C550 disappointing.

Guest simon11

Guest simon11

I have an SPVE200 with several add ons and Tom-tom mobile 5. I wanted to upgrade 8 monthsto to the C500 but my son bought one and it looked cheap & crappy. I thought I would wait for the C550. Now it appears that this is no better and will not run tom-tom software at the moment. I will have to wait and see if the M500 is anything worth having otherwise I shall have to wait for another model.

Very disappointing

What are orange doing?

Simon.

Edited by simon11

Guest Dr Who
I have an SPVE200 with several add ons and Tom-tom mobile 5. I wanted to upgrade 8 monthsto to the C500 but my son bought one and it looked cheap & crappy. I thought I would wait for the C550.  Now it appears that this is no better and will not run tom-tom software at the moment.  I will have to wait and see if the M500 is anything worth having otherwise I shall have to wait for another model.

Very disappointing

What are orange doing?

Simon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are still using an E200 I would massively recommend updating to the C500, and I am guessing the C550. The experience is SO much more pleasant on the C500. I hated the E200. IMHO it was much worse than the E100, which itself was a pain in the arse. Compared to either of them the C500 works REALLY well.

Guest simon11
If you are still using an E200 I would massively recommend updating to the C500, and I am guessing the C550. The experience is SO much more pleasant on the C500. I hated the E200. IMHO it was much worse than the E100, which itself was a pain in the arse. Compared to either of them the C500 works REALLY well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As stated my son has a C500 and a part from being a bit smaller it doesn't do anything that mine doesn't with the add ons. It looks cheap and fragile. He doesn't like it much and he was going to upgrade to C550 but won't now.

I find nothing wrong with the E200 apart from battery life. But I allways have it on charge in my vehicles anyway so that doesn't matter.

I expected the C550 to be a bit more advanced than just bluetooth and perhaps have more in the way of business softwarte and not just music.

I think Coolsmartphone are right in saying that it isn't really a worthwhile upgrade if you have a C500 and that it would be better waiting for the C600. I don't see anything to attract me to it! In fact it looks like the C550 is now back to the size of the SPVE200!!!

A waste of twelve months research if you ask me!

Simon.

Guest Dr Who
As stated my son has a C500 and a part from being a bit smaller it doesn't do anything that mine doesn't with the add ons. It looks cheap and fragile. He doesn't like it much and he was going to upgrade to C550 but won't now.

I find nothing wrong with the E200 apart from battery life. But I allways have it on charge in my vehicles anyway so that doesn't matter.

I expected the C550 to be a bit more advanced than just bluetooth and perhaps have more in the way of business softwarte and not just music.

I think Coolsmartphone are right in saying that it isn't really a worthwhile upgrade if you have a C500 and that it would be better waiting for the C600. I don't see anything to attract me to it! In fact it looks like the C550 is now back to the size of the SPVE200!!!

A waste of twelve months research if you ask me!

Simon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well true enough the C500 doesn't do anything the E200 can't do - it just does it better, faster and more reliably. looks are a subjective thing I guess. I thought the pictures of the C500 looked awful before it came out but it is a good looking phone. And it is far better assembled than an E200, IMHO. OK the battery case of the C500 is plasticky but the rest feels good. And the back of the E200 is pretty horrible. I would agree that the C550 isn't at all revolutionary, and is barely evolutionary. For my next upgrade I want a C500 size phone, with even better screen, 3G and wifi. Oh, and no dust. Personally I would have taken pretty much ANY phone over an E200 - I was gutted that I gave up my E100 for it!

Guest the loc-man

just got my C550 from aE200 before.

seems ok, much better size but was expecting smaller actually whats it like in size compared to C500?

Guest simon11
Well true enough the C500 doesn't do anything the E200 can't do - it just does it better, faster and more reliably. looks are a subjective thing I guess. I thought the pictures of the C500 looked awful before it came out but it is a good looking phone. And it is far better assembled than an E200, IMHO. OK the battery case of the C500 is plasticky but the rest feels good. And the back of the E200 is pretty horrible. I would agree that the C550 isn't at all revolutionary, and is barely evolutionary. For my next upgrade I want a C500 size phone, with even better screen, 3G and wifi. Oh, and no dust. Personally I would have taken pretty much ANY phone over an E200 - I was gutted that I gave up my E100 for it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had the E100 also but I was fed up with sticking a bluetooth adaptor on the bottom for my earpiece when the driving laws changed. I kept knocking the adaptor of my belt. I can only remember excitement over the new phone.

People that had trouble with the E200 was due usually to using third party software and hard re-setting mucking up the gprs settings etc.

I may be an odd one out but the E200 is def the best phone I have owned. The things it didn't have I have added with third party software. Gprs monitoring, search facility for the calendar and E-mail, voice dialling & file manager plus tomtom satelite navigation. etc. etc.

Wow! my mouth is watering!! I am in no real rush to change as there isn't anything really better at the moment.

I will look at the M500 when it is out but might wait for the C600 C700 C800 if need be.

I had to edit this because it posted itself too soon.

Simon.

Edited by simon11

Guest spacerace

the M500 is a significantly different beast from the E200 / C500 / C550

PPCPE (Pocket PC Phone Edition) has many advantages in terms of functionality, but many drawbacks, and on the M500 (I actually have the JAM) the lack of a keypad made me switch back to my C500 pretty quickly.

