New phone time, thinking of orange M500

Guest timmillwood

Guest timmillwood

Ok, i havent been here on Modaco since 2003-2003 when i have my SPV, it was the original.

I am now looking for a new phone, i didnt get another windows phone because i moved to an Apple Mac and i didnt think it would go too well, but now with missing sync getting better and better the windows phone option is coming back.

i am thinking of the orange m500 but i dont know what its like, i had a P910 and didnt like the input method whats it like on the m500?, is the m500 the same as the iMate JAM?

should i go windows or stick with what i'm used to with a nokia

Guest chucky.egg

As a phone the M500 isn't too good IMO. It's not awful, but it takes a lot of getting used to, and as a phone it just isn't as convenient as a phone-with-PDA-functions.

Having said that I kept my C500 when I got my M500, thinking that I might have to switch back, and I've not looked at the C500 since... so it can't be that bad.

Input methods are OK. I find for most things it's easier to use the stylus, but (with some tweaking of settings) you can just about use it one handed. The P910 has the little keypad doesn't it? There is no hardware keypad on the M500.

The M500 is pretty much the same as the Jam. Bear in mind that some accessories for the Jam wont fit the M500 (things like docking stations and car mounts) because the casing is different.

I've had various problems with ActiveSync, and sometimes the phone get stuck in a Soft Reset loop. I have thought a couple of times over the last 2-3 days whether it's worth the hassle, but when it works (which is the vast majority of the time) it's great.

With hindsight I would have got the S110, which has twice as much memory, but the M500 is "fine" if not "great"

Guest BarneyHaye
Ok, i havent been here on Modaco since 2003-2003 when i have my SPV, it was the original.

I am now looking for a new phone, i didnt get another windows phone because i moved to an Apple Mac and i didnt think it would go too well, but now with missing sync getting better and better the windows phone option is coming back.

i am thinking of the orange m500 but i dont know what its like, i had a P910 and didnt like the input method whats it like on the m500?, is the m500 the same as the iMate JAM?

should i go windows or stick with what i'm used to with a nokia

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I moved to an M500 from a P900 a couple of months ago. Probably as you'd expect, things are good and bad.

Apps: WM2003 has a better set of standard apps - to me its a bit like Windows 95 was, Office was great to use, but the platform was flaky. The PIM capability is good. I also run StyleTap Palm environment and that lets me run all the old Palm apps I licensed in the past.

Email: ActiveSync to Exchange makes my worklife much easier than using a POP client on Symbian (or PalmOS before that). This bit is really good and the standard messaging client works very well. Looking forward to trying Exchange Push Email, but WM5 required so I won't be doing THAT on an M500.

OS: WM2003 is just not as resilient as it should be. Far too often a poor app prevents use of the phone. Symbian was faster and more reliable (I think it has separate memory for the phone so it can run more like a real-time o/s. Hard/Soft Reset trick has given some extra memory of the M500 and that has improved matters slightly. M500 really needs 128MB memory, just like newer JAMs. WM2003 Phone Edition is not sufficiently integrated to hardware or stable enough yet.

Hardware: The M500 is well-built, very robust and battery life is better than P900 (by about 50%, I'd guess) - I can sometimes be out of the office for two days without a charger. Screen is good, but the design of WM2003 causes real problems when you try to just shove the device into your jeans back-pocket (a mandatory requirement for any phone, imho). When the phone is awoken by an event or a phone call, you can expect to carry out several inadvertent actions just getting it to your ear. NOT CLEVER. Size is close to perfect though. Getting a powered car-holder was a real headache - ended up with a Brodit designed for the JAM and it just fits if you shave off the rubber steady strake on the rear of the casing.

Telephony integration: This is what really doesn't work well. The M500 desparately needs some extra h/w buttons to allow one-handed use. The dialler function is very fiddly - don't try to use it when driving!!!!! The SE P-series just has it close to perfect in my opinion both in call handling and integration of functions. Ericssons experience with mobile phones really shows.

Input: After five years of Graffiti on Palm, I just love the WM block input version. Its better than the original graffiti, but I can't exactly define why... The P900 used a version of Jot that is far behind - I never managed to write a word that ends in an 'l' followed by a space that didn't result in a 't' being written.

In summary, the M500 is part-way there. I expect that a Treo 700W running WM5 may overcome all of the packaging issues, but unfortunately any PDA that LOOKS like a phone gets aircrew very hot under the collar (I travel by plane a lot). Another contender might be the Motorola Q or back to Symbian for the P990.

Choice can be a difficult thing...

Guest chucky.egg
M500 really needs 128MB memory, just like newer JAMs.  WM2003 Phone Edition is not sufficiently integrated to hardware or stable enough yet.

