Why is wifi so important in a smartphone

Guest beersoft

Guest mr_end

Just had a thought. Imagine at work you are contactable on extension 443. With VO Wifi as soon as you walked into the building your phone could be set up to connect to the encrypted network, contact the server and hey presto, reception dial 443 and your mobile rings. This means no fixed desk phones at work, and if you are not in range the system will forward the call to your GSM number.

Wi-Fi mobiles 'will be as common as Wi-Fi laptops'

Get ready for mobile VoIP

Guest beersoft

Yep, contracts are good, other fun things i enjoy are driving a car and paying tax so all the deadbeat students can drink allday .

but wifi is dead, wimax is the way forward (or so they say)

skypes all well and good, but you dont get anything for free.

lets get all exampley

your out 'in town' doing some shopping, and you think, "must call tracy and organise tonights standing outside mcdonalds swearing and intimidating normal people" and you have your wifi phone, so you go to your local wifi hotspot and pay £3 for 30 mins usage, you manage to get connected to the access point, connect to skype, but there packet filtering so its slow, call your chum on his skype phone, hes not there (his dsl has gone down) and it goes to voicemail so you skypeout to his mobile. £3 + skypeout charge,

lots cheaper than the 30p a min on the worst noncontract tarriff you can get.

3g data is alot more usfull than wifi, its cheaper and works everywhere (subject to network coverage)

quick and simple maths time

1 megabyte of out of bundle 3g data is £1

skype for 1 hour uses 1.2 meg

which is cheaper than hotspots

and mr_end, been there done that, my ddi works via my laptop over 3g/wifi (and i dialed over gprs for a laugh), so i can be in the park catching rays and still have my desk phone(and have all outgoing calls go via my office number ) or if im 'not logged in' it can hunt for my mobile and call me on that, or if im feeling really dagerous have it call my skypenumber/vonage number/sipgate number, its called www.swyx.com and yes it works over just about anything

(and pagemakers, you know i love you (in a manly way))

later

Owen

Guest Pagemakers

Own you should be a politician!

"3g data is alot more usfull than wifi, its cheaper and works everywhere"

Are you mad? 3g works hardly anywhere in the UK let alone the rest of the world. Even the hotel in the Dominican Republic that we stay at has wifi!

"skype for 1 hour uses 1.2 meg".

But in wifi terms that's nowt and in skype's cost terms that's 60 Euro Cents for a worldwide good quality phone call.

"which is cheaper than hotspots"

Err NO. Most hotels, say in the USA charge nothing to $10 per day for wifi (Orange charge £27 per MB for GRPS :shock: )

"(and pagemakers, you know i love you (in a manly way))"

Twiddles fingers and thinks of a funny reply.....Doh!

Edited by Pagemakers

Guest Samsonite

ok, i wanna say summat now...

WiFi is simply another method of connectivity. Cos everyone is banging on about it, the chipsets have dropped thru the floor in price so its gonna be as commonplace a feature as Bluetooth is now... which brings onto my main point..

Bluetooth and Microsoft is RUBBISH!! Why do we have so many threads, guides, how-to's etc on here if it was a bulletproof as Father Beersoft would have us all believe!

I am no numpty but since my activestink ova BT fell apart a MONTH ago, i have been unable to get it back. I am now limited to USB for all my S100 to PC needs. If i had WiFi, it would less of a problem (or at least i wouldn't care as much!)

i think a device that purports to be the connected gadget of the decade (my made up line - not attributed or stolen from anywhere!), ANY kind of media that backs up that ethos is destined, required and indeed essential on our toys!

so there :)

Guest Radeon12345

I would love to see WIFI in a smartphone ;) , bluetooth is great and I love it, but it's slow as hell, takes ages to copy a 1mb file to the phone using bluetooth :evil: , if it was WIFI it would take no time, this is the best thing about WIFI, it very quick, has a much bigger range than bluetooth and I bet much easy to sync to the PC using WIFI as bluetooth can be hell, when it works it's perfect, but if it has problems then it's hell to get bluetooth working again :shock:

Plus I would love to use MSN or surf the internet in my garden on my phone for free using my Wireless Router :(

WIFI rules, plus it's someting we can brag about to Nokia owners 8)

And yes I have a laptop with WIFI and bluetooth and it's great, but it's not exacty pocket size :)

Guest beersoft

im not saying wifi is a bad thing, i just dont see any 'killer app' for it on a smartphone

i know there is voip, but by crimbo data costs are going to be 'cheap as chips' (ive been told) and there will be lots of lovely 3g phones out that will have a built in sip/h323 client and not the "it only works on our network with our cliet" that skype is.

streaming media is a nice app, but i dont want to be streaming media to my handset when im at home, i have a telly for that, i want it when im waiting for public transport or out walking the dog (or stuck with the inlaws bored out of my skull trying not to kill them)

and bluetooth is only slightly slower than the usb, so wifi on the current platform isn't going to be any quicker. the m2000 struggles streaming 1mb/s video over wifi, whats something with less internal bandwith going to do?

