Wifi Trouble With Mda Pro

Guest pfsteel

Guest pfsteel

Hi all,

Hoping you could help me although I know that these little devices in the UK are very new (AND GREAT!!).

Well I'm having trouble connecting to some wifi networks.

At home I have a Linksys Router that I have a wifi laptop and a desktop connected to without any problems. So I activate the wifi adapter on the MDA PRO and it starts to cycle round trying to connect to the networks it already has set up...As far as my home network...nada.. It can't even see the network which has SSID broadcast on and works fine with my other pc's.

So today I went into a Starbucks coffee shop with tmobile hotspot and thought, "I'll try it here"...nada...I even created a network manually with the add_new..option but still it would connect...

Well tonight I went round to my folks and they have a Belkin wifi router. The MDA Pro picked it up almost instantly and logged in without a hitch..It is set up the same as my network (I set theirs up)..

So what gives?? Could it be that these devices can't recognise 802.11b?? My folks have an 802.11g...

Help PLEASE!! I'm off to Spain next week and neet to acces the hotels wifi network so would love to get this working.

Thanks for listening. :roll:

Paul

Guest skearon
Has no body got any wifi issues or answers for me??  :shock:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have found it connects via WEP to my Linksys router but not with WPA

Also it has trouble picking up a signal in various places in my house, where my Fujitsu Siemens Loox 720 and Orange M2000 had no problems

Edited by skearon

Guest nrj1999

Not much to suggest but I have an O2 XDA Exec and have connected successfully to my Belkin wireless router at home (WPA) and to the Cisco wireless router at work (no encryption) but, try as I might, I cannot connect to my parents Linksys router using 128-bit WEP.

I even tried turning off the encryption and it still wouldn't connect to the Linksys router. If encryption is on, it just keeps rejecting the key and if there is no encryption, it just sits trying to connect indefinitely. I tried manually setting the IP address and stuff but then it connects to the network without any internet access.

I'll be watching this post to see whether anyone has any suggestions.

Just to add another clue to the emerging pattern, I have a HTC Wizard and that runs WM5, been having a huge amount of trouble getting my WiFi on the wizard to talk to my.... wait for it.... Linksys router. I can get it to connect, well it says it does but it never seems to connect to the internet or anything else for that matter.

Guest pfsteel

OK, this is looking like a Linksys Router problem.. But what could cause this.. I'm not sure I want to buy a different router but then maybe it's the settings on the router.

Is there any Network expert out there that could offer some insight. I've tried a number of different settings from completely open, to hiding the SSID, from Shared key etc.etc...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

P

Guest dazza12

I've had similar problems with my M2000 and laptop, and it took some time to work this out.

I have a Belkin router, my parents had a Netgear (now a Belkin).

I used to get no problem at all when at home, but varying degrees of success at my parents. I did find however that when I set my device to manual addressing, I managed to connect most of the time, but still had occasional times when it completely refused to connect.

It's worth setting a manual address, but make sure you get the subnet mask and gateway correct as well, or it will connect but not browse. Also, make sure you get your DNS settings correct - if you are stuck, do an IPCONFIG /ALL on your PC to get these details, making sure you pick a different IP address. However, the reason why you aren't getting an automatic address might be due to interference.

Eventually, I found out what was causing the problem. Some cordless phones operate on a similar frequency, and at times this can cause an issue with the wireless signal. However, I also found that my parents had installed a wireless security camera, that operated on 2.4Ghz. They had this on a timeswitch, this explained why some times I was having problems and other times it was fine. The combination of the two devices was corrupting the signal enough to cause errors. Replacing their cordless phone with a newer model and making sure they turned off the video camera when they wished to use wireless solved the problem.

Guest pfsteel

Thanks for that ;) , I'll try the manual IP settings. Currently I have a desktop hard wired into the router and a laptop one floor away on wifi. The laptop connects ok although I do have to get WinXP to Repair the connection sometimes (God know why cos that always fixes any connection issues).

I'm in Spain at the moment (using my MDA PRO) every day and it's fantastic so I'll give it a go when I get home (not until 3rd November now).

Thanks, I'll post back my results..

P

Thanks for that dazza12, it's given me some ideas of what to investigate, I have mine on manual settings already, but I'm going to double check all the finer points.

I'll drop my results on this thread if I have any.

maybe you should try setting your Linksys router to B only and see if it catches the signal then. Though mixed mode should work just fine, you could maybe try it... And indeed changing channel might fix some.

Guest airborne
maybe you should try setting your Linksys router to B only and see if it catches the signal then. Though mixed mode should work just fine, you could maybe try it... And indeed changing channel might fix some.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, and it's also worth checking that the router in question is not set to "G" connections only - I finally remembered this one when fighting to get an old iBook connected! :?:

Well I got the WiFi working in all respects now. It connects and surfs, how did I do it... no idea to tell you the truth. I haven't changed any settings on my router and the only setting I changed on my Wizard was putting the NTL DNS's in again, I took them out to see if it would make any difference one time, once in the whole thing just started working.

Given a good test, with Nero's ShowtimeMobile (which does work on WM5 fine, by the way), it connected first time to the MediaHome server upstairs and quite happily streamed video and audio content to my device. The WiFi connection was v.stable, didn't glitch once and is still working ok.

Again have no idea why it just started working, it's using the same settings I have tried before, most odd, prehaps my device just needed breaking in first ;)

Guest pfsteel
Well I got the WiFi working in all respects now.  It connects and surfs, how did I do it... no idea to tell you the truth.  I haven't changed any settings on my router and the only setting I changed on my Wizard was putting the NTL DNS's in again, I took them out to see if it would make any difference one time, once in the whole thing just started working.

Given a good test, with Nero's ShowtimeMobile (which does work on WM5 fine, by the way), it connected first time to the MediaHome server upstairs and quite happily streamed video and audio content to my device.  The WiFi connection was v.stable, didn't glitch once and is still working ok.

Again have no idea why it just started working, it's using the same settings I have tried before, most odd, prehaps my device just needed breaking in first  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You bugger LOL... :shock:

I'm stuck in Spain until next week now so can't even try all these things until a week tomorrow arrrgghh.. I really don't want to be a pain but could you list your settings and how you set it up PLEASE?? Did you touch any of the LEAP settings? What are they for??

Thanks

P

Guest Confucious

Posting from my Exec ;)

Couldn't get it working with my Draytek Vigor until I read this thread. Now working fine after following advice here.

Many thannks to all. Manually entering the settings obtained by ipconfig /all has done the trick.

Guest WEBSERVICESUK

I also have issues with wifi. It connected fine to a hotspot (Swisscom) but not my home setup (d-link) .

It sees the wireless link and:

If no security says it is available but won't connect

If WEP security connects, but doesn't alow me to browse.

Interestingly if I connect my laptop to the wireless connection, then connect the MDA PRO via USB I can browse the web without any issues.

There is clearly some sort of issue here.

Anyone else?