- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

MisterOrange

MisterOrange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, great program. I'm finding myself using it more and more since I've installed it a couple weeks ago.

Any chance on getting support for more audio formats? (i.e. mp3, wma, etc.)

Thanks again for making this program :)

Marc_Sch

Marc_Sch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:MDA compact
When I try to install the (very promising) tool, I get the error message "This is not a valid Windows CE setup file"...???

I'm using a MDA compact (~HTC Magician, Qtek S100), running WM2003SE.

Any hints how to proceed?

Thanks in advance
Marc

stevie_mac

stevie_mac

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Devices:nexus one, advent vega

Hi, great program. I'm finding myself using it more and more since I've installed it a couple weeks ago.

Any chance on getting support for more audio formats? (i.e. mp3, wma, etc.)

Thanks again for making this program :)

MisterOrange, adding support for other formats (MP3 for example) requires the addition of a library capable of reading & decoding MP3 audio. I have had a quick look around the internet & although there is source code available, it is either not immediately suitable (i.e. requires conversion / hacks) or is restrictive (licencing etc). So for the moment (untill I can find a suitable light weight component) i'm afraid this is a no!

Sorry.

PS, find a nice compact, free mp3 library / component that wourks with the .NET compactframework and I may well reconsider!

When I try to install the (very promising) tool, I get the error message "This is not a valid Windows CE setup file"...???

I'm using a MDA compact (~HTC Magician, Qtek S100), running WM2003SE.

Any hints how to proceed?

Thanks in advance
Marc

Marc, the cab was created specifically for smartphone. It is not that it doesn't run on the MDA (it does) but there is a fair bit of work required to make it 'right'.

If you must have it, then you need to extract the files from the cab (WinCE CAB Manager will do this) and copy them to a location on the MDA.

The hourglass background will not work without tweaking and there is minimal touch screen support (hence the reason for packaging in a smarphone cab)

I might get time to improve this matter in a couple of weeks time (3 weeks off work - woohoo) - so feel free to pester me again after Aug 14th if you are still interested.

Hasta Luego Amigos.

clearstar

clearstar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Orange C600
HI Stevie Mac,

Thanks for a great program!

1. I found one bug:
Editing alert File only (without changing alert enable or other options) fails (setting is forgotten). There is no "apply" button and rather an "open" button when editing alerts. The workaround is to twiddle some other setting and hit "apply".

Suggestions
2. What does Backlight "full, half, default" mean - it doesn't seem to do anything on my Orange C600 WM5 phone. Also, what would 'default' correspond to?

3. Allow Timer sets to be given names, included when building the report.

4. Text entry method defaults to T9 even though I reset to 'abc' every time. Other apps seem to know I want 'abc' (I use different languages without T9).

5a. Another journal mode that keeps history: report would include multiple times the journal watch was pressed, not just the most recent one as now. Useful to keep track of multiple time points, without having to create a journal for each.

5b. Somebody earlier suggested adding specialized modes e.g. 'count down, beep, start counting up'.
However, this would clutter the app.
If at all needed, a cleaner alternative would be to allow custom compositions as a sequence of actions.

6. Allow customizable time increment display. E.g. 1/100 sec, 1/10 sec, sec, min. I don't think 1/100 is a good default as it probably isn't accurate. E.g. when the timer stops it displays 0.06. Perhaps 1/10 would be better.

7. Does running the timer increase power consumption?
Can it be reduced by checking timer interrupts less often? E.g. 1/min.

8. A key lock mode: i am afraid of starting/stopping a timer by accident while wanting to see the app on top; how about a special key lock mode that requires pressing a special combination to unlock. The phone has key lock but then stopwatch goes to the background and doesn't display.

9. Comment on file format of Timer sets so they can be edited on a computer and copied.

10. Allow alerts to repeat 1,2,3 .. times or until dismissed. (this can be covedrd by 5) though.

11. (minor) The light background with bitmaps make it a bit hard to read the text. i assume one can customize by replacing the bitmap file; perhaps worthe commenting on.

12. (minor) Build report is somewhat sluggish. Perhaps a text only mode would be faster.

I hope I haven't made too many requests at once... Just ideas - it's a great app already.
Thanks again for great work.

--- clearstar

stevie_mac

stevie_mac

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

HI Stevie Mac,

Thanks for a great program!

1. I found one bug:
Editing alert File only (without changing alert enable or other options) fails (setting is forgotten). There is no "apply" button and rather an "open" button when editing alerts. The workaround is to twiddle some other setting and hit "apply".

I noticed this on a previous release - I thought I'd solved it! no matter, I've actually noticed the Backlight and stay on top settings are also forgotten! I'll sort these small issues for the next release.

Suggestions
2. What does Backlight "full, half, default" mean - it doesn't seem to do anything on my Orange C600 WM5 phone. Also, what would 'default' correspond to?