later

Owen

Guest phil-t
im not saying wifi is a bad thing, i just dont see any 'killer app' for it on a smartphone

i know there is voip, but by crimbo data costs are going to be 'cheap as chips' (ive been told) and there will be lots of lovely 3g phones out that will have a built in sip/h323 client and not the "it only works on our network with our cliet" that skype is.

streaming media is a nice app, but i dont want to be streaming media to my handset when im at home, i have a telly for that, i want it when im waiting for public transport or out walking the dog (or stuck with the inlaws bored out of my skull trying not to kill them)

and bluetooth is only slightly slower than the usb, so wifi on the current platform isn't going to be any quicker. the m2000 struggles streaming 1mb/s video over wifi, whats something with less internal bandwith going to do?

later

Owen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see your point of view, but bear in mind that some pople only have a PC and a phone.. they don't have a media client connected to their TV's and HiFi's etc.. they don't have Laptops on suspend next to their beds either!!

Bluetooth, to me is simply for connecting my GPS and Headsets etc... but its range is so poor, it means you need loads of BTAP's around the house, or sat next to your PC... which of course limits yourself immediately..

VOIP is up and coming, there are PPC VOIP apps, so these should be easily ported to the MS Smartphone..

I didn't believe in WiFi until I bought a Dell X50V PDA... now, I use this as a mini laptop, for many, many things.. VOIP, Music/Video, Web Surfing, ebay, e-mule/bit torrent controlling, Checking the weather/cinema, yellow pages, MSN, etc, etc, etc... Although the screen is smaller, the C500 QVGA with WiFi would mean I could ditch the PDA and use the phone for most of it...

It's always easy to find reasons against anything.. to you the 'killer' app doesn't exist.. and I agree, its more using what apps you already have for free, no GPRS charges... and more importantly anywhere in the house you happen to be (including your garden)...

What I don't understand is the insistance that Bluetooth 'does' all this.. of course it technically can, but crucially, since the range is limited, most people will have a bluetooth dongle on the PC's, so have to be in the same room as the PC to get LAN Access, so why don't they just do it all on the PC?? or connect the Usb cable to the phone..?

Guest Confucious
most people will have a Bluetooth dongle on the PC's, so have to be in the same room as the PC to get LAN Access, so why don't they just do it all on the PC?? or connect the Usb cable to the phone..?

Surely a lot more people have BT than WiFi? I've had a BT dongle for years but didn't get WiFi until I got a laptop. Most desktops don't come with WiFi built in, did you have to buy a WiFi dongle for your PC to connect your PPC?

I thought that most people would only have WiFi access at home if they already had a laptop (or at least a 2nd PC). I have been proved wrong in my assumptions in the past of course so I could be wrong here.

Another point is that my BT connection drops two rooms away but my WiFi connection can make it out to the garden, but the BT on the phone is only the 10M variety (I forget if it's class 1 or 2) so surely just changing to the higher powered variety would give me similar range to what I am getting with my WiFi? Or am I talking complete B*ll*x?

Guest tonijj

Well, what do you do after you leave the house then? Use GPRS I assume, sure it works, but then again, it costs $$$, or in your case £££ :)

I see your point on having BT at home, thats the setup I use aswell atm, but for better connectivity options outside the house, Wifi would be IT.

Guest mr_end
which is cheaper than hotspots

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, Hotspots are crap. The idea is to be able to use it from work or home. Not expensive hotspots!! I think you need to realise that if all your calls are through your operator you are bound and controlled to them, even their 3g prices if you go down that route. If you are able to use wifi then the control is not so apparent. This opens up the market to more competition and will drive down call prices.

and mr_end, been there done that, my ddi works via my laptop over 3g/wifi (and i dialed over gprs for a laugh),

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The idea is to eliminate the need for a laptop, a phone with wifi is a lot easier to carry around than a laptop.

Guest jason76

is'nt wifi just the same as bluetooth but better, i've got a mda compact with wifi card cost only 20 pounds and its cool do free,cheaper skype calls all the time and free internet at work, home ,local pub, stream music and films in garden. yes some of this can be done on your laptop at home but its another toy, if you don't like toys why did most of you guys bin your nokia. :) ;)

Guest sSword
Bluetooth and Microsoft is RUBBISH!!  Why do we have so many threads, guides, how-to's etc on here if it was a bulletproof as Father Beersoft would have us all believe!

I second that!!

BT is soo unreliable and has a v short range, 5ft is the best I got out of my bluetooth dongle, the wifi signal in my abode is strong everywhere.

Guest Tunney

As already mentioned, copying data over bluetooth is painfully slow. 1GB memory cards are common-place now and they'll soon be replaced by memory cards and hard-drives that are even bigger.

Have you ever tried to copy a 100MB movie over to your phone via Bluetooth? It takes at least half an hour, which I find unacceptable.

Another use of wifi will be something called UMA. Basically it will allow you to connect to your normal mobile operator via an internet connection. So, if you're somewhere where there is a wifi connection but no network signal (undergound, rural areas, planes) then you'll still be able to make calls and texts as normal.

