Whistling screen

Guest pau101

Mines getting reeeeeally annoying now. Im gonna have to send it back to SBE and try and get a repair / replacement. I havent done this so far because of what claremont4 said but its getting worse.

Nooo, I never noticed this but now it's really annoying ;) Doesn't seem to make any difference how bright the screen is. I wonder if people can hear this in conversation

Guest maxwell_hung

I don't get any noise from my m500 after nearly 5 months. My other mate his on his 3rd from the noise though.

Another one has just received his but has not reported anything yet.

Guest zippy172

Well.... I phoned Orange this evening to report my faulty M500 and its whistling screen. Orange now accept there is a known fault with the phone, as a result, there is no cure for it (yet), and will NOT replace the phone.

So, tuff, make do with it is basically what they are saying.

Wheel c :exclaim:

Well.... I phoned Orange this evening to report my faulty M500 and its whistling screen.  Orange now accept there is a known fault with the phone, as a result, there is no cure for it (yet), and will NOT replace the phone.

So, tuff, make do with it is basically what they are saying.

Wheel c  :exclaim:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm surprised - I'm supposed to be getting my third handset from Orange tonight, having changed both times due to screen noise.

Doesnt look like the courier is coming though - might be a fun phonecall to Orange tomorrow... ;)

Edited by jamesb

Guest moosery

electrical components vary by like n% (where n is a number I made up)

my phone (c500) makes no noise, I can hear these things, I can hear those really dumb pest repellers from 100 metres. I can hear up to 22+khz, I was bored one day and tested it.

I guess some phones have dodgy invertors (or other bits) and some dont. I heard its to do with loose stuff oscillating..? Not sure what would be running at 20khz tho - normally you get the 50hz buzz from mains stuff in that way. Cheap chinese components...

• 2 weeks later...

Well after the courier never arrived the first night, I am now on handset number 3 and it is f*cked after less than 2 weeks with the same problem. Orange have offered either to replace it again or give me a M1500 instead. As I dont want to walk around talking into something the size of a small family car, I'm going to try again with the M500 and hope the next phone lasts a bit longer.

For info, after some comments concerning the backlight, I instantly disabled the plugin allowing the backlight settings to be altered but this clearly didnt help matters. Anyone got any ideas how i keep screwing these handsets up or am i just unlucky?

Guest zippy172

Ok, so I phoned Orange again shortly before 5 today. Having explained the situation with this whistling screen, it would appear the tellytubby I spoke to last time recorded my fault as a humming sound. Clearly, the sound from the screen is NOT a humming sound. As such, I now have my 3rd M500 coming tomorrow between 9 and 1 at my workplace.

It'll cost me £15, no thanks to some "insurance costs" Orange have introduced to try and reduce people "losing" their phones etc etc... Personally, I think it's a fault with the phone, it's covered under a warranty by the manufacturer, insurance shouldn't come into it.

I did try asking for a different model, since my 1st and 2nd phones both exhibited the same problem... Not a chance - wait til July she said, upgrade then...

Hmmm...

Guest JamieDow

oooh sounds like i'm gonna have a hard time, had mine 2 days not and I get crackling when using the phone and a slight buzzing from the screen also :S

oooh sounds like i'm gonna have a hard time, had mine 2 days not and I get crackling when using the phone and a slight buzzing from the screen also :S

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The line quality on the M500 isnt great and its seems the same on all handsets.....

Slight buzzing of the screen is fine; it's when you switch your phone on and the person next to you shouts "Jesus!" that you have a problem. :)

Edited by jamesb

Guest zippy172

Personally I would say yes, so long as you're happy taking a 50:50 gamble the display might or might not whistle... That said, going fromt a proper keypad to a touch screen might be a bit of a drawback. Invariably, you have to use the stylus a lot more than you think...

Would I swap my M500 back for a C500? Monkeys will fly outta my butt first!