I have found this to be an issue on the SP5 also (smartphone like C600 but with WiFi) . The Full refers to keeping the backlight on fully. The half refers to the level your backlight dims to prior to going off completely, default is as it is set in power management (i.e. off after xx seconds). It seems this doesn't work as expected on WM2005 devices & I will have to do some digging.

3. Allow Timer sets to be given names, included when building the report.

I had thought about this but was unsure if it was worth the effort.

4. Text entry method defaults to T9 even though I reset to 'abc' every time. Other apps seem to know I want 'abc' (I use different languages without T9).

Yeah, my bad (or rather my good!) I set this as it its what 'I' wanted, I'll disable the 'force to T9' on the text boxes!

5a. Another journal mode that keeps history: report would include multiple times the journal watch was pressed, not just the most recent one as now. Useful to keep track of multiple time points, without having to create a journal for each.

I like your idea, I'll consider it!
'Multi-Journal'. Hmmm, I'll give it some thought.

5b. Somebody earlier suggested adding specialized modes e.g. 'count down, beep, start counting up'.
However, this would clutter the app.
If at all needed, a cleaner alternative would be to allow custom compositions as a sequence of actions.

Not quite sure what you are saying exactly!. I did not disregard the comments other made, I simply haven't had time to explore their requests so have came to no decisions yet but I do remember thinking it would clutter the app. Be more explicit if you think you have a good idea on this matter.

6. Allow customizable time increment display. E.g. 1/100 sec, 1/10 sec, sec, min. I don't think 1/100 is a good default as it probably isn't accurate. E.g. when the timer stops it displays 0.06. Perhaps 1/10 would be better.

I tried to have the timers as accurate as possible, but alas, it is operated by a human who can add around 0.2 sec (I recently read: For most people, the time from eye to reaction is around 0.3 sec, random error or uncertainty: 0.2 sec). So I guess I was a little over zealous when I developed this! As for general accuracy, the timings are as accurate as the clock on your phone!

7. Does running the timer increase power consumption?
Can it be reduced by checking timer interrupts less often? E.g. 1/min.

Yes, I believe it does increase power usage. I do actually minimise redrawing to the invalid part of the screen to reduce the drain. Additionally, when the program is in the background, updates are reduced & timings are recalculated when the app is brought to the fore. More: If i did reduce the timing to 1/10 sec, then less update logic would be executed, further reducing consumption! Lastly, using the backlight obviously reduces battery life & as you have already noticed, this can be set to 'default'.

8. A key lock mode: i am afraid of starting/stopping a timer by accident while wanting to see the app on top; how about a special key lock mode that requires pressing a special combination to unlock. The phone has key lock but then stopwatch goes to the background and doesn't display.

Pressing 'Home' or 'Back' has no effect on this application. Use these keys to navigate other apps. Though I do take your point. I suppose an app lock of sorts is not an unreasonable request.

9. Comment on file format of Timer sets so they can be edited on a computer and copied.

These are very simple 'ini' style files I'm sure you can work them out.
Here is 2 examples...
timer1.lastvalue=0
timer1.setvalue=300000
timer1.caption=5 Min Reminder
timer1.mode=countsup
timer1.soundenabled=WAV
timer1.soundfile=\Windows\Dogbark.wav
timer2.lastvalue=180000
timer2.setvalue=180000
timer2.caption=Small Egg
timer2.mode=countsdown
timer2.soundenabled=Vibrate
timer2.soundfile=\Windows\Default.wav
and yes, documentation would be nice, so would an assistant :rolleyes:
These ini files are saved in the same directory as the application as Set1.ini, Set2.ini ...

10. Allow alerts to repeat 1,2,3 .. times or until dismissed. (this can be covedrd by 5) though.

Effort vs benefit! I will consider it.

11. (minor) The light background with bitmaps make it a bit hard to read the text. i assume one can customize by replacing the bitmap file; perhaps worthe commenting on.

Yes, you are correct. The file 'config.ini' can be edited / or you can replace the bitmaps.
The config file and bitmaps are saved in the same directory as the application.

12. (minor) Build report is somewhat sluggish. Perhaps a text only mode would be faster.

If I get around to it, I'll look into why this is sluggish.

I hope I haven't made too many requests at once... Just ideas - it's a great app already.
Thanks again for great work.

--- clearstar

Your welcome.

I can't promise anything at the moment, I struggle for time these days!

Steve.

Edited by stevie_mac, 25 September 2006 - 09:28 AM.

clearstar

clearstar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
HI Steve,

Thanks for your answers!
Let me elaborate:

5b. If specialized counting modes are really desirable, one could let the user construct his own complex mode out of basic pieces.
E.g. basic pieces would be your current modes.
And user would make a list prescribing:
1. count down from 5 min
2. play alert
3. count up til 10 min
4. vibrate
5. play alert
6. count down from 5 min
7. play alert until dismissed
8. repeat (from 1.)
etc.

