Auto start apps at boot

Guest pkruger

Guest pkruger

Hi,

How do I specify which apps should be loaded when my SP3 boots up? I copied shortcuts of the apps to \Storage\Windows\Startup, but none of the apps installed on the SD card wants to load at boot time. :?:

Any ideas?

Regards,

Pieter

Guest stevekay

Out of interest, what is the name of your shortcut?

If you are trying to start an application that is installed on your storage card, then it will have to be executed AFTER CardStart.exe otherwise the storage card is not accessible.

I'm not sure what order the apps are executed in \Storage\Windows\StartUp, but as a first guess I would make sure that your shortcut is at least alphabetically after CardStart.

Guest pkruger

Thanx for the reply.

My shortcuts are: Alarm.lnk, KeylockConfig.lnk and mTimeSync.lnk

I renamed them all to start with a X, but that had no effect. Also, where is CardStart.exe located? It is not under \Storage\windows\StartUp\

Best regards,

Pieter

Guest stevekay

Would I be correct in assuming that these shortcuts work if the application is installed on Phone Memory (\Storage)?

On my C500 I have a shortcut called 'CardStart' which points to \windows\CardStart.exe - do you not have this?

I have heard from other developers that it is probably not best practice to launch applications that are either installed or required the storage card as it sometimes takes a little time to be available after the phone has booted. :?:

Otherwise a small application could be written that will wait for the storage card to become available, and then execute the target application. I could do this if there is enough interest :)

Steve

Guest pkruger
Would I be correct in assuming that these shortcuts work if the application is installed on Phone Memory (\Storage)?

Yup, that works.

On my C500 I have a shortcut called 'CardStart' which points to \windows\CardStart.exe - do you not have this?

Nope.

I have heard from other developers that it is probably not best practice to launch applications that are either installed or required the storage card as it sometimes takes a little time to be available after the phone has booted.  :?:

That makes sense.

Otherwise a small application could be written that will wait for the storage card to become available, and then execute the target application.  I could do this if there is enough interest  :)

Well, I guess I am the first one to say I am interested. ;) I bought the 512Mb SD card to install programs on, and to use it for storage.

Regards,

Pieter

Guest stevekay

I have knocked together something quickly and I will send it to you tomorrow (via PM).

Basically there will be a configuration file where you just list the paths to the executables that you want to execute (CRLF seperated).

Then all you have to do is include the new executable (or shortcut to it) in your \Storage\Windows\StartUp directory and it will execute all the applications in the config file.

Just doing some final test (so that it doesn't lock up your phone!!) and then I will release.

Steve

Guest pkruger
I have knocked together something quickly and I will send it to you tomorrow (via PM).

Just doing some final test (so that it doesn't lock up your phone!!) and then I will release.

Thanx ALOT! :) I will test it, and let you know.

Regards,

Pieter

Guest stevekay

Sorry for the delay, but this is proving trickier than I first expected as my routine that waits for the storage card to be available is bombing out!! :x

Don't worry though, I will crack it and get a version to you :o

Steve

Guest stevekay

Here is an beta version of the application for you to try.

Just copy the CAB file to your phone and run it.

It will create a file called StorageStart.cfg in your \Storage\My Documents folder which you will need to edit to point at the applications that you want to run on your storage card (and example is already in there).

Give it a go and see if it works.

Steve

PS: Obviously select install to 'Phone' rather than '\Storage Card' !!!

PPS: On first time run through (ie boot) you may get a screen about trusted source, etc - once you have done this once it should never happen again.

StorageStart.ARM.CAB

Guest pkruger
Here is an beta version of the application for you to try.

Thanx for the program. It works great except for one problem, it only starts the first program in the config file. :o The reaction time is also very fast, very impressive! :(

Regards,

Pieter

Guest stevekay

I have fixed the problem of only one program starting - I thought that it might have done that, but thought that it might be a good idea to see if my code works on your phone!!!!

