has anyone else noticed that after the upgrade to the new ROM, the battery life seems to have diminished somewhat.

I used to get 4-5 days now its 3-4 days (I switch my phone off at 10:30 every night and on again at 7:30 in the morning).

Guest reubenhowes
Be aware, unless Orange have addressed this of late, that if you use the Orange Backup service to backup your contacts then these will not synchronise with Outlook - activesync will just hang if you try and synchronise them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have absolute proof - the problem - NOT fixed - you end up having to delete the enteries on phone - activesync will work as long as you do not try to sync any data with outlook, but you can explore the phone

Guest tmohammad
mine is fine... how full was your battery when you did the upgrade?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just followed the instructions and waited till the phone was Fully charged before carrying out the update.

Does it really matter?

I would have thought its just a precaution to have enough power in the phone before you begin.

Edited by tmohammad

Guest James

the only thing i can think of... i remember someone did a test a year or so ago and it was found that you actualy get better battery life when the update was done on a high capacity battery!! weird i know :/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dpeilow
I highly recommend leaving your C500 in the state it is in.

Moosery, I can confirn the update causes all manner of clicks and humms to the headset. Which makes my purchase of decent headphones a joke. It also means WM10 is pointless.

Congrats Orange on another fine reason to buy a C550!! :evil:

Anyone know where I can get the old rom file so I can downgrade?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you sure this isn't coincidence. I got a decent pair of Senheissers and couldn't believe the sound quality coming out of the phone - including clicks and hums, not to mention overall signal/noise - and I'm still using WMP9. It anoyed me so much that I just went and bought a Gigabeat F60 and won't be going back to any combined music/phone until they sort sound quality out above all else.

Dave

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.