Agree

When the phone is awoken by an event or a phone call, you can expect to carry out several inadvertent actions just getting it to your ear.  NOT CLEVER. 

Agreed, a stupid oversight IMO.

You can solve this with 3rd party apps though - I've been using PicturePassword (which has some faults) and am just trying out ScreenGuard (much better so far). Either of these solves that particular problem.

don't try to use it when driving!!!!!

You shouldn't be doing that anyway (in the UK at least)

I never managed to write a word that ends in an 'l' followed by a space that didn't result in a 't' being written.

I had that on the m500 too, but turning QuickStroke on in the Letter Recogniser settings solves it

It's funny (not) that we're having almost exactly the same issues. I suspect that goes back to your comments about Ericssons experience in designing phones paying off.

I have just tried the Vario (T-Mobile) i loved it, great size lovely screen, new windows which makes sending and receiving bluetooth files a dream...

The package i signed up for gave me 40mb a month of free gprs but as the unit is not 3G i am sending this back... I am holding out for a nice 3G unit as i hate the connection of GPRS. ok the unit has WIFI and i can use this at home for free but i might as well use my PSP as this has a bigger screen.

I would be shouting the vario from rooftops if it was 3G :) but hey, and i am not sold on T-Mobile :cry:

Guest timmillwood

i think i might just stick with a nokia, i like having keys to text thats why i swapped the p910 for a nokia 6630, i just like a big screen.

i run a mac and hate microsoft so i guess nokia will be my best option, sorry for wasting your time.

Guest chucky.egg

No worries there, WM isn't for everyone (some days I'm sure it for me either)

FWIW the Nokia N70 seems to be getting rave reviews from friends that have seen/used one. Dont know them apart myself, but Ive heard it several times now.

Guest Pondrew

I was talking to a friend of mine on the phone a short time ago and he was saying he'd got the N70. Happy with it BUT not pleased to find it wasn't compatible with his bluetooth headset...

Guest timmillwood

i am now thinking about the HTC Wizard, T-mobile MDA Vario, Orange M3000

i want the orange version but will it ever come out in UK?

The only things which put me off are there is no vibrate alert, and not 3g

anyone had any experience of the phone?

I have a Vario and it definitely does have vibration. Single handed texting doesn't work too well (unless you can thumb the on-screen keyboard with your fingernail) but single handed call use is easily possible IMO, although a screen protector is a definite prerequisite if you're going to be using fingers for this. And although I doubted its usefulness the keyboard is in fact fantastic and so helpful to have!

As for the Orange version, you could be waiting a while, and unless they bring out an offer similar to T-Mobile's Web and Walk I suspect you'll be paying more than £30p/m for a contract which gives you the phone for free.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
Given the official word is that the SPV M3000 won't come out in the UK I really wouldn't hold your breath...

Didn't they say the same about the M500 though? :)

Guest timmillwood

i went and had a look at the MDA vario, XDA mini s, SPV M3000 etc in both O2 store and T-mobile store, i think the homescreen is better on T-mobile i just dont like the big pink letters across the bottom.

so i would like it on orange, i get retailer discount because i work for currys which means half-price line rental after 3months with t-mobile but t-mobile give a few month half-price anyway, so over an 18 month contract i can get it as cheap at £189

i am tempted to wait to see what the new year brings on orange!

Guest gibster

Hi,

Before i get going, i'm new to this and never realised the size of the community surrounding the humble mobile!! quite incredible really!!!

Anyway, i had a t610 god knows how long ago, then got a c500, which i really dug! then, realising i couldn't use it with my mac, without a whole load of hassle and 3rd party software, i got a se p910i. at first, i thought it was great. seemed easy to use and some really good features. the only drwback was, from what i could see (baring in mind the only reason i had a phone was to talk to people with, thus knowledge was at a premium) the lack of decent apps. i got on with the phone for about 6 months, then, in a drunken stupor, i sat on a train on my way home from a night out, with it in my hand, and had it nicked. typical!! anyway, after a couple of days fighting with orange insuranse, they finally gave in saying they no longer had that model in stock and gave me the m500 in place.

At first, i was doubtful, but now i love it! sure, it's not g3, but if you want to take advantage of that to the fullest, you need to be in japan!!! i asure you, i spent 6 months out there!!! the cost fo running a mobile is next to nothing, and thats including all the video talk and live tv you can handle!! but anyway, i like the way it works. i only had it a few days, and i do agree the memory sucks. it need much more!!! and the camera is a bit poo aswell, but i got a didgi cam anyway, so it's not such a bother. but the usefulness of it is much better than the p910i, and it absolutely rips the s**t out of the p910i with looks!!! my boss has one and it looks totally toy town!!

sounds gay, but, i can check the weather right on my homescreen plus more, if i get hold of the apps!! can that be done on a p910i? maybe so. but i just wanted to pass o my opinion!!

cheers guys

Edited by gibster

Guest timmillwood
Hi,

Before i get going, i'm new to this and never realised the size of the community surrounding the humble mobile!! quite incredible really!!!

