New from Globalsat - SiRF III SDIO GPS 512MB

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

SD GPS devices are cool. The fact Globalsat can cram a GPS receiver on such a tiny device is impressive, but as an owner previously of the SD-501 SD GPS, I lamented the fact that I couldn't have a memory card in the device at the same time as the SD GPS.

Well... Globalsat have answered my prayers ;)

New from Globalsat is the SD-502, a SiRF III chipset based (yes, that's the cool new one) SD GPS receiver featuring 512MB of on board memory!

You can find out more details here on the Globalsat site, and i've included a picture and some details (in typical Taiwanenglish) below.

Now to find a supplier... this should work great with the SPV M5000! :D

P

Great SD-502 is the next generation GPS with memory device that offers a combination of storage capacity and nagivation all-in-one feature about the size of a postage stamp. Its 512MB of built-in memory also allows for tracking signals and storing large map data according to the mapping software usage. With our manufacturing technology along with the cutting edge, SiRF Star III chipset, this receiver has provided higher sensitivity, lower power usage and more rapid time-to-fix!

Feature:

• SiRF Star III high performance and low power consumption chipset

• Built-in high sensitivity GPS antenna

• LED to show GPS fix or not fix

• Built-in super capacitor to reserve system data for rapid satellite acquisition

• SDIO interface

• Operating platform: Pocket PC 2003, Win CE.Net, WM2003

• Base on Bsquare SDIO Now!

• Built-in memory size: 512 MB

images147_1.jpg

The SD502 should be available at the official UK distributor shortly. No firm date announced as yet, but the first place the device will arrive to will be at EasyDevices.co.uk.

Get a pre-order in so that you can guarantee yours from the initial shipment.

Guest chucky.egg

Judging by your username I'm guessing that's a blatant plug.

How can we know where the devices will appear first? And what if you get more pre-orders than your initial shipment?

Sounds like you're making promises you can't be certain you can keep

Judging by your username I'm guessing that's a blatant plug.

How can we know where the devices will appear first?  And what if you get more pre-orders than your initial shipment?

Sounds like you're making promises you can't be certain you can keep

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi chucky.egg,

Yes I do represent EasyDevices. I was just trying to provide some information as I was under the impression Paul wanted to know where he could buy the SD502.

EasyDevices are the official distributor for Globalsat. All Globalsat products arriving in the UK are distributed from our warehouses.

As I said, I was just providing information on where to get one first.

In answer to your question about battery consumption. The SD502 will use the battery from your PDA, so although a low power GPS chip is used, you have to take into account that the memory will also consume power. The power consumption is quoted at 90mA if you compare this to the SD501 (the current model without memory) this is also 90mA, so Power Consumption is pretty good.

As this device takes the power from your PDA and is not a stand alone unit like its bluetooth equivalent you can't really compare the two. I hope this answers your question.

Guest chucky.egg

Sorry fella, I'm having a bad day. Didn't mean to take it out on you.

If what you say is true (no reason to doubt it) then I stand corrected.

I guess what I meant with the battery drain question was... does this device drain the battery faster or slower than a constant Bluetooth connection to an external GPS?

I don't know what the drain of a BT connection is in mA (if you can measure it like that, I don't actually know what I'm talking about in case you hadn't noticed ;) )

I'm going to be looking for a SiRF III device in the new year, but I'm not sure what devices are going to be available.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry fella, I'm having a bad day.  Didn't mean to take it out on you.

If what you say is true (no reason to doubt it) then I stand corrected.

I guess what I meant with the battery drain question was... does this device drain the battery faster or slower than a constant Bluetooth connection to an external GPS?

I don't know what the drain of a BT connection is in mA (if you can measure it like that, I don't actually know what I'm talking about in case you hadn't noticed ;) )

I'm going to be looking for a SiRF III device in the new year, but I'm not sure what devices are going to be available.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is true your Bluetooth puts enormous drain on your battery. I don't, however, know whether the SD502 will drain it more or less than having bluetooth activated. If I were to guess I'd say the SDIO GPS receiver will drain it less. This is an educated guess though and not to be taken as fact.

If you want something to compare it to, try to find the power consumption of a memory card and use that as your comparison.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Hi All,

Just thought I'd let everybody know that the Globalsat SD-502 SDIO GPS Receiver with built-in memory has arrived in the UK!!!

This is quite probably the coolest GPS receiver we have ever had.

Check it out...

GLOBALSAT SD502 GPS RECEIVER FROM EASYDEVICES

Sorry to bump an old topic but I'm interested in one of these cards. Did anyone ever go ahead and buy one, if so, what did you think about it? The price doesn't seem too bad. Do you get reasonable mapping software with the product or is this an extra cost you'd need to add on top. Also, is an Eten M500 the same as an Orange M500?

Cheers

Guest fluffcat1
Sorry to bump an old topic but I'm interested in one of these cards. Did anyone ever go ahead and buy one, if so, what did you think about it? The price doesn't seem too bad. Do you get reasonable mapping software with the product or is this an extra cost you'd need to add on top. Also, is an Eten M500 the same as an Orange M500?

Cheers

Dunno about the SDIO card, but an Eten E500 is *not* an Orange M500. Made by different manufacturers, and the major difference is that the eten device can be upgraded officially to wm2005 for about

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.