The only reason we want wifi on our smartphones (myself included) is so we can add it to the list of things nokia's can't do

Nokia released the 9500 with wifi about 9 months ago. They've also announced that a regular smartphone (the N91) with 802.11g wifi will be released by the end of the year.

Guest beersoft

ok, the bt on 2003/se is pants, its alot better in wm5

the location of your pc will affect the range of bt (lots of metaly things break the signal,dect phones upset it etc)

the lowpower wifi cards are all well and good but having wifi on kills the battery more than having bluetooth on + the screen on + making calls in a 0 bar area, the quick fix for that is have it turn of the wifi after x mins/seconds which i know your going to moan about.

and i am going to mention the internal bandwith issue again, its just not fast enough, on the c550/m500 you take a megapixel photo and it sits there waiting to transfer and compress the 2 meg(or whatever it is, cant be arsed to do the maths) raw image data, so its going to poo its pants having to deal with 11mbps both ways all the time

i still cant see a need for wifi, you have almost made me upgrade its rating from "pipedream" to "would be nice, if it worked". its a bit like bluetooth was 5 years ago, we knew it was going to be big, but there wasn't a decent application for it.

from a consumer point of view, the only reason you have given is "its cool" and "skype" from a business user point of view (noone has said it) is that it will happly talk to exchange/other mailserver happly and not need gprs, but thats fine if im at home or at the office but when im out seeing customers i need my emails 'on the road' so wifi is going to be usless, and i dont think there going to make the m25 a wifi hotspot.

later

Owen

Guest beersoft

tunny, yes i have, yes it sucked, and yes i did take the card out and stick it in the card reader and do it in 48 seconds

uma is very cool, and all the networks (thats all of them including bt) are going IP over the next 5 years,

(i know its changed recenlty but i'll say it anyway) most places in the sticks cant get broadband, and satalite internet sucks for voice calls

/me gets back to writing his webbased callback software for his phonesystem

later

Owen

Guest agent.m
You know why we want it and need it????

Because its somthing new to play with!!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah! thats about right. but If we get it i'll bet that the networks will try to make it weak like they did witn bluetooth cause they will loose out in mms etc

Guest bretto

I think for the average bloke (PC edit "person") wifi isnt going to give them anything more than they have except connection range. Personally BT is all I need at home cause I get great coverage. :)

But for the corporate user and corporation there is a considerable saving to be had.

For instance you have an office at one end of the country (or world) and an office at the other. You have an internal network connecting both offices with phone tie lines aswell. Mobile phone charges could be significant between offices but if using voip like a tie line through the mobile wifi when available could really be a signifiacnt saving. Same goes for email, etc

Some phone systems are smart enough to work out that an external call can be made cheaper if it goes out over voip to another office and then dials out externally at a local call cost.

Hotspots in Australia are rediculessly priced so forget that here until phone tarifs come way down. Even gprs is expensive at 2c/Kb + 22c connection charge.

Anyway thats where I see a use.

Edited by bretto

Guest LadFromWales85

Connect a Pocket PC, with a full battery, to a wireless network...a few hours later, the battery will be near enough dead, even if the Pocket PC has not been doing anything over WiFi.

Some people suggest using Skype over WiFi. Skype in itself, is very CPU intensive, lots of CPU use means lots of battery consumption, combined with the constant transfer of the real time encoded data by Skype over WiFi, your going to have an empty battery in less than an hour and a half. I've tried it with an I-Mate Jam, and this is what happens. Plus, all that CPU usage and battery consumption means the device gets very very warm.

The only use I can see for WiFi right now, is for copying data to the MiniSD, but that is only because I need to power off the phone and take the battery out to get to the card to put it in a reader. Once we have hotswappable cards, I'd sooner take the card out and put it in a reader than connect the phone to my wireless network and transfer the files over that. Wifi isn't like bluetooth, you can't just leave it on 24/7, well you can, but your going to need to charge it several times a day, and that can't be good for the battery in the long term.

I wanted WiFi in a pocket device, got it, and never used it, due to the major flaws that are massive battery consumption and heat.

Bluetooth is more than fast enough for Skype and MSN'ing, and with the 100m range of the Jam, worked all around my house, and even outside. We can only hope that the implementation of bluetooth in future smartphones is 100m, that would be great, as wifi is just too battery intensive to be useful on a pocket device day to day.

Maybe one day we'll have a wireless implementation in pocket devices that works over a longer range, with a higher throughput, with much lower battery consumption than wifi currently :) .... But until then, bluetooth more than fits the bill

Edited by LadFromWales85

Guest nickcornaglia

Just seeing this thread for the first time. I raised the exact same question over at SPT.

I see no reason in todays world for wifi on my phone.

In the future, maybe wifi could control devices in my home and in turn I could use my phone as my control device for everything. This is actually how I thought bluetooth would develop....but it hasn't.

Short of that....I don't get it either. I'd rather have built in GPS.

Edited by nickcornaglia