tomtom and spv m500

Guest jason76

At LAST!!! it works it WORKS!!! big thanks SeVeN. I had given up, then read your post and decided to try just once more. Seemed to be checking Com5 that was the problem. I noticed that it was unchecked at one point when I had already reset it, but had to do a soft reset shortly after. Maybe it will uncheck itself again but its working ok for now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you sleighty and kingnoddy

I have tried and tried and tried and I just got no GPS device all the time but. I have been doing this for as long as this thread has been alive (just short of 2 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

I gave up and went to tomtom 3 but I've decided to try 5 again and finally, I got it working.

Cheers again

Zuul

Guest thewordsman
No. The phone is brand new and I only have a bit of software for it. There is only Tomtom which uses the gps.

I've just been messing with it and I'm sure it is the phone setup. As mentioned earlier I can't get com4 to stay open. I've been told that I don't need it but I've just tried tomtom 3 and when trying the different setups I've noticed that when I try a bluetooth setup my gps goes mad with flashing lights but my phone can't find a connection.

Can anybody else tell me if Com4 isn't any use or is this the cause of the problem

Cheers guys

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmmm, I have exactly the same problem. Just bought the Holux GPSlim236. It'll pair with my imate Jam just fine. incoming com port 4 won't stay selected. And TomTom 5.0 keeps saying 'no gps device'. I'll try everything you guys have said here again. Well frustrating huh!?

Ben

Edited by thewordsman

Guest thewordsman
No. The phone is brand new and I only have a bit of software for it. There is only Tomtom which uses the gps.

I've just been messing with it and I'm sure it is the phone setup. As mentioned earlier I can't get com4 to stay open. I've been told that I don't need it but I've just tried tomtom 3 and when trying the different setups I've noticed that when I try a bluetooth setup my gps goes mad with flashing lights but my phone can't find a connection.

Can anybody else tell me if Com4 isn't any use or is this the cause of the problem

Cheers guys

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 3 weeks later...
Guest geezer2k

well im really thick i think i have paired the devices ! and still tomtom wont find the bt gps device i have tried everything said here maybe im just being thick

Guest geezer2k

i worked it out the reason why it wouldn t find the gps unit it was the beam i had it set to recieve all incoming beams under settings as soon as i unticked it fired into life hope this might help someone

Edited by geezer2k

• 4 weeks later...
Guest boxalld

Cheers guys

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes I have an M500 and have had it working under version 5.0, you only need COM 5 the out bound Port for it to work.. Simply pair it up then setup TOMTOM to use other BlueTooth then select Com 5, make sure the GPS Receiver is on before you configure it in TomTom bing it will then work...

I have however had other issues that some of you might have seen, I can be using TomTom driving along and it will simply shut down... or if a Phone call comes through it locks up TomTom have had to reinstall TomTom to fix it.... Have upgraded to 5.1 and still getting same issue.....

Any ideas on this ????

• 2 weeks later...
I have however had other issues that some of you might have seen, I can be using TomTom driving along and it will simply shut down... or if a Phone call comes through it locks up TomTom have had to reinstall TomTom to fix it.... Have upgraded to 5.1 and still getting same issue.....

Any ideas on this ????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also using an imate jam, TT5.1 and BT - exactally the same symptoms!! ... except that the phone is OK. Have you tried quitting all other open programmes before running TT. Sounds like lack of memory. Check in settings / system /memory.

A lot of people get BT GPS problems and there doesn't seem to be a common answer! maybe a wired device is the only sure way forward!! :roll:

Guest Peppermint Hippo
Did you read my post? What version of TT do you have? 5.0 will not work with third-party GPS, and if you have that version you will never get it to work despite what you try.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My 3rd party GPS (Holux GPSlim 236) works a treat with my VPA Compact running TT 5.0. Took about 45 seconds from pairing device to be connected.

