Ask Paul [MVP]: SPV C600 Q&A

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]
Hi Paul

Are you able to test Tom Tom Mobile 5?

Just wondering if it will work on the new phone.

Also if I was to hold off getting this one what is the next C500 type phone expected to be released?

Any idea of time frame? Say I was to wait another 6 months?

Cheers

Fozza

TomTom 5 won't work on the C600 - as with the C550 - until an update is released.

No idea on the next Smartphone, bizarrely, i've not heard a thing!

P

Guest kalantz
My handset has only T9 English, French, German, Italian and Dutch.

It IS the UK build tho!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you think that French or other version may support Greek?

Guest iwilliams
Screen looks fantastic, the fact 'the screen is close to the screen cover' if you know what I mean (unlike the C550) really makes a difference.

It's definitely what impresses people most!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool

Thanks

Is the qtek 8310 the same screen and close to the window like the c600

The one thing I hate about my C500 is that it often takes ages to re-acquire a signal having gone out of reception (e.g. in a tunnel). Nokias and Sony Ericssons seem to handle these situations far better. Does the C600 improve on this at all?

Thanks!

Guest glynton

Why why why did orange choose not to incorporate WiFi?

Any idea on upgrade costs?

Does the C600 sync videos with WMP like MP3s do with an MP3 player? i.e. does it automatically choose the best quality for the device and then compress the video and transfer?

(also, why does Modaco not let me sign in using MSN Premium Explorer? I have to use Internet Explorer which is annoying.)

Guest Sgt_Strider

Can you list what the prices are for this phone with contract and no contract? Are text legible when viewing a word document? I'm assuming there is less scrolling as a result of the higher resolution?

How about some pictures? ;)

Guest bluesmudge

Heres one -

Is it possible to plug in a external ariel into the phone? (does it still have to rubber bung you can pull out on the back of the phone) And if so is the connector the same as the c500?

cheers

Guest trevormuk

Hi Paul

Thanks for your earlier answers..

It has been suggested that the Wi-Fi hardware element of the C600 has simply been "disabled" for Orange... can you tell from the handset you have whether this is the case?

Cheers

Guest Matt Whitfield

Hi Paul,

I didn't see any mention of it in the Flash thread, so I'm interested to know if Windows Mobile 2005 supports Flash / Flash Lite?

Might be doing something at work with mobile Flash, so I would be interested to know ;-) Seems to be gaining some momentum in terms of interest even in my industry...

Cheers,

Guest DomConway

Hi Paul

Nice one for answering all these questions, it's much appreciated!

I have a quick one - what's the keypad like to use, is it similar to the C500 one? I found the C550 one a nightmare to use as the keys were so small and close together, which is why I stuck with my C500.

Cheers

Dom

Edited by DomConway

Guest tsutton

Paul, you said that any questions you can't answer will be passed to Orange.

Well, I got one for you... tell Orange that they made a bad move of disabling WiFi on this phone. Make them re-consider about our needs. You can see how many people was sad to hear about it in this thread.

Cheers.

Guest Paul [MVP]
The one thing I hate about my C500 is that it often takes ages to re-acquire a signal having gone out of reception (e.g. in a tunnel).  Nokias and Sony Ericssons seem to handle these situations far better.  Does the C600 improve on this at all?

Thanks!

I hope to have a Nokia N70 very soon, so i'll do some radio comparisons as there seems a lot of interest!

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Why why why did orange choose not to incorporate WiFi?

I'll forward this one to Orange ;)

Any idea on upgrade costs?

Ditto!

Does the C600 sync videos with WMP like MP3s do with an MP3 player? i.e. does it automatically choose the best quality for the device and then compress the video and transfer?
It does, I haven't tested it on the final build but will do so at the weekend!

(also, why does Modaco not let me sign in using MSN Premium Explorer? I have to use Internet Explorer which is annoying.

No idea what that is... sounds like a cookie problem tho, is MSNPE blocking them?

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Can you list what the prices are for this phone with contract and no contract? Are text legible when viewing a word document? I'm assuming there is less scrolling as a result of the higher resolution?

How about some pictures? ;)

I'll ask Orange for prices.

There is no native Word viewing on the device... so do you mean using Clearvue or something similar?

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
no wireless huh?

oh - dont break the device already lol

ok... what version of .NET compact framework is installed on the device? 1.1 or 2.0? ;)

1.1... 2.0 is an additional install (boo!), and it eats up a lot of space ;(

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Heres one -

Is it possible to plug in a external ariel into the phone? (does it still have to rubber bung you can pull out on the back of the phone) And if so is the connector the same as the c500?

cheers

Rubber bung still present, connector LOOKS the same ;)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Hi Paul

Thanks for your earlier answers..

It has been suggested that the Wi-Fi hardware element of the C600 has simply been "disabled" for Orange... can you tell from the handset you have whether this is the case?

Cheers

The WiFi hardware is NOT present.

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Hi Paul,

I didn't see any mention of it in the Flash thread, so I'm interested to know if Windows Mobile 2005 supports Flash / Flash Lite?

Might be doing something at work with mobile Flash, so I would be interested to know ;-)  Seems to be gaining some momentum in terms of interest even in my industry...

Cheers,

No Flash support i'm afraid Matt! ;)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Hi Paul

Nice one for answering all these questions, it's much appreciated!

I have a quick one - what's the keypad like to use, is it similar to the C500 one?  I found the C550 one a nightmare to use as the keys were so small and close together, which is why I stuck with my C500.

Cheers

Dom

Like you, I hated the C550 keys!

The keys on the C600 are way better, perhaps not QUITE as good as the C500, but very close!

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.