• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

bleugh

bleugh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Mine's started noticeably doing this over the past few months,

what you're hearing is the inverter circuit that drives the Electroluminescent sheet that is the backlight (i'd doubt it's LED driven, too much power)

you're hearing the actual electronic circuit - the inductor/transformer vibrating. and probably EM emissions from the circuit being transferred to the speaker also

try adjusting the brightness, this adjusts the frequency/voltage which the backlight is driven, and should alter the tone of the noise to something more acceptable (or even more annoying ;-)

chilledatthebottom

chilledatthebottom

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Photography, CNC Machining, Electronics, Engineering
  • Devices:Apple iPhone 3G, MDA Vario III
Since altering the timeouts on my display and backlight, I can confirm the screeching/whistling sound isn't related to the LED backlight. My phone continues to make this sound after the backlight times out.

I might give OCS another call today to complain this phone is barely usable without giving me a headache while using it (lost my BT headset, again!), see what they say.

Jason Aspinall
Freelance Photographer
http://www.chilledatthebottom.com

Shrike

Shrike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
I've been using mine for 4 months and never noticed this, and whilst I've damaged my hearing from working in a nightclub I've still got fairly good hearing.

I don't know, you kids these days. My original 3com palm pilot makes an audible screeching noise, I used to have to put it in a drawer at night!

jamesb

jamesb

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero
Bloody hell - Handset number 2 is doing it now (got a replacement for this very problem) but at least its not as bad as the first one. I wonder how long i might have not noticed it for if I hadnt been reading this thread? :?:

Anyway, got to decide if its worth the hassle of getting another replacement as I'm starting to think there are two types of people - those who have the screeching and those who havent noticed yet. ;)

teefaf

teefaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Gotta say, the new phone arrived this morning and there is still an ever so faint sound coming from the LCD.  Nowhere near as loud as the one that's just been sent back, but still, it's there...

Will keep an eye (well, ear!!) on it over the coming weeks to see if it develops into a louder, unbearable whistling...

10/10 for TNT delivering on a Sunday too, well impressed!

<{<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was offered delivery on New Year's Day! Also well impressed!

joelb69

joelb69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
My M500 does it. i just assumed that all touch screens did it.

rmg

rmg

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Mines getting reeeeeally annoying now. Im gonna have to send it back to SBE and try and get a repair / replacement. I havent done this so far because of what claremont4 said but its getting worse.

furby

furby

MoDaCo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Devices:iPhone
  • Twitter:@furby
Nooo, I never noticed this but now it's really annoying ;) Doesn't seem to make any difference how bright the screen is. I wonder if people can hear this in conversation

Posted Image

maxwell_hung

maxwell_hung

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Devices:Orange M600
I don't get any noise from my m500 after nearly 5 months. My other mate his on his 3rd from the noise though.
Another one has just received his but has not reported anything yet.

chilledatthebottom

chilledatthebottom

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Well.... I phoned Orange this evening to report my faulty M500 and its whistling screen. Orange now accept there is a known fault with the phone, as a result, there is no cure for it (yet), and will NOT replace the phone.

So, tuff, make do with it is basically what they are saying.

Wheel c :exclaim:

Jason Aspinall
Freelance Photographer

jamesb

jamesb

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Well.... I phoned Orange this evening to report my faulty M500 and its whistling screen.  Orange now accept there is a known fault with the phone, as a result, there is no cure for it (yet), and will NOT replace the phone.

So, tuff, make do with it is basically what they are saying.

Wheel c  :exclaim:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm surprised - I'm supposed to be getting my third handset from Orange tonight, having changed both times due to screen noise.

Doesnt look like the courier is coming though - might be a fun phonecall to Orange tomorrow... ;)

Edited by jamesb, 10 January 2006 - 08:16 PM.

moosery

moosery

Professional Moose..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Devices:SPVC500, MPX200
electrical components vary by like n% (where n is a number I made up)

my phone (c500) makes no noise, I can hear these things, I can hear those really dumb pest repellers from 100 metres. I can hear up to 22+khz, I was bored one day and tested it.

I guess some phones have dodgy invertors (or other bits) and some dont. I heard its to do with loose stuff oscillating..? Not sure what would be running at 20khz tho - normally you get the 50hz buzz from mains stuff in that way. Cheap chinese components...

jamesb

jamesb

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Well after the courier never arrived the first night, I am now on handset number 3 and it is f*cked after less than 2 weeks with the same problem. Orange have offered either to replace it again or give me a M1500 instead. As I dont want to walk around talking into something the size of a small family car, I'm going to try again with the M500 and hope the next phone lasts a bit longer.

For info, after some comments concerning the backlight, I instantly disabled the plugin allowing the backlight settings to be altered but this clearly didnt help matters. Anyone got any ideas how i keep screwing these handsets up or am i just unlucky?

chilledatthebottom

chilledatthebottom

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Ok, so I phoned Orange again shortly before 5 today. Having explained the situation with this whistling screen, it would appear the tellytubby I spoke to last time recorded my fault as a humming sound. Clearly, the sound from the screen is NOT a humming sound. As such, I now have my 3rd M500 coming tomorrow between 9 and 1 at my workplace.

It'll cost me £15, no thanks to some "insurance costs" Orange have introduced to try and reduce people "losing" their phones etc etc... Personally, I think it's a fault with the phone, it's covered under a warranty by the manufacturer, insurance shouldn't come into it.

I did try asking for a different model, since my 1st and 2nd phones both exhibited the same problem... Not a chance - wait til July she said, upgrade then...

Hmmm...

Jason Aspinall
Freelance Photographer

JamieDow

JamieDow

MCP | A+ Certified |

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy S3
oooh sounds like i'm gonna have a hard time, had mine 2 days not and I get crackling when using the phone and a slight buzzing from the screen also :S

Past handsets ( in no particular order):

SPV M3000 - MDA Vario II - iPhone - iPhone 3G - Motorola Atrix - Galaxy S, S2, now the S3, can't get enough of the Galaxy series.

jamesb

jamesb

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

oooh sounds like i'm gonna have a hard time, had mine 2 days not and I get crackling when using the phone and a slight buzzing from the screen also :S

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The line quality on the M500 isnt great and its seems the same on all handsets.....

Slight buzzing of the screen is fine; it's when you switch your phone on and the person next to you shouts "Jesus!" that you have a problem. :)

Edited by jamesb, 26 January 2006 - 09:46 PM.

pjam001

pjam001

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario III
Is it not a good idea to upgrade from a c500 to an M500 then?

chilledatthebottom

chilledatthebottom

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Personally I would say yes, so long as you're happy taking a 50:50 gamble the display might or might not whistle... That said, going fromt a proper keypad to a touch screen might be a bit of a drawback. Invariably, you have to use the stylus a lot more than you think...

Would I swap my M500 back for a C500? Monkeys will fly outta my butt first!

Jason Aspinall
Freelance Photographer

jamesb

jamesb

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Is it not a good idea to upgrade from a c500 to an M500 then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldnt be put off, I still have my C500 and the only reason i'm not using it as my primary phone is that i prefer the M500 (despite the problems). You would just be trading a potential screen dust problem for a potential screen noise problem. :)

pjam001

pjam001

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario III
Cheers for that. Hoped that would be the case as I like the look of it.

I'm not too worried about losing the keypad. I find that if I have to learn to do something differently on my new phone then it actually feels like a new phone, not just a variation of what I already have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users