XDA mini S - DO NOT BUY A FAULTY ONE!

Guest vadgamar1

Guest vadgamar1

As posted on Gears website - Coolsmartphone.com

Quick note to share the utter nightmare I’ve had with the XDA mini S.

Decided to upgrade to one from my XDA 2, which was a fantastic bit of kit. The mini S appealed because of the slide-out keyboard, and wifi.

People – stay away from this phone like the plague it’s a disaster.

It’s INCREDIBLY slow, hanging on applications for minutes on end before making the slightest change. In the two days I had it I had to soft reset 5 times, because I wasn’t getting any feedback at all.

It doesn’t like multi-tasking, and doing the most basic of actions (such as switching to contacts) takes 5 to 10 seconds. As for switching to the home screen – a good 30 seconds, and even then it’s still chugging. Dreadful phone.

Which brings me nicely on to ActiveSync 4. It doesn’t work. Niether does 4.1.

If you’re lucky to form a partnership between your device and PC (and this is pot-luck) it sits on ‘connecting’ for up to 20 minutes. In the 3 days of trying I didn’t once manage to synchronise my data to the phone (actually, I got 3 completely random contacts). The Microsoft Pocket PC website suggests a known issue with 3rd party firewalls. I don’t have one. I’m pretty computer literate, but despite my best efforts messing around with ports, the in-built firewall in XP, usb 2 and then 1.1… nothing.

Let me reiterate – MICROSOFT ACTIVESYNC 4.X DOES NOT WORK on USB connections.

Ok, so I tried a Bluetooth dongle instead. Did it work? NO.

Same issue – activesync stays on ‘connecting’ for up to an hour.

When you hit ‘stop’ on the application, the phone hangs. ARGH!

The upshot – I’ve just returned it, loaded up activesync 3.8, and have returned to my XDA 2.

Let this be a warning to those touting with the idea.

Rav

Edited by vadgamar1

Guest vadgamar1
Does sound like a duff unit...

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a shame, it's a beautiful looking phone, and had the perfect facilities for me.

I've never come across anything like this before, where it's completely illogical.

Just to add to the earlier post - I did try a hard-rest to see if the original O2 software had just not installed correstly, no joy though.

Did I mention I did a format re-install on my PC too?

I know, call me persistent.

R

Guest techdave

Yeah bad luck, ive not had any of those problems with mine either. Bit daft assuming every single device has the problems youve been experiencing with yours though...OMG DO NOT BUY THIS COZ MINE DOESNT WORK RIGHT is well OTT. Maybe your computers duff and/or youre not as computer literate as you think you are?

Guest vadgamar1
Yeah bad luck, ive not had any of those problems with mine either.  Bit daft assuming every single device has the problems youve been experiencing with yours though...OMG DO NOT BUY THIS COZ MINE DOESNT WORK RIGHT is well OTT. Maybe your computers duