Wheres good to get an upgrade

Guest Cymruan

Guest Cymruan

I'm due to upgrade in around 10 days, I've had a look online found the phone I want (SPV M500) and I just want to know if 3rd party websites still offer upgrades for orange. there used to be loads of sites that would give you great deals if you upgraded through them.

Since I've been looking lately the only place that seems to have anything about upgrading is oranges own website, which possible has the worst deals possible (so much for treating your old customers like the new ones).

I'm foolishly on orange premiere atm, so I can upgrade now but I cant finish the contract for another 3 months, hence why I cant just become a new customer again (because i'm impatient, but will be coming off premiere when I upgrade)

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good upgrade deal?

Thanks

Guest fraser

You need to threaten to leave to get a good upgrade from Orange. If you are willing to pay £200 for an upgrade, they are quite willing to take it off you! Find a comparable deal with another provider, then phone up to cancel. They'll fight tooth and nail to keep you (usually). You need to be serious about leaving tho, the customer reps are aware that folk threaten to leave regularly, just to get a better deal.

Guest Cymruan

Well I tried yesterday. told them that it would be cheaper for me to take out a new contract with tmobile on a lower tarrif and get my m500 for free than it would be to reduce my tariff on orange and pay off the remaining 3 months at £15 each.

so pay £45 to buy out my contact and then start a £30/month one with tmobile and get the phone free. they didnt even bother trying to retain me. I'm very disapointed. even ended up reducing the tariff there and then to show I was serious and they didnt care :)

Guest mcwarre

That will probably be a normal OCS person. Recall them and ask about the phone again. When they quote loadsa dosh sya that you can get it much cheaper elsewhere. Then say you want the phone and ask to be given a PAC code. They will normally put you through to retentions who can help. Remember be nice and you will probably get your own way... :)

Guest fraser

McWarre is right, you probably spoke to a normal rep. You need someone in Retentions, and as I said you need to be prepared to get your PAC code and leave. They know that we know how they work, and they just called your bluff! :)

Say you want to switch provider and keep your number. You'll get transfered to Retentions, only they have the power to offer good deals. It's a last resort, as they know they won't see you for at least a year (if ever), so they'll try and keep you.

Thing is, even if you don't get a deal, and do end up with a PAC code, your account is only closed after the code is used by another provider. If you don't use it, nothing happens. Nothing to loose!

Guest fraser

Yeah, you'll have to wait before doing anything. When you sign up, it's usually for a minimum of a year. If you transfer to another operator or upgrade, that will be a new year of lock-in starting. If you don't have any attachment to Orange, find a deal and request your PAC code. Retentions will ask why you are leaving, tell them the deal. It's highly likely they'll match it. If not, switch using the PAC code (give it to the new operator) and you get to keep your number.

Guest mcwarre
Yeah, you'll have to wait before doing anything.

Not strictly true. OCS staff have the discretion to waive an upgrade fee if you are in the last month of your contract.

Guest Xenzo1990

Well, just rang up. Asked for PAC code, they didn't even try to retain me. Just sent me the PAC code via SMS. They said that they will not be able to give a better deal than 99.99 on the m500 even after my contract has expired.

Not good :)

Guest Cymruan

My problem is I'm stupidly on orange premier, i'm paying more than I should be, basicly so I can upgrade early, so even though I can upgrade on the 15th of this month, I'm still in contract untill november. So looks like cause they know I'm meant to be with them for another three months they dont think they need to give me a good deal to upgrade with them.

But back to the original post, do any other companies offer good upgrade deals genrally.

so far I have found carphonewearhouse and etccoms that have a number to call for upgrades, but as they are both closed for the night now I dont know if they can do any better deals than orange themselves seeing as I've still got 3 months contract left

Guest neuronisis

I've been having on going problems with orange for nearly a year. My M1000 kept resetting itself at least once a week(even with no additional software and the correct roms). They said it's not there problem as it's a software fault :shock: .

Anyway after countless calls over the year i mentioned i had a speaker problem. They agreed to swap mine with a refurbished phone(i have orange CARE) but i would have to pay £16 for administration :evil: !!! I just said forget it and cancelled my orange so called care for my phone and my wifes.

Phoned a couple of days ago to cancel my contract as it's nearly up. They made no effert to retain my custom. The guy just said 'So why do you want to cancel? Have you had some problems with your phone?' I replied 'yes and quite a few'. Orange guy..... 'ok, that will be done in 30 days'. What with all this #ollocks on tv with the old wise man saying look after your customers :shock: !!!! I've been with Orange for 3 years now!!!

Anyway i'm just going to wait for this new mini laptop Universal phone to be released. Hopefully it will be out with Vodaphone or T-Mobile before Orange. 8)

Guest fraser
What with all this #ollocks on tv with the old wise man saying look after your customers :shock: !!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Adverts don't mean nowt. Look at Kwik Fitt denouncing garages that rip of women and do unnessesary work!! lol.

Guest Cymruan

I think the whole "looking after existing customer" blurb is just the new craze every company wants to claim to do. You never know, maybe one company one day will acctually treat its current customers as well as the new ones.

Does anyone here remember orange equity? Used to get nearly double my minutes a month just for using my phone, now that was a loyalty reward program

Guest jim.mason

My contract is not up till November 10th, rang OCS anyway to see what they could offer. Nothing until I'm in my last month was the reply.

I then said that I wanted to cancel my contract and was told that the cheapest tariff was the Talk 60 and this would cost me around £75, so I said I would think about it.

Called up the next day and was told that to cancel I could downgrade to the Talk 30 plan (vodaphone equivalent) and that this would cost me £25, but would need to ring up on the 10th Augsut to actually cancel.

Rang up today and said that I wanted my PAC code and they didn't even bother to ask why I wanted to leave Orrange, even though I have been with them for the last 5 or 6 years.

Anyway, got my PAC code and then went to www.buymobilephones.net and ordered myself a Qtek S110 which should be here tomorrow

Will keep you updated.

Jim

Edited by jim.mason

Guest BigHairyDave

I have just done exactly the same thing.

Called OCS quoted 100+75+VAT to upgrade (contract runs out 23-Nov)

PAC number cost 52.49

Same deal O2 200 anytime 30/month 29.99 for phone.

WTF are Orange playing at? are they desperate to lose customers or what? This was the only option where I could keep my number, but in the process because the Qtek S110 has 128Mb ram end up with a better phone than the M500 anyway !

D

Guest Cymruan

Well i've found that etc coms and carphone wearhouse do upgrades for orange, but after calling them I've found out that if you upgrade through them you just get the same deals as through orange direct. So much for good old fashion competition to be the ones to supply your upgrade and get you to sign up for another 12 months :)