IMHO, better than preprogramming specialized modes, but not sure how many people want such a feature.
It would be essential to save it along with the timer set to avoid repeated entry.

Best, -- clearstar

clearstar

clearstar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
HI Stevie Mac,

Upon using trying the program for a week, I have some further suggestions.

13. The stopwatch really drains battery quickly unless the Options->Backlight is set to 'Default'.
Otherwise, the screen doesn't dim down, and battery goes flat in 2 days instead of 6 as usual (for an Orqange C600).
I think it is best to make this the default setting (it seems half-power is now).

14. The backlight setting in 13. isn't remembered after the phone is powered down,
and gets reset to 'half power'. It is easy to forget to set it each time, and I have ended up with a flat
battery twice already.

Moreover, seems other settings are forgotten upon powerdown; e.g. the 'alert file'.

15. Mysterious bug: On two occasions, i have ended up with 4 and 6 running copies of Stopwatch, each consuming 2.2Mb of RAM, causing the phone to become sluggish. I don't recall doing anything special. Running stopwatch, hitting the 'end call' button to get to home screen, and 'end call' again to lock the phone. Then selecting stopwatch again from the row of recent apps on the home screen. Usually it doesn't start a new copy. Cannot reproduce systematically. Each instance seemed to have the exact same timers, yet took its own RAM. Killing each instance in task manager freed up successive RAM.

Thanks for a still useful program; i would especially request a fix of 13 & 14.

Best regards,

clearstar

stevie_mac

stevie_mac

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
UPDATE 5-Oct-06 - V1.3
Change: Set default "Backlight" option to 'Default' - i.e. use power management settings
Fix: Setting of alert file now saves every time
Fix: Setting for 'always on top' is now remembered
Added: Ability to generate text report (faster)
Added: Default build in alert sound (for those without a suitable 'WAV' on your phone)
Added: Ability to save / load / rename / delete timer sets
Added: Ability to 'Lock' the application itself to prevent accidental pressing of button
Other: Under the hood improvements!

Not quite the list of improvements everyone had asked for, but it should cover a few.

Now all I need is a time machine (or tons of money) so i can finish this & my next smartphone app!

Regards, Steve.

Upon using trying the program for a week, I have some further suggestions

clearstar, the updates mentioned above takes care of 14 & some of your other suggestions to. As the the operation of the backlight not swtching to half power, I'm still stuck at the moment with that one.

If you can think of a set of rules (e.g. if I lock the app & send it to the back (press HOME) then let the light go off etc etc) I'll look at doing that.

All...
Let me know if there is any new concerns with this version.

Bye for now.

stevie_mac

stevie_mac

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Oh, my bad. The release I made last night had an older binary packaged inside (complete with a couple of problems!)

If you got a copy in the last 6 hours (from this post) then please download again.

Regards, Steve.

snmca

snmca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
hi,

Great App,

I have one question. The stopwatch does not work in standby mode. Is there anyway to keep it running in standby mode?

I'm using it with Treo 700wx with wm5.

Thanks,
-S

Edited by snmca, 18 February 2007 - 02:20 AM.

tbalaban

tbalaban

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Cingular 3125
This is a wonderful program. Many thanks for your efforts.

I do have request that I'd like you to consider. Can you program the mode to permit a "Display Elapsed Time" mode which would show you the time when you press the timer button but keep the watch running in the background and then allow the ongoing elapsed time to display?

I officiate bicycle races and one discipline is the Time Trial. Each rider's time starts at a specific time (whether the rider is there or not) and the judge records the finish time. It's not unusual to have 100+ racers so being able to stop and read the time while the clock continues is important. Beyond my wildest dreams would be having the ability to store each rider's time as he/she crossed the finish line, including the racer's bib number.

If you need more info on this, please let me know.

Thanks for even considering this request.

malapeiro

malapeiro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:null
hi there,

this seems to be a wonderfull application, but i copy the .cab file to my phone, install it and when i try to run it nothing appends!!! my phone is a motorola mpx220 with WM 2003 se.

any thougs? tkc in advance....

zs6ro

zs6ro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Samsung SGH-i780
I recently downloaded and installed the stopwatch software onto a Samsung SGH-i780 phone.

Everything appears to be working successfully. Except when the browser is involved in displaying logs or the 'About' screen.

By this I mean the browser will display correctly but when I want to exit the browser, it creates an additional tab/screen and I now have two copies of whatever was displayed. Try to exit again and I gain another window !! If I use the Menu 'exit' or the 'x' in the top right-hand corner, same result.

The browser used is Opera which comes with the phone.

Other than that, I'm happy.Posted Image

Edited by zs6ro, 23 October 2008 - 04:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users