HTC Wizard bug list?

Guest cclboss

Guest cclboss

Since there are more and more Wizards (Qtek 9100, iMate K-Jam) out there, I was wondering if people would want to contribute to a list of bugs that they noticed on their device. By and large, I think WM5 is pretty good but I still noticed a few issues on my K-Jam, although they are mostly related to software compatibility with WM5.

I think that happens to mine is when I receive a call, I noticed that the screen randomly toggles between portrait and landscape (while the keyboard is closed). The ring tone (a WAV) is also affected and rings intermittently. However, this only happens occassionally, sometimes it would be fine.

Anybody else has this problem?

Guest cclboss

Thought I would add one more here. I tried to install Mactiontech's Monster Chinese (version 5 which is WM5 compatible) and although I can see Chinese characters on the header of the emails, once I open the email, I see a blank page. Same goes for Pocket IE. (Blank page).

I suspect this has to do with whatever codepage is being loaded but I'm not techie enough to find out more.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Guest jonhitch

Not really a bug but just something I wish was available. Unlike the Magician the Wizard does not have a shortcut for toggling the screen between landscape and portrait. I would find this really useful as I don't just want the unit in landscape when I'm using the keyboard or camera!

Does anyone know a quick way of doing this (instead of going into settings)?

Guest MitchellO

What exactly do they do? Does rotate_screen.cab install some kind of shortcut, and tray_launch.cab an icon in the tray on the Today screen (like on the Magician)?

What exactly do they do? Does rotate_screen.cab install some kind of shortcut, and tray_launch.cab an icon in the tray on the Today screen (like on the Magician)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rotate_screen installs a program on the device and a shortcut in a folder under your programs folder which does as the name suggests.

tray_launch does the same but it is used from the system tray and allows you to configure other applications to run from the system tray also. Best of all you can turn it on or off so all the apps configured to run from the tray using this app can be in the tray or not depending on your needs.

So if you install them both. Go into the tray launch setup in the programs folder and configure it to include rotate screen. You will then have a rotate screen icon in the system tray as you did using the magician.

Edited by bretto

Nice!! Will have to give those a go. My K-JAM arrived at my dads office this morning, so will be installing some apps tonight :D :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dont you just love getting new toys ;)

Im keeping an eye on what people think of the K-JAM because Im interested in getting one myself.

Guest MitchellO

I know, I really do know. I love new toys :D :D Problem with being 16 is I like expensive toys ;) I pay for them myself, so I appreciate them even more :D

Its funny, I expected my Mini to last a fair while longer than it did, because it was simply an awesome device. But the K-JAM (or 9100, didn't really care) was just about the same size (just a tad thicker), but had WiFi, WM5 and b/i KB!!! I so missed the thumboard from my previous PDA (iPAQ 4355, damn good PDA), so I can get back into it. With the 4355, I used it for MSN more than my laptop (about 80% of the time), but the onscreen keyboard of the Mini was just too painful.

Come home early today dad!!!!

Guest jonhitch
rotate_screen installs a program on the device and a shortcut in a folder under your programs folder which does as the name suggests.

tray_launch does the same but it is used from the system tray and allows you to configure other applications to run from the system tray also. Best of all you can turn it on or off so all the apps configured to run from the tray using this app can be in the tray or not depending on your needs.

So if you install them both. Go into the tray launch setup in the programs folder and configure it to include rotate screen. You will then have a rotate screen icon in the system tray as you did using the magician.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fantastic - thanks!

Guest jonhitch
I installed it, but it rotates the screen the wrong way ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which way is the right way? I'd assume that the same way as when the keyboard is out would be best? Hope this can get resolved as it sounds like a great little hack!

Guest MitchellO

Yeah, it would be good then.

For devices without the slideout keyboard on the side it would be fine, but I would rather have it face the keyboard side.

OK here is another approach.

It might be that the rotate icon is simply turned off in the system by default. You could check to see if the ScreenRotate registry key exists and if so turn it on.

1. With regedit program go to HKLM\Service\ScreenRotate

2. If the key exists change "ShowIcon" from 0 to 1

Fingers crossed...

Guest cclboss

Just to update on my problem with screen rotating between portrait and landscape randomly. The cause is due to the magnets in the carry case. When the phone rings and I pull it out of the case, the magnets causes the screen to rotate to landscape and then when the phone is out of the magnetic range, it rotates back to portrait. In the process, the ringtone is intermittent probably due to lack of processor power to change screen orientation and play .WAV

This can be verified by touching the area around the IR port to the magnets. Anyway, this is apparently a known problem of the Wizard.

Guest bennish

weird! never heard of that.

I have my first bug to report... all the htc items in control panel (wipe memory, the battery app, etc) disappeared. only the base standard microsoft ones were there. came back on soft reset. bit weird?

bretto, totally get one. my only regret is that now i don't really have a need for that womderful scenario app (i use the softkey that's already set to switch between vibrate/normal, then pull down volume to 'off' in one nice smooth motion - so nice to have that already built in.)

OK this is the best I can find.

PHM Keys...is a program that can do heps of stuff including rotate CW, CCW, etc.

Apparently you can create shortcuts to PHMKeys with command lines to perform the task.

I guess then you can add the shortcut to the trap app posted earlier.

PHM Keys site

Could be the one ;)

Qtek 9100: even when in vibrate mode, the hang up button goes 'plink' when pressed. Anyone else have that problem/know a solution? I dislike noises except for ringing.