Whats the verdict on M5000?

Guest Heartdoc

Guest glynton

I've been offered this free as an upgrade and I'm thinking of keeping my beloved C500 as my phone and using the M5000 as an ultra-portable laptop device thinkgy.... so I have some burning questions:

1) Can the device be run without a sim-card?

2) Does the 3G sim card provided with the device work in a C500?

3) Would there be a way (hack) of making the M5000 work without a sim card if by default it doesn't?

4) Does it come with any kind of protective case like the very first (original) SPV did?

I wasn't going to bother to upgrade at all because i was so happy with my C500 (and the C600 doesn't have WiFi) but since being offered this M5000 for free I'm really tempted. I think question 2 is more important so i can use the sim card in my C500 for nights out even if the M5000 doesn't work without a sim card.

Thanks,

Glyn

Edited by glynton

Guest afhstingray

yes, you can use it without a sim card. but the phone screen shows up from time to time saying no sim, which is a bit irritating.

the USIM does work in my C500

it does come with a pleather slip case, which i think is a bit silly, because the device is already huge enough without needing the added bulk of a case. if u keep it in your briefcase it would come in handy, but because of its flip design, i dont really find any need to use a case as the screen and keyboard are already protected when you put it in your pocket (i keep mine in my coat). i've had this kind of experience with my sony NX70, which was a flip and twist design as well.

im basically running the same setup you have in mind, (c500+m5000) and its really quite close to perfection...

the m5000 can be compared to the orignal ipaq....a sign of things to come, its the first device of its kind, and its really good, but the rough edges still need to be polished offf

i cant wait to see what device replaces it a year from now!!!!!

oh just a note about its size-- i think the previous xda's plus a case (no folding design means no screen protection without case) equals the size of this device

if you;re not coming from a relatively large pda (like my sony or perhaps an old school ipaq h5550 etc) you'll find it a problem at first

Edited by afhstingray

Guest glynton

I'm thinking of it as more of a rucksack device (student), as opposed to a pocket device. Thanks for your reply. Have made my mind up... going for an M5000 (as soon as they're back in stock).

Thanks,

Glyn

Guest rhaleuk
I'm thinking of it as more of a rucksack device (student), as opposed to a pocket device. Thanks for your reply. Have made my mind up... going for an M5000 (as soon as they're back in stock).

Thanks,

Glyn

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget its got bluetooth; so if you have a headset you can still use this device as a phone. Some of us actually make a few phone calls with it and it works quite well... despite what others would have you think.

But why should you have to use a bluetooth headset (which is almost as big as a small mobile anyway!) just to make voice calls on the M5000? Without a headset, it is an awkward, unreliable, two-handed operation to use it as a phone.

Guest Larnsky
But why should you have to use a bluetooth headset (which is almost as big as a small mobile anyway!) just to make voice calls on the M5000? Without a headset, it is an awkward, unreliable, two-handed operation to use it as a phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd still dis-agree with that statement, its no more awkward in making calls then any other PDA phone on the market. I prefer the sound quality on it over my old M1000 infact. I use a combination of the handset, the speakerphone, or my Jabra BT800 headset with caller display, all work perfectly in my eyes.

I will admit the only annoying fact is that if you do have it in clamshell in your pocket and someone rings, and you want to see who it is before answering then you do often miss it, but if you just answer it anyway its fine.!!

Guest rhaleuk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You CAN make and receive calls fine with this phone. Even when in "clamshell" mode. I dont know why people are making such a stink about having to turn the screen around. It takes all of 2 seconds. The screen update does not take as long as people are suggesting. Especially if you manage the memory correctly.

I will admit that an external screen would be of benefit. It would be naive to suggest otherwise. But other than that I think people are being overly critical!

I get the feeling that some M5000s are very buggy, but without an obvious fault.

My M5000 drops the call if you try and open the screen. If its closed, then it drops the call 9 out of 10 times when you press the green external pickup button.

My particular M5000 also has an annoying habit of re-setting volume levels for both phone and PDA functions, so you have to then increase the volume manually (this fault may be related to the fact that I cannot turn off "screen clicks" - I deselect them in the menu, but they refuse to be gagged!)

Guest removed-14
I get the feeling that some M5000s are very buggy, but without an obvious fault.

My M5000 drops the call if you try and open the screen. If its closed, then it drops the call 9 out of 10 times when you press the green external pickup button.

My particular M5000 also has an annoying habit of re-setting volume levels for both phone and PDA functions, so you have to then increase the volume manually (this fault may be related to the fact that I cannot turn off "screen clicks" - I deselect them in the menu, but they refuse to be gagged!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd send it back then cause my O2 XDA Exec has yet to drop a call when answering and opening it up to see who it is takes about 2 seconds if that! Or it could be the Orange ROM is poor. If so then O2 have got it right.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My M5000 does the same - drops calls if it's closed and you try to open it (you have to open it coz the call quality is really naff with the cover closed - you seem to get the "delayed echo" effect which is very disconcerting :?: ).

