Great we got a joystick..!

Guest pierre

Guest pierre

Beside the problem of compatibility with applications, here's one more question I ask before getting one C550 or C600: Is the joystick 8 ways?

Guest Pondrew

I think only 2 HTC Smartphone models have ever had eight way. The original SPV and the Voyager sister phone (with a Canary like case) that was never marketed over here. None of the HTC joystick Smartphones have been anything other then 5way (4 directions and select) :)

• 4 weeks later...

(i posted about this also in the xRick thread)

isnt it weird.... back in the days we had joysticks that contained only 5 microswitches...

yet we still could move in all directions... i think it is something in the OS, that doesnt allow (or recognise) that 2 directions are pressed wich can be interpreted as diagonal.

Am i missing something here?

Edited by Newk

Guest pierre

isnt it weird.... back in the days we had joysticks that contained only 5 microswitches...

yet we still could move in all directions... i think it is something in the OS, that doesnt allow (or recognise) that 2 directions are pressed wich can be interpreted as diagonal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BTW, how' s the situation with the new devices, such as C550, and coming ones (M5000, M3000, C600, etc...) Anyone knows?

the difference between the old microswitch sticks and the sticks on the phones is that, as u say, the state of all the switches was read at the same time on the old ones

on the phone there are often software and/or hardware limitations placed on them by the manufacturers / resellers

when hardware problems create 4 way sticks, the 'switches' under the stick often aren't physically located to be pressed at the same time, never mind read by the OS at the same time

to top this, sometimes the phone company put drivers in the OS that stop the phone reading multiple buttons at the same time (see what happened with the C500 as an example)

they always have a 'good reason' for what they do, but personally I'd wish they'd just make a decent stick and leave it alone (the M1000 stick is nice)

surely some hacking could fix that......no?

this is some major for the c550... i just got mine... i'm not going to get another phone

in time. This is one of the stupidest things i've heard in interactive consumer technology.

:roll:

Guest Pondrew
surely some hacking could fix that......no?

this is some major for the c550... i just got mine... i'm not going to get another phone

in time. This is one of the stupidest things i've heard in interactive consumer technology.

:roll:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the previous HTC Smartphones are anything to go by then unfortunately no, hacking couldn't fix it as it is a hardware issue.

There is a new(ish) Smartphone out there with 8way joystick, the Sagem My-S7 (also branded by Mitac, and sold in Halfords in the UK as a Median Sat Nav solution)

:evil: :evil: :evil:

like i said... i wont get a new phone in time.

maybe a way to force this fix to happen?

anyway to complain about it? i got mine from orange..

:evil: :evil: :evil:

like i said... i wont get a new phone in time.

maybe a way to force this fix to happen?

anyway to complain about it? i got mine from orange..

edit: ehm... not by posting 2 times the same one.... sorry 'bout my triggerfinger

Edited by Newk

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah old joysticks had one wire output for each switch (+ common) new gear (almost anything electronic with more than 7 keys) use a matrix to cut down on wires and processor input pins required. This makes it real hard for the controller to know if more than one key is pressed at once as the keys are scanned in rows and colums.

So yes it is a hardware problem and not worth / even possible addressing for a phone that isn't designed or sold as a games machine!

• 1 month later...
Guest gilesjuk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's more to do with the length of the stick and the amount it has to travel, it's tricky to do diagonals and give the feedback to the user that they're pressing it directly in the middle of the two positions.