Cannot copy files to Desktop PC over ActiveSync

Guest lekus

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem, but I can't find anything about it on the net, although it's not the easiest thing to google for.

Basically, ActiveSync works fine for me over both Bluetooth and USB. I can install software onto my Wizard and I can copy any files I want onto it. The problem comes when I try to take files off the Wizard.

ActiveSync actually acts as if nothing is wrong, it seemingly copies the selected files onto my PC, even taking a while to do so with a large number of files, but they never actually appear on my PC, no matter where I try to copy them to.

It's like ActiveSync is copying them into a black hole ;)

Using ActiveSync 4.1 (4.0 does the same) and no firewall blocking anything. Happens over both USB and Bluetooth.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

(I have the "Files" synchronization option deselected in ActiveSync's options, as the problem persists even if this is turned on. Having it turned on just puts a pretty useless (to me) sync folder on my desktop that doesn't sync with my miniSD anyway.)

I'm guessing that you ARE using the "Explore" option from within ActiveSync, and then exploring to the file you want and dragging it to your PC (desktop for example)?

That's works fine for me.

In Win XP, when you're phone is connected via USB, it should appear through Windows Explorer as "Mobile Device" under an "Other" section . This way you don't even need to go through ActiveSync to use the "Explore" function (which only opens Windows Explorere anyway - so same result either way).

If you're doing either of the above, then i'm confused, sorry.

Yup, doing it exactly like that. Just trying to drag some images to my desktop via ActiveSync's explorer/My Computer->Mobile Device.

Trying to copy from both the internal storage/phone or the miniSD card inside, both results in the copy operation taking place, but when finished no files are present on my PC no matter where I try to copy to.

I thought it may be something to do with not having Guest account access enabled, but enabling it on my machine hasn't helped either.

Edited by lekus

Guest cygnuskaltora

I am having the exact same issue, only with a Windows CE .NET 4.2 Barcode scanner. I can copy the files from my desktop and past them to the handheld and everything works fine. If I try to copy from the handheld to the desktop, the copy dialog comes up, but nothing shows up. If I cut the file from the handheld and past to the local desktop, the file on the handheld disappears, but no file shows up on the desktop at all. It's nice to know that I'm not just going crazy, but does anyone have a solution to this issue? I cannot find anything online other than this forum that mentions it.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay all of a sudden this is happening to me to. Nothing copys down to my PC. If the files is already there (by the same name) it asks if I want to overwrite but never does. If there is no file by this name nothing happens. Please if anyone has a answer!!

Guest cygnuskaltora

This is EXACTLY the same thing that is happening to me, but I cannot find an answer anywhere. I loaded the software on a different machine and all was fine. I reloaded it on my machine (same model) and no luck. I can upload all day. I'll look into it some more when I have some time.

The only alternative is to connect to a read/write network share on your PC over WiFi and copy stuff off the phone this way.

I'm not sure if this is a bug in ActiveSync or something to do with the configuration of the PC itself. As far as I can tell, connecting to ActiveSync over bluetooth doesn't cause a new LAN connection to appear on the PC yet files still can't be copied over. This made me think that it was nothing to do with the configuration of the LAN connection that ActiveSync creates when you sync via USB but I'm not sure of that anymore...

I've certainly tried everything I can think of to get it working but without success. I think what's most annoying is knowing that data can be transmitted back and forth without any problem, just that the saving of data from the device seems to fail after all the data of the file(s) has been transmitted.

When ActiveSync copies files, it 1st copies them to your temp folder before they go to the folder you asked for.

I don't have my USB cable with me to test but...

1) Go to the temp folder on your PC (by typing %tmp% in Explorer's Address Bar)

2) There'll be a hidden subfolder (so you'll need to have "show hidden files and folders" enabled in Explorer's Tools->Folder Options) called something like wceblahblah

I'm not entirely sure of the exact folder name but it begins something like wce

You may be able to find the files there

looeee

When ActiveSync copies files, it 1st copies them to your temp folder before they go to the folder you asked for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting. I tried to copy some files and found that they ended up in a folder called "_PegEx~1" under temp. It contained all 4 files I tried to copy unsuccessfully and they were all complete.

The 4 WCExxxx.log files that were also present in the temp folder had no mention of failed file copies though.

I had an idea that this could be to do with the ActiveSync process not having permission to move the transfered files to the destination desired after copying (to temp) had completed. This seems unlikely though as I have folders that shouldn't require permissions to have files copied into them and yet it still doesn't work if I try copying to those folders.

Guest cygnuskaltora

Nice. Nice to see that the files are indeed getting on the PC, but why are they not moving? Hmmm...

I can copy the files out of the temp directory to wherever I wanted them without issue, but I still cannot get ActiveSync to do it. I'm sure that it is not a rights issue with my user ID as I am the Admin of the Domain. The software is running as my user ID as well, so unless there is another username that runs the export software, I'm not sure where to go from here.

