Official Word On C600 Wifi

Guest sporkguy

Guest sporkguy

Hi Guys,

I was at the Orange Academy today, where all the major manufacturers were showing off their latest wares.

The 'Microsoft' section was particularly great as we got hands on with an M5000 and a prototype C600 :(

The M5000 as you would expect was brilliant, but whats more interesting is I asked the nice chap from Microsoft if the C600 final would have WiFi or not.

His response was that it was in this prototype version in my hands, and will remain so if the handset passes Orange's multiple tests which take into consideration battery life and warranty etc.

Good news on the WM5 front to (and I shouldnt really be giving you this info) - however, we were told that Microsoft and Orange are currently working on a WM5 upgrade for both the C550 and the M500 :lol:

Now if that isn't brilliant news for existing owners, I don't know what is....

but remember, you didnt hear it from me :o

Guest Pondrew

In case anyone was following the exchange between Sporkguy and I on whether the M500 is even capable of running WM5, I've moved the posts to the Magician specific thread in the Pocket PC Phone section here

Guest SPVGixer
...... if the handset passes Orange's multiple tests which take into consideration battery life and warranty etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They must have introduced the battery tests after the release of the original SPV! :o

Guest nevawlkalone
Good news on the WM5 front to (and I shouldnt really be giving you this info) - however, we were told that Microsoft and Orange are currently working on a WM5 upgrade for both the C550 and the M500 :o

When will this upgrade be availible??

C600 will be available in Nov sometime - was meant to be this month! (surprise surprise orange)

not fair for upgrading C550 and M500 - should be C500 too! (jeez orange grow up)

Guest chrisbpr
Hi Guys,

I was at the Orange Academy today, where all the major manufacturers were showing off their latest wares.

The 'Microsoft' section was particularly great as we got hands on with an M5000 and a prototype C600 :(

The M5000 as you would expect was brilliant, but whats more interesting is I asked the nice chap from Microsoft if the C600 final would have WiFi or not.

His response was that it was in this prototype version in my hands, and will remain so if the handset passes Orange's multiple tests which take into consideration battery life and warranty etc.

Good news on the WM5 front to (and I shouldnt really be giving you this info) - however, we were told that Microsoft and Orange are currently working on a WM5 upgrade for both the C550 and the M500 :lol:

Now if that isn't brilliant news for existing owners, I don't know what is....

but remember, you didnt hear it from me :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yup..retentions have got it on their system as being wifi enabled...no realease dat e yet though. :?:  :cry:

just been reading through this on coolsmartphone ... here

says Orange have opted not to provide Wifi or EDGE !

so this would basically make it the c550 with WM5 ??

Hmm.. can't see an upgrade for the c550 coming :?:

Edited by w411y

I went ot the Orange shop (in UK) and they told me, tihout me even asking, that teh Orange C600 is coming out in November sometime and that it WILL have wireless LAN

Guest GordonTGopher
I went ot the Orange shop (in UK) and they told me, tihout me even asking, that teh Orange C600 is coming out in November sometime and that it WILL have wireless LAN

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The C600 has just gone on sale in France (according to MsMobiles.com) and it DOESN'T have Wifi :evil: :twisted: ;) I can't see them having different options in different countries.

http://www.orange-entreprise.com/public/oe...s2.php?aid=1302

Gordon

Edited by GordonTGopher

Guest Pondrew
The C600 has just gone on sale in France (according to MsMobiles.com) and it DOESN'T have Wifi  :evil:  :twisted:  ;)  I can't see them having different options in different countries.

http://www.orange-entreprise.com/public/oe...s2.php?aid=1302

Gordon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess (if true) then that's that. No wifi on the SPV C600 as Orange France and Orange UKs product would not be different...

Guest Pondrew
Mate of mine who works for orange said that wi-fi would be supported but only for business customers ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the hardware HAS to either have it or not. Orange wouldn't be stupid enough to try and have two different versions of handset both called C600...

...anyway, this is just reverting to conjecture again so I'll bow out. There'll be confirmation soon as the device hits the streets.

If it's the case that there's no wifi. It'll be goodbye from me, after five years custom. Though I'd be a little sad to say goodbye to my EveryDay 50 tarriff.

Guest mcwarre
If it's the case that there's no wifi. It'll be goodbye from me, after five years custom. Though I'd be a little sad to say goodbye to my EveryDay 50 tarriff.

Unless you want to keep your number E50 contracts can be sold on ebay and get a lot of money look at item 5815155958 and 6437065730..............

if the C600 has only the wifi disabled then whats the problem , as some wizz kid will find away to activate it ,

wifi on a C600 is not all that important really, i understand the need on a pda phone as this has a better ie on board plus a bigger screen , look at modaco on a c550 against say a M500 , the spv M500 is way better in ALL ways , or do you need wifi to update your fizz weather app , if your that close to a wifi point use a laptop or go for a pda phone , as internet is far better on those devices :|

Guest chucky.egg

The M500 is great for surfing, and emails with attachments etc, but as a phone it aint that good!

If there was a dust free, wireless-enabled QVGA Smartphone I'd take one. The only concern I still have is over the availability of QVGA apps