Edited by Peppermint Hippo

Guest Peppermint Hippo

Any ideas on this ????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have exactly the same issue! It just shuts down after about 10 mins use. I'm tearing my hair out! :) Running 5.0

Guest daedos59
I have exactly the same issue! It just shuts down after about 10 mins use. I'm tearing my hair out! :)  Running 5.0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried with and without the POI enabled?

Also using an imate jam, TT5.1 and BT - exactally the same symptoms!! ... except that the phone is OK. Have you tried quitting all other open programmes before running TT. Sounds like lack of memory. Check in settings / system /memory.

A lot of people get BT GPS problems and there doesn't seem to be a common answer! maybe a wired device is the only sure way forward!! :roll:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have cured it! - touch wood etc...

Have done two things, so not sure which made the difference. Maybe both -

I read that some people had success by configuring TT to look for a wired GPS device, even though using a BT one. Something to do with port configuration apparently. Sure enough, after a couple of attempts it started receiving OK. I then reverted back to 'other BT GPS' and it behaved OK. Previously, I was unable to browse the map reliably without it crashing.

I have also switched off all POI. If nothing else it runs faster, so I'm leaving it that way. Have tested it on quite a few occasions now and all seems OK, so I'm not going to touch any more settings!!

Martyn

Guest Peppermint Hippo
I have cured it! - touch wood etc...

Have done two things, so not sure which made the difference. Maybe both -

I read that some people had success by configuring TT to look for a wired GPS device, even though using a BT one. Something to do with port configuration apparently. Sure enough, after a couple of attempts it started receiving OK. I then reverted back to 'other BT GPS' and it behaved OK. Previously, I was unable to browse the map reliably without it crashing.

I have also switched off all POI. If nothing else it runs faster, so I'm leaving it that way. Have tested it on quite a few occasions now and all seems OK, so I'm not going to touch any more settings!!

Martyn

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers for that. I'll give it a go. I thought mine was behaving as i used it for 4 hours on Sunday without a glitch. Unfortunately it crashed this morning shortly before my radiator blew up :) A bad day! :D

Guest Peppermint Hippo

Running 5.21 now and tested it - no crashes so far :)

Also, need a bit of help. How do i get the Tom Tom icon back on my homescreen. Its disappeared from there. Also, when i go into programs I have 2 Tom Tom icons (Tom Tom Navigator & Tom Tom Navigator (2)) How do i get rid of one.

Ta :D

• 7 months later...
Guest LBeno

i have test 8 gps units on the Orange SPV M500 with TOMTOM 5 & 5.10 and found no problem of them working.

The trick i have found on getting this working is

(1) delete and pairing you have to the gps unit

(2) go in to Setting, System

Bluetooth Settings...

(3) untick out bound COM Port : Com 5 , if not ticked to go (4)

close settings

(4) in to seeting and tick : out bound COM Port : Com 5

(5) you will then get a windows appear saying : Please start bonding with other. etc.etc , tap ok

(6) This will then take you to the Bluetooth Mode, tap Devices and search will take place and then bond with your GPS unit

(7) now close and windows you have open, so you should be back to the today screen

now launch TOMTOM and change the GPS settings to Other Bluetooth GPS

and select Com port 5

ok etc,

exit tomtom

make sure you bluetooth is turned off (as tomtom will turn it on)

start tomtom and about 15-20 seconds tomtom will turn on your bluetooth and connect to your GPS unit and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

should now work fine

Hope this help guys

SeVeN

[/quot

To All Readers:

I had the same problem where by my Holox BT-321 Bluetooth GPS device was paired with my SPV M500 but my Tom Tom V5:21 could not detect the receiver. I had tried a number of things on various formum but thankfully this one worked. Try it if you have this problem. Working superb now.

Thanks SeVen!!!!!!!

Cheers

Lee

• 2 months later...

Has anybody else had this problem... whatever settings i put into tomtom, eg Home address etc .. whenever i close tomtom i just resets the settings to the settings the person who owned the phone before me had.

i reset to factory settings in tomtom and even tried reseting my m500,

Any ideas? many thanks