Like the man with the XDA Exec said, it sounds like Orange have a few issues they need to sort out with a ROM update.......we wait with baited breath!!

Mark.

Guest Markda2000

Like most other Orang customers I was waiting for the release of the M5000 and calling them every day for details.

I had a SE1010 with so many issues ( switching itself off when receiving calls or texts - on my 6th handset since feb) that I could not wait to upgrade. When I finally did get my upgrade price of free, but without any enticing data bundles I decided to get the MDA Pro instead. And what a relief it has been, it seems from all your posts that Orange has messed around with the firmware too much again. This being after I was told that Orange were delaying the launch of the M5000 in order to have a much more stable ROM than O2 ot Tmobile.

All I can suggest is that you all you M5000 owners don't stand for it. Insist on replacing your handset with Orange as soon as you notice a problem.

Incidentally My T mobile coverage on 3G is much better than Orange. ( I still have the Z1010 under contract till Jan and both handsets are always together.)

Guest VulakAerr

I've not had any problems whatsoever with my M5000. I'm incredibly happy with it. To those complaining about slow response: Disable Automatic Error Checking and turn off that damned Orange Today screen. They both slow down the device. To those bitching about location of things like closing down programs: You should've done more research. Pocket PC and Windows CE have always functioned like this and it's as good a way as any for the device to function.

To those moaning that there's no external caller ID, I would suggest you invest in Voice Command and enable the option for the phone to read out the caller ID when the phone rings.

I can't argue with those who get problems with having calls drop. I don't understand that and have never experienced it. Sorry. :)

Guest Jasonkruys

Have to agree, my M5000 is working marvellously, with only a few quirks! The certainly don't spoil the device.

Disabling error reporting, and the Orange today screen have made the phone respond significantly faster. reckon it takes a max of 2 seconds to re-orientate the screen if I have been fart arsing about with stuff and have tomtom open etc.. etc..

Looking forward to the next ROM upgrade, to hopefully make this perfect!

Guest removed-14
I've not had any problems whatsoever with my M5000. I'm incredibly happy with it. To those complaining about slow response: Disable Automatic Error Checking and turn off that damned Orange Today screen. They both slow down the device. To those bitching about location of things like closing down programs: You should've done more research. Pocket PC and Windows CE have always functioned like this and it's as good a way as any for the device to function.

To those moaning that there's no external caller ID, I would suggest you invest in Voice Command and enable the option for the phone to read out the caller ID when the phone rings.

I can't argue with those who get problems with having calls drop. I don't understand that and have never experienced it. Sorry. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you enable the voice command to read out the caller id? And how do you turn off automatic error checking?

Cheers

Guest rhaleuk

You can add another to list of people with an Orange M5000 working WITHOUT PROBLEMS. No dropped calls, no problem with opening screen to answer calls, no problem with screen rotation.

I have to say... free wifi RULES!

Edited by rhaleuk

Guest removed-14
start>settings>system>error reporting

did you guys read the news abt new roms with the push email coming out after january?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers much appreciated.

Guest VulakAerr

To enable verbal caller ID in Voice Command go to Start --> Settings --> Voice Command, select Phone from the list and go to Options. (Oh and make sure phone is ticked in that list).

Guest removed-14
To enable verbal caller ID in Voice Command go to Start --> Settings --> Voice Command, select Phone from the list and go to Options. (Oh and make sure phone is ticked in that list).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers for that managed to sort it.

Guest jonnegri

Got mine today M5000. Seriously don't bother unless you very patient and don't mind haning very poor reception. I acually love the phone and can put up with the VERY poor sinal reception but unfortuantly it does not support line 2 on orange which I can not do without.

I am afriad I will have to sell on ebay as an unwanted upgrade. Oh well £400 ish aint bad for nothing.

Back to my good old faithfull C500 for another year.

:)

Got mine today M5000. Seriously don't bother unless you very patient and don't mind haning very poor reception. I acually love the phone and can put up with the VERY poor sinal reception but unfortuantly it does not support line 2 on orange which I can not do without.

I am afriad I will have to sell on ebay as an unwanted upgrade. Oh well £400 ish aint bad for nothing.

Back to my good old faithfull C500 for another year.

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure if the reception that the phone says it has is what it really is, think it may be a bug fixable in the next rom update.

Seemings you got it today I'm sure that you can send it back (as it is within 14 days) and try a different device.

About the speed of the device, i think that can be made faster by removing the Orange today screen.

But dont take my word for all that, i don't have the device myself (yet) but am just going by what I have picked up flicking through some topics on here

Guest Jasonkruys

I have to say, the reception on my M5000 is better than my C500, and I live in a VERY poor signal area (BH21 6, check it on the orange coverage map). Also, as has been said, the indicated signal is not always a good indication, I can still make and receive calls perfectly well with very little signal displayed. The M5000 will also obtain a signal much quicker than the C500 once it has lost it.

If you disable the Orange Today screen, and use Windows default, and also disable error reporting, the device will spedd up tenfold. No exaggeration. It really makes that much difference.

I gues if you need line two, none of this makes any difference tho