Anyway, i had a t610 god knows how long ago, then got a c500, which i really dug! then, realising i couldn't use it with my mac, without a whole load of hassle and 3rd party software, i got a se p910i. at first, i thought it was great. seemed easy to use and some really good features. the only drwback was, from what i could see (baring in mind the only reason i had a phone was to talk to people with, thus knowledge was at a premium) the lack of decent apps. i got on with the phone for about 6 months, then, in a drunken stupor, i sat on a train on my way home from a night out, with it in my hand, and had it nicked. typical!! anyway, after a couple of days fighting with orange insuranse, they finally gave in saying they no longer had that model in stock and gave me the m500 in place.

At first, i was doubtful, but now i love it! sure, it's not g3, but if you want to take advantage of that to the fullest, you need to be in japan!!! i asure you, i spent 6 months out there!!! the cost fo running a mobile is next to nothing, and thats including all the video talk and live tv you can handle!! but anyway, i like the way it works. i only had it a few days, and i do agree the memory sucks. it need much more!!! and the camera is a bit poo aswell, but i got a didgi cam anyway, so it's not such a bother. but the usefulness of it is much better than the p910i, and it absolutely rips the s**t out of the p910i with looks!!! my boss has one and it looks totally toy town!!

sounds gay, but, i can check the weather right on my homescreen plus more, if i get hold of the apps!! can that be done on a p910i? maybe so. but i just wanted to pass o my opinion!!

cheers guys

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so how does the M500 get on with your Mac?

i had the first Orange SPV and got onto MoDaCo as member 930 but then once i moved to Mac i moved to Nokia with the 6600. I then liked the look of the P910, but it is so fiddly to try and do anything worth while on it, so i sold it to my dad to replace his Palm.

i not have a Nokia 6630 for an in the middle phone, and looking for a new one, first liked the M500 but then saw the HTC Wizard and being an m500 but with a keyboard it seemed great.

The only thing which i dont like is that its Windows.

but missing sync will hopfully bring one out for Window mobile 5, but i dont think i will sync it with the computer, i only need a computer connect to transfer files, i can do that by just sending them via bluetooth.

TIM

Guest gibster
so how does the M500 get on with your Mac?

i had the first Orange SPV and got onto MoDaCo as member 930 but then once i moved to Mac i moved to Nokia with the 6600. I then liked the look of the P910, but it is so fiddly to try and do anything worth while on it, so i sold it to my dad to replace his Palm.

i not have a Nokia 6630 for an in the middle phone, and looking for a new one, first liked the M500 but then saw the HTC Wizard and being an m500 but with a keyboard it seemed great.

The only thing which i dont like is that its Windows.

but missing sync will hopfully bring one out for Window mobile 5, but i dont think i will sync it with the computer, i only need a computer connect to transfer files, i can do that by just sending them via bluetooth.

TIM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

I use pocketMac. It seems to do the job ok. The only trouble i had was with the mapping of fields between entourage and the m500, but it was only a few entries. so not too much bother. the one problem i do still have however is getting my powerbook to use my phone as a modem over bluetooth. not tried it with the cable, but then i've not been too keen to do that anyway. what's the point in bluetooth if you know what i mean. there is a modem script that comes with pocket mac but it doesn't seem to work too well and i'm waiting for a response from the company. i'll keep you informed.

luckily, i use mac and pc, so i get the best of both really. i use the pc for syncing contacts etc and also ms money, and the mac for everything except money. i just wish i could use the modem bits!!

otherwise, i think it's a great phone. and windows live mail is great too!!! nice feature! probably not exclusive to the phone, but i never heard of it before i had the m500. and also (as you can understand, being a mac guy and all) i think it looks great!! 8) if only it just had a jog wheel!! :) :D

Gibster

Edited by gibster

Guest timmillwood

i'm starting to think more and more, that i dont need to connect it to my computer!

when i first get the phone i can bluetooth my contacts to it from "Adress Book" on my Powermac then after that i can input my calender entires right onto the phone and dont really need to sync them with the computer, it can recive e-mails itself and so can the computer so they will be synced already. if i want any Programs, Photos, Ringtones, documents on the phone i can just bluetooth them to it.

i am just a mear student after all just looking for a cool gadget, not a business man that needs an all singing all dancing PDA.

If only Apple made a PDA phone!