Send and receive drops GPRS/3G

Guest Pagemakers

Guest Pagemakers

Everytime inbox does a "send and receive" it disconnects from the GPRS or 3G network.

As a test I set the mail options to download email every minute. Then I started to browse a few websites with Explorer. Every minute the connection would disconnect and then re-connect even it I was using Explorer at the time.

Send and receive disconnects the network connection both when you use it manually or automatically.

Is there a reg hack to stop this?

Hey Pagemakers. Sorry I missed your reply in the previous Help & Advice section thread on this (just now read it). Although we wouldn't usually encourage cross-posting it seems this 'feature' may be unique to the Jasjar and or Windows Mobile 5 so best to continue here.

Do any other Universal users have any advice or insights they can offer?

Guest Pagemakers

Are you sure it doesn't do it?

Doesn't your connected icon turn to disconnected and next time you do a send and receive does it not negotiate the connection again?

Guest inspectorgadjet

Nope. Definitely stays connected. I've tested a few times now. I don't like to leave the connection active when I'm done though because it eats battery quite quickly when you've got a 3G connection active even if you're not doing anything.

Guest Pagemakers

Hmm I'm confused.

Are you using a JasJar?

Are we talking about the same thing? I don't mean it looses the G or U symbol. It just disconnects from the connection and if I do another send and receive it says "connecting to Vodafone" again and then disconnects again after polling the mail server.

I can't see why mine should operate differently to yours.

Anyone else with a JasJar. What does yours do?

agreed........ drops the connection after send and receive :o

however, i have just changed over to Active Sync via Exhange server and interestingly, this keeps the connection (3g or GPRS, whichever is available and it will dynamically switch without disconnetion) open all the time - signified by the 2 arrows and not the 'G' or 'U' symbols

it seems like the age old Imate problem of disconnection - i can remember having to upgrade my Jam to a QTEK rom in order to get GPRS to stay always on for Smartner Duality

cheers!

Mark

Guest inspectorgadjet

I've definitely got a JasJar. And no it's not losing the connection. It's definitely the little 'U' or 'G' with the arrows, not the big ones.

And now that you mention it, I'm using Exchange server for email as well, not a regular email account via POP or IMAP. So that may be it. I will test with a regular email account shortly.