Edited by cygnuskaltora

• 3 weeks later...

ive just started getting this problem on my c550 - no idea why it was working fine then all of sudden it just wont copy any file to where i want it

glad there is this folder workaround - found the file in there cheers for that info

still be good to find out whats happened though

ive tried using as 3.7, 3.8 and 4 all do the same thing - box says copying but file never appears to copy location

Edited by delta9

• 3 weeks later...

Haha....oh boy.

I just exported my Vario's registry onto it's miniSD card. Out of interest I thought I'd try copying the .reg file onto my PC over ActiveSync, although I didn't expect it to work properly as I still have the problem of the files getting stored in the temp folder on my PC.

It must be my lucky night however, as it's just copied the file straight onto my desktop (over bluetooth) no questions asked, worked perfectly.

How did I achieve this feat of wonder? I have absolutely no idea. Nothing on my PC or Vario has changed that I can think of; at least nothing that would have anything to do with ActiveSync or the storage of files.

• 2 months later...
Guest snibbo

Lucky man. My iPAQ 2790 decided it wouldn't copy files up (device->PC) any more. They end up in ...\Local Settings\Temp\_PegEx~1\, just like yours did. I have no idea why this is happening. I've hard-reset the iPAQ and reinstalled everything; I've also reinstalled Active Sync 4.1, all to no avail. (BTW it's irritating that when I have deleted the partnership(s) and reinstalled ActiveSync it tells me it is retrieving the settings - where from, I ask.) Anyway, if you have any idea how to fix the copy problem PLEASE PLEASE tell me.

• 1 year later...
Guest Spoonman_au

If you select copy the selected items from the left side of the window in xp it will allow you to copy the files.

• 2 months later...
Guest arana
If you select copy the selected items from the left side of the window in xp it will allow you to copy the files.

also if you use windows explorer (not the explore button in active sync) and then navigate to mobile device then you can copy anything from there, it is just the "explorer" window that active sync opens that gives the problem.

another way that works is (if you want to use the active sync explore option) use the same window to copy anything, do not paste to other windows, just navigate within the same window and paste from there (this is stupid i know but it works)

i would love to find a fix for this as it is happening to my qtek8310 also on my laptop 9no proms at home pc)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest excalfirst
also if you use windows explorer (not the explore button in active sync) and then navigate to mobile device then you can copy anything from there, it is just the "explorer" window that active sync opens that gives the problem.

another way that works is (if you want to use the active sync explore option) use the same window to copy anything, do not paste to other windows, just navigate within the same window and paste from there (this is stupid i know but it works)

i would love to find a fix for this as it is happening to my qtek8310 also on my laptop 9no proms at home pc)

Make sure you have Show Hidden files and System files enabled on your Windows PC. I enabled Show Hidden Files on my PC and the files were still not showing up. After navigating from a DOS prompt to the folder that I copied the files to, I did an ATTRIB Command, and all of the files were listed and after looking at the attributes, I noticed it was all of the files flagged as System files that were not showing up. Once I turned on show System Files, they all showed up. It will give you a warning about protecting your system files, but you won't see the files unless you enable it.

• 3 months later...
Guest deechtewber

I've found a solution for this problem in this site. Here it is:

If you are having problems with partial synchronizations or missing notes, try re-registering the OLE32.dll. This is done by clicking on "Start" and then select "Run". Then in the box for the Run Command and type: Regsvr32.exe %Windir%\System32\Ole32.dll

By the way: in my case, files wouldn't be copied to my XP-PC from both my E-ten M700 PDA and my Fuji Finepix s6500fd camera. So it not only affects activesync, but other USB-connected devices as well.

• 2 years later...
Guest Jim in LA

I have a weird situation. Activesync connects to my AT&T Tilt2 and syncs (albeit the sync hangs every now and then) - BUT THE MOBILE DEVICE ICON DOESN'T SHOW UP IN EXPLORER. Easy Sync and CERegEditor connect to the mobile device - but I can't manually transfer files since I can't find the icon!

Any ideas anyone?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest richardlister
I have a weird situation. Activesync connects to my AT&T Tilt2 and syncs (albeit the sync hangs every now and then) - BUT THE MOBILE DEVICE ICON DOESN'T SHOW UP IN EXPLORER. Easy Sync and CERegEditor connect to the mobile device - but I can't manually transfer files since I can't find the icon!

Any ideas anyone?

Jim - did you resolve this? I have same prob.

Have you got SPB Mobile shell 3.5 on your device?

regards,

Richard

Guest richardlister
Jim - did you resolve this? I have same prob.

Have you got SPB Mobile shell 3.5 on your device?

regards,

Richard

Solved it. It's the activesync connection setting - allow wireless connection on device when connected to the desktop.

R

Guest Jim in LA
Solved it. It's the activesync connection setting - allow wireless connection on device when connected to the desktop.

R

I did. I uninstalled Activesync - and reinstalled (4.5). My icon reappeared and I've been able to use.