Please see attached for new version.

BTW did you get a warning about untrusted code when you ran it (first boot)?

Steve

StorageStart.ARM.CAB

Guest pkruger
Please see attached for new version.

Thank you Steve, your program works like a charm! :o

BTW did you get a warning about untrusted code when you ran it (first boot)

No, I did not get any warning messages at all.

Where can I make a PayPal donation?

Best regards,

Pieter

Guest pkruger
No payment required, it gave me a good excuse to brush up on my Embedded C++ which was going a little rusty!!

Well Steve, check out the following website Psiloc AutoStart

From the website:

Psiloc AutoStart application is a simple but useful tool for every Nokia 7650/3650 user, which gives a similar functionality to the Windows Autostart folder. Every time you switch your phone on, selected applications will be started automatically for you.

I bought this program for my Nokia 6600, since there is no obvious way to get it to autostart apps at boot time.

You can now enhance your app with a nice GUI (on the phone, or as a desktop app) to create the config file. As your app is now, I am willing to donate US$5. With a nice GUI you can also charge US$10. And why not? :o

Best regards,

Pieter

Guest stevekay

I would have to be very careful as to not accidentaly infringe their copyright!!!

I will start work on a front end for it shortly. Would it be more useful as a SmartPhone app or a Windows app?

Steve

Guest pkruger
I would have to be very careful as to not accidentaly infringe their copyright!!!
I don't think there would be much trouble in this, seeing that SymbianWare has a similar program. :o

I will start work on a front end for it shortly.  Would it be more useful as a SmartPhone app or a Windows app?
If it is a SmartPhone app, the user is not forced to have access to a PC, which would probably be better. From a coding point of view, a Windows app might be simpler to code (don't know about the ActiveSync part) Then again, both would be perfect! :(

Regards,

Pieter

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stevekay

Sorry about the delay - I got a bit bogged down in real work.

Please find attached the full package including StorageStart.exe, StartUp Manager and example config file.

Probably best to uninstall the original StorageStart from your phone first before installing the cab file.

You will get a Shortcut installed on the Start Menu called "StartUp Manager". This is the app for altering the configuration file.

Have a play with it and let me know if it works ok for you - especially if you get any warnings when starting the application.

Cheers,

Steve

StartUpMgr.ARM.CAB

Hi Steve

Your program works like a charm! :o All you need to add to it at this stage, is an "About" menu item with your info in it, and where can I make a PayPal donation? :(

I received no security warnings at all.

Best regards,

Pieter

Great little app Steve :o

I've been messing around for months manually starting boot-time apps that were on the Storage Card!

A couple of questions/requests.

1. How about an icon for the shortcut/app?

2. Any idea why the listing isn't alphabetical when adding new apps with Startup Mgr?

3. I'm not sure if it was deliberate but you left "\Storage Card\Program Files\WriteFile\WriteFile.exe" in StorageStart.cfg.

4. Other than to confuse people like me, who like to snoop around, any reason for having StorageStart.cfg and StorageStart.log in MyDocuments and not in the apps install directory?

Thanks again for the great work on this one :(

Edited by fozzie

Guest stevekay

Thanks for the feedback fozzie, in answer to your questions:

1. I will endeavor to put an appropriate icon on it for the next release.

2. The listing isn't alphabetical as it shows the order in which the apps are started.

3. It was deliberate to show as an example.

4. I may well move these files for the next release.

I'm working on a splash screen and some other features for the next release.

Watch this space. :shock:

Steve

Thanks for the quick reply and answers - all understood. Looking forward to the next release.:o

My poor explanation - the non-alphabetical listing was referring to the 'FileSelect' window, after clicking 'add'.

Edited by fozzie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stevekay

I have updated the application so that it now has an icon.

I have also amended the file browser to sort the files and directories.

Haven't done a splash screen yet and the logs are still written to My Documents.

Enjoy :o

Steve

StartUpMgr.ARM.CAB