Where can I buy a C550 for less than arm+leg?

Guest XePeR

I've been scouring eBay.co.uk looking for some deals on a C550 and I see a lot of the same, about $240 plus a buttload of shipping to the US. [which, if you use FedEx or UPS ends up being about $60-80 :shock:

Is this about as good as it's going to be for a while or is there somewhere else that I can purchase a C550 for less than an arm and a leg?

Also, when is the C600 due for release and is it likely to be about the same price?

Guest fluffcat1
I've been scouring eBay.co.uk looking for some deals on a C550 and I see a lot of the same, about $240 plus a buttload of shipping to the US. [which, if you use FedEx or UPS ends up being about $60-80  :shock:

Is this about as good as it's going to be for a while or is there somewhere else that I can purchase a C550 for less than an arm and a leg?

Also, when is the C600 due for release and is it likely to be about the same price?

As the charger is going to need an adaptor anyway to work in the US why not sacrifice that and other bits in the box, and just get a handset sent over seperatley? Weighs approx 130g, so even with good packaging say about 300g, £4.75 airmail plus £4 for recorded international = $15 shipping insured upto £500.

Handset PAYG £150 = $270 US

but make sure you get it unlocked before it goes for free else it's be £20 from imei-check. You need the sim in to boot the phone, to remove the security so you can use zone-mr's tool to unlock it.

Richard

Guest PPCPassion
I've been scouring eBay.co.uk looking for some deals on a C550 and I see a lot of the same, about $240 plus a buttload of shipping to the US. [which, if you use FedEx or UPS ends up being about $60-80  :shock:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with whatt Fluffcat1 said. I am in USA too and had to pay much more than $240 about a month ago to get unlocked C550 from UK. I ended up paying like $340 with shipping and unlocking charges. If I were you, I would buy C600 equivalent of iMate which I think is called SP5M. iMate will start selling these phones in USA most likely starting in Oct.

Good Luck.

I agree with whatt Fluffcat1 said. I am in USA too and had to pay much more than $240 about a month ago to get unlocked C550 from UK. I ended up paying like $340 with shipping and unlocking charges. If I were you, I would buy C600 equivalent of iMate which I think is called  SP5M. iMate will start selling these phones in USA most likely starting in Oct.

Good Luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any indications on what the price will be when it does come out? Phones here are ludicrously overpriced :o

Guest PPCPassion
jesus christ! that's ridiculous. well, if i'm still looking by the time the C600 comes out i think I'll just eBay the damned thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, these are ridiculous prices. Only thing I am hoping is that either T-Mobile or Cingulair may offer one (just like SMT 5600) cheaper with some contract.

Guest fluffcat1
Phones here are ludicrously overpriced :o

Our connected phones are cheaper as our network providors subsidise them, but they get it back in the form of larger bills for monthly usage. Offline phones I find to be cheaper in the US eg Nokia's 8800.

Richard

Guest fluffcat1
C600 will be expensive and prolly free with a new contract after 6 months.... price would be the same as the C500 when it came out (£120 UK)

C500 wasn't £120 when it came out - I got one in the first week of release for nothing on a new connection for yp120. Offline was about £300 from orange as I had to enquire for an insurance replacement with a third party insurance co. More recently PAYG was £150 for a long time when actually available, and when C550 was launched was dropped to £120.

But orange are like most phone companies - the listed price is irrelevant - depending on how much you spend and how hard you stamp your feet *any* phone is free on a contract....I've even had them provide a phone they didn't usually supply ( the receipt in the box was from expansys) as I threatened to take away just under 100 business connections :twisted:

Richard

Guest LSmith4285
C500 wasn't £120 when it came out - I got one in the first week of release for nothing on a new connection for yp120. Offline was about £300 from orange as I had to enquire for an insurance replacement with a third party insurance co. More recently PAYG was £150 for a long time when actually available, and when C550 was launched was dropped to £120.

But orange are like most phone companies - the listed price is irrelevant - depending on how much you spend and how hard you stamp your feet *any* phone is free on a contract....I've even had them provide a phone they didn't usually supply ( the receipt in the box was from expansys) as I threatened to take away just under 100 business connections  :twisted:

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Offline price wasn't £300 for the C500, £300 is the standard price for a replacement for a smartphone if the customer hasn't got care.

Some people can stand their feet all they want but if they only have 1 contract and spend £15 a month they won't get much free. Your obviously spending a lot with over 100 so Orange are willing to bend to accomodate you. The business team have a lot more leway to keep business customers.

The system is very tight for normal CSRs so that it cannot be abused to give their mates great deals.

Guest fluffcat1
The Offline price wasn't £300 for the C500, £300 is the standard price for a replacement for a smartphone if the customer hasn't got care.

I don't *think* it's a flat rate as at first they quoted it as an e200 at about £210 and I also enquired about a p900 which was £450. If only they included PPC's in their £300 flat rate eh?...we'd all loose our phones and get an m5000...

Richard

Guest fluffcat1
well funny how i paid £120....

Quoting what you paid as being the TSP is a bit mean - other people may not be able to cut such a good deal :o

Richard