Is it not a good idea to upgrade from a c500 to an M500 then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldnt be put off, I still have my C500 and the only reason i'm not using it as my primary phone is that i prefer the M500 (despite the problems). You would just be trading a potential screen dust problem for a potential screen noise problem. :)

Guest pjam001

Cheers for that. Hoped that would be the case as I like the look of it.

I'm not too worried about losing the keypad. I find that if I have to learn to do something differently on my new phone then it actually feels like a new phone, not just a variation of what I already have.

Guest JamieDow

Thanks jamesb :) It's not nearly that bad, just slight. And the crackling is only for the first few seconds of the call oddly enough :S

pjam001 orange stated they would only let me have it on upgrade if I was a business customer even though I spend far more than most businesses (don't ask :D)

Orange retail shops don't mind though :)

I don't believe that the screen noise is a problem with the phone. It's a big screen and the refresh is probably what you are hearing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thing is, the level of noise is not the same on all phones, and a high noise level seems to just develop overnight. The phone made some noise when i got it (like you say, that is to be expected), but it certainly wasnt making a noise as loud as this!

It is a fault with the phone, and I very much doubt that Orange would be readily replacing handsets if it wasnt.

Guest zippy172
I don't believe that the screen noise is a problem with the phone. It's a big screen and the refresh is probably what you are hearing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Forgive me...isn't your logic just a little bit flawed? "it's a big screen and the refresh is probably what you are hearing" and "I don't believe the screen noise (my emphasis) is a problem with the phone" tantamount the same thing?

Trust me, the screen definately emits a high pitched squealing sound while the display is active (backlight makes no difference). Display off, sound disappears.

I'm on handset three and it certainly makes the same noise as the previous two, thankfully (for the moment) not to the same degree. Roll on July when I get swap the M500 for something else less obtsrusive to my listening pleasures while mid-conversation!

I'm on handset three and it certainly makes the same noise as the previous two, thankfully (for the moment) not to the same degree.  Roll on July when I get swap the M500 for something else less obtsrusive to my listening pleasures while mid-conversation!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm trying to learn to tune it out. Its pain having to replace the phone so often, and having to reinstall all the programs again. I'm just going to have to accept it so i can get some decent use out of the phone and not spend most of the time with the phone runnign the bare essentials until i get around to srting it.

I've got quite a few months left too, hopefully there will be something decent out by then but I'm not seeing anything that takes my fancy at the moment :?:

(off topic, but if you haven't seen it elsewhere the HTC Blue Angel has similar screen whistling problems. My M2000 became so loud you could hear it across the room! - and it was definitely the screen)

jezza

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I've got my third blue angel now and it also has the same problem (they all had this whistling screen). I think the noise is comming from the component that registers the touch of the touchscreen. In the first place because when I touch the screen de noise changes a bit. and the second is, that when u reboot the pphone u can see the forst image, but the noise is not really loud. just e second later it will get loud. It looks like this is because the touchscreen function is activated a bit later.

I think I'm not going to get my phone replaced again because I'm quite sure they all have the same problem and if your phone doesné have it.......just wait some time.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest djfuego
Hey I've got my third blue angel now and it also has the same problem (they all had this whistling screen). I think the noise is comming from the component that registers the touch of the touchscreen. In the first place because when I touch the screen de noise changes a bit. and the second is, that when u reboot the pphone u can see the forst image, but the noise is not really loud. just e second later it will get loud. It looks like this is because the touchscreen function is activated a bit later.

I think I'm not going to get my phone replaced again because I'm quite sure they all have the same problem and if your phone doesné have it.......just wait some time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have three solutions to your noisy phone.

1 Wear earplugs when using it (ahh... peace and quiet)

2 turn it off with the soft off button (this will stop it squeeling)

3 Get a different phone (preferrably one you have ear tested before buying/upgrading/swapping)

We all are all different, just like everyone else

I have to put the phone up to my ear to hear the noise and I only do that when talking so someone else on it.

Guest JamieDow

Well Orange replaced mine due to microphone failure on average 3 mins into a conversation (in some ways stopped my mrs using my phone ;) ) and now I don't get the noise at all and the sound quality is far better.