Smsdiary For Windows Mobile 5 Released (free)

Guest nAmCE

SmsDiary is a simple utility that automatically copies incoming SMS messages into the calendar of a Pocket PC Phone Edition running Windows Mobile 5. It requires the .NET Compact Framework 2.0 (beta) as it uses the new SMS and Pocket Outlook interfaces.

I wrote SmsDiary for my own needs in an hour or so, so it is very basic and offers no configurability whatsoever. Luckily, the defaults are quite clean. Basically, a new SMS is stored as an appointment with the start time equalling the time the SMS was received. The subject is set to the sender of the SMS, the keyword SMS is used for the categories field and the notes of the appointment contains the actual text of the SMS.

During testing I have found only one bug related to Arabic characters (but probably also Chinese, Japanese etc). Multibyte characters are not handled correctly, so the whole message just shows up as a number of question marks. Sorry for that, if I figure out a fix I will implement it, but it's not very high on my list of priorities.

Price: Free.

Support: What?

Download: http://kny.iki.fi/smsdiary/

Kim Nyberg

Guest chucky.egg

Ooooh, that's just the sort of thing I wanted, but I'm on WM2003

Not able to try it at the moment, but if I have .NET CF is there any chance of it working?

Ooooh, that's just the sort of thing I wanted, but I'm on WM2003

Not able to try it at the moment, but if I have .NET CF is there any chance of it working?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, sorry, even if you install .NET CF 2.0, it still relies on functionality in the Windows Mobile 5 platform. But, now that the idea is out, some crafty C++/C# interop coder probably implements this functionality using .NET CF 1.0 ... not me though :o

Kim

I tried it on Audiovox SMT5600 running wm5 but it does not work. Would have been nice. Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried it on my HTC Tornado (QTEK 8310) and it does not work... :o

Can't even install the .NET-thing... :cry:

Guest Dumdidum

Hi

That's really a great Idea!

Both last writers have used it on a Smartphone, not PPCPE as stated in the info. Think that is generating the problems...

@kl1wdr (in german :-)): Ich hatte bei der Installation des .NET CFs 2.0 (beta 2) beim MDA Pro auch einige Probleme und habs dann von Hand installieren müssen...

@all others: If you would want this for WM 2003 (Smartphone/PPC) I could try to make a version for that which doesnt need the .NET CF 2.0 yet.

I know how to do it for WM 5.0 (using VS 2005/.NET CF 2.0) and I am in good hope that I could do it for WM 2003 too...

Sven

Guest Dumdidum

Good news: After only 74 lines of code I have about the same as nAmCE made for WM 5.0 but for a Smartphone 2003 Second Edition (SPV C550)

Should work on PPCPE 2003 too (will test it tomorrow, I am tired)

Thanks nAmCE for the brilliant Idea (I love this as I am synching 2 phones with Exchange-Server and so I have all SMS on both phones!)

Sven

Edited by Dumdidum

Guest Dumdidum

Ok the same version for Smartphone 2003 is also working on a PocketPC PE 2003 and even on my MDA Pro with WM 5.0!

I will try it on a Smartphone with WM 5.0 very soon...

Sven

Good news: After only 74 lines of code I have about the same as nAmCE made for WM 5.0 but for a Smartphone 2003 Second Edition (SPV C550)

Thanks nAmCE for the brilliant Idea (I love this as I am synching 2 phones with Exchange-Server and so I have all SMS on both phones!)

Sven

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dumdidum, when do you think you will release your C550 version of the smsnotes software? That's what I've been waiting for...

Thanks for all the hard work.

Guest Dumdidum

Dont know yet, it's really only some few lines of code without any settings possibility...

It's also instable at the moment ...

I will let you know when it's ready :-)

Sven

Guest chucky.egg

This sounds great!

I'm using an M500 (PPCPE WM2003SE) if you want a tester.

We don't need too many bells and whistles.

@Dumdidum...

Did you complete your PPCPE version of SMS Scheduler? These two things would make a great combination!

Edited by chucky.egg

Sven

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. Did you write it in C++ or C# with the proper interop calls? I'd like to try it out as well, as it seems like running SmsDiary on my jasjar breaks the L2TP vpn (completely, other things like MSN Messenger seems to break L2TP as well). It's a very weird problem indeed, and I haven't found a solution to it yet.

Kim

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.