Repair / refurb quality from HTC

Guest fluffcat1

Guest fluffcat1

I sent away a c500 for a keypad fault and paid for a fascia to be fitted whilst it was there. After 10 days or so it's been returned, perhaps I'm being a little picky with it, but I'm not entirely happy with the result:

There are some minor claw marks along the silver chassis where they prised it apart.

The fascia doesn't 'sit right' on the left hand side of the keypad, and looking along the phone from the USB port there is perhaps a 1/2 mm gap between fascia and chassis that is not evident on the right hand side.

Perhaps related to the above, but the green call button doesn't seem to 'click' properly - the keypad board was replaced - and the button doesn't seem correctly positioned.

The middle row of buttons - especially the '0' button, seems slightly recessed compared to the others, as if the keypad wasn't positioned correctly during re-assembly.

Yes, I know how to rectify these faults and can do so without voiding the warranty, and yes, I do sell the parts so could be biased against HTC and looking for problems, but this unit passed their quality control and I don't see why I should do their work for them but if I return it are they going to think I'm taking the mick?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Richard

Guest Pondrew

I can only say that my experience of HTC repair/refurb when I sent my SPV E200 for joystick repair (under warranty) and optional refurb was extremely good.

Tim Morvan (the contact I dealt with, as many others here have) was extremely helpful and the device came back as good as new (possibly better as they seemed to have slightly redesigned the answer/hang up keys + labelling in the meantime!).

And I've just remembered that prior to that I sent my original SPV for repair (for the sticking in headset mode problem). It came back completely fixed and exactly as it was when sent except that they'd updated it to the 1.5 rom (which wasn't even available except on SPV E100s!). This was obviously before the 1.6 was rolled out.

Having said that, having bought some items off Fluffcat1 recently I was very pleased with the service from him too.

So I guess I'd have to recommend both!

Guest Griff_FFOC

When I got my C500 back from repair for dust, when I pressed down on the rocker, it was grating slightly, as if the front cover wasn't on exactly right, but that seems to have rectified itself now.

Guest The B.A.

Hi,

Have to say mine wnet in for "dust", it came back with a new rocker switch (old one was slightly worn) and a new screen (slight marks on old one). Excellent service all in all. One bad point though - only had the phone back for 6 weeks and dust is appearing again under the screen....

Might go for the A1000 on 3 next....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Griff_FFOC

Did you return it in the end? Or sort it yourself? As I said in another thread, mine is away for a dodgy number 9 key so I hope it comes back ok, without a bill as it's under warranty.

According to their site, they've had it over 24hrs now and not touched it yet. Quite funny when you think about it. They had it over two days last time, then took only 4 mins to fix it, and another 2 days to get it back to me. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest craig4wd

I just had my O2 Xphone II (which is a refurb) in for repairs. It either boots into the IPL screen or if it starts up normally none of the keys work and I can't turn it off.

I've had the phone back for 1 day and it's doing the same thing again. Also the Home key is now rubbing on the green key so I guess I'm no that impressed.

Guest Griff_FFOC

I get mine back for a second time on Monday after having a "system board" replaced when my number 9 key didn't work properly. I'll let you know the quality of this repair.

Guest Griff_FFOC

Got it back today, and although there are no marks on it, and they've fixed the number 9 key problem by putting in a new part, now some of the other keys don't seem to press properly.

The home key for one, it works, but doesn't have a positive press to it anymore, and rocker doesn't feel as tight as it did.

They claim on their site that it's checked before it's sent back to me, but i'm not sure what it entails. If I'd have fixed it and left the home key as it is then I wouldn't have sent it back. I'd have looked at sorting that as it's worse than before it went.

Guest fluffcat1
Got it back today, and although there are no marks on it, and they've fixed the number 9 key problem by putting in a new part, now some of the other keys don't seem to press properly.

The home key for one, it works, but doesn't have a positive press to it anymore, and rocker doesn't feel as tight as it did.

The keypad is slightly mis-aligned over the keys methinks, similar to my complaint when I got one back from them. If you can stand the wait, send it back - they took extra long the 2nd time to fix the faults they'd created - perhaps to get it spot on or maybe teach me a lesson? ;) , or you can try pressing down and 'rocking' the rubber keys from side to side to get the pad located correctly.

Richard

Guest Griff_FFOC
The keypad is slightly mis-aligned over the keys methinks, similar to my complaint when I got one back from them. If you can stand the wait, send it back - they took extra long the 2nd time to fix the faults they'd created - perhaps to get it spot on or maybe teach me a lesson?  ;)  , or you can try pressing down and 'rocking' the rubber keys from side to side to get the pad located correctly.

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure if I can put up with sending it back a third time. It took two weeks for this one to be sorted. And with only taking 25 seconds to actually fix (alledgedly) I do sometimes wonder what they do with it for the rest of the 14 days. 3 of those days were after they'd fixed it, and before it was sent out.

I'll wait a month or so and then just open it and try and sort it myself, or maybe just upgrade it.