I'm not sure it will be "the answer" you've been waiting for !

Guest soup dragon
I have an SPVE200 with several add ons and Tom-tom mobile 5. I wanted to upgrade 8 monthsto to the C500 but my son bought one and it looked cheap & crappy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scarey. I had an e200 for about 2 months and then got a C500 when they came out last year - i wouldn 't even pick up the e200 now. Personally I think the C500 is the best small SPV that's been released so far.

I'm hoping to get an M500 next week but I always have the C500 as a fall-back in the unlikely situation that I don't like it (I quite like PPCs).

Guest simon11
the M500 is a significantly different beast from the E200 / C500 / C550

PPCPE (Pocket PC Phone Edition) has many advantages in terms of functionality, but many drawbacks, and on the M500 (I actually have the JAM) the lack of a keypad made me switch back to my C500 pretty quickly.

I'm not sure it will be "the answer" you've been waiting for !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Point taken! I was wondering about that just prior to reading your post. I was looking at the spec on the orange site. It doesn't come up as an available upgrade model yet anyway.

I will give it a miss I think!

Cheers

:|

Simon.

Guest Pondrew

The C550 is barely an evolution? It's QVGA! How many Smartphones have been QVGA before? None.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm about to go out and buy one as I'm happy with my MDA III and SPVE200 until upgrade time comes along. I'm just saying the C550 is without doubt the best Smartphone out there...

Oh, and the C550 as big as an E200? Me thinks someone hasn't actually seen one...

Guest spacerace

I didn't realise what a difference QVGA would make, until I installed software at the fixed resolution of the standard C500 screen, and it sits occupying about 2/3 of the screen with a large white border on the right and bottom.

Guest Alex_le_brit

Well for all those happy C500, and C550 owners with an old E200 sitting round in their drawer gathering dust, do you want to donate it to this poor English teacher who's about to go off and do 18 months volunteer teaching in Mongolia with an aid agency?

Guest simon11
Oh, and the C550 as big as an E200? Me thinks someone hasn't actually seen one...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hold my hand up to that one! I was reading an article that said it was larger than the c500. On the Orange site it states that it is the same size?

Simon.

Guest ah5150
Hold my hand up to that one!  I was reading an article that said it was larger than the c500. On the Orange site it states that it is the same size?

Simon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think cos its more block like and slightly less rounded if that makes sense. btw i'm getting one as soon as i'm in the 11th month of my c500 contract

Guest spacerace
i think cos its more block like and slightly less rounded if that makes sense.  btw i'm getting one as soon as i'm in the 11th month of my c500 contract

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the measurements have it bigger by 1 or 2 millimeters !

c500c550_1.jpg

c500c550_2.jpg

Guest spacerace

Yes, height and width are virtually the same, the depth of the phone is slightly bigger visually and also it feels bulkier when holding, but it still feels fine for me. Also I've not checked the weight specs but if you hold one in each hand the C550 actually seems lighter to me.

Guest Radeon12345
I've not checked the weight specs but if you hold one in each hand the C550 actually seems lighter to me.

Just tried the C500 in one hand and the C550 in the other and the C550 seems like half the wait to me :shock:

Guest spudboy

got my 550 now, after lookin at it for a while im impressed but also dissappointed at the same time, i have put a few wmv movies on my 550 and the screen size in full screen is tiny, wether that is cos the 550 can handle larger bit rates i dunno, but thats my first worry, i was lookin forward to full screen movies with seein my mates with their c500's! i will find a way. when i lock the keypad its the same as before, when i press the key to start unlocking it flashes up with time and date in large numbers, weird? the 'media' buttons look good as they are but i have loaded a few mp3 tracks and they have no control over what is playin???!!! any press of those buttons takes you to a different player, the music player rather than windows media 10 player, the music player requires connection to gprs so is gonna cost me money every time i want to use it, i have a couple of gigs worth of mp3s to use, why should i use the music player over my free tracks in media player!!!!

bad drills!!

Guest spacerace
when i lock the keypad its the same as before, when i press the key to start unlocking it flashes up with time and date in large numbers, weird?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this is a setting: Start - Settings - More - Unlock Screen Clock - Enable / Disable

the 'media' buttons look good as they are but i have loaded a few mp3 tracks and they have no control over what is playin???!!! any press of those buttons takes you to a different player, the music player rather than windows media 10 player, the music player requires connection to gprs so is gonna cost me money every time i want to use it, i have a couple of gigs worth of mp3s to use, why should i use the music player over my free tracks in media player!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this is also a setting: Start - Settings - More - Button Settings - Select Windows Media Player

i have put a few wmv movies on my 550 and the screen size in full screen is tiny, wether that is cos the 550 can handle larger bit rates i dunno, but thats my first worry, i was lookin forward to full screen movies with seein my mates with their c500's!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you encoding for the higer resolution screen on the 550 (320x240)? I have encoded a few episodes of CSI for mine and they are way better than those done for my e200!!

Guest the loc-man

how are you encoding NX5? do all movie and stuff have to be at 240X320 now for the C550?

so far I think its wicked, looks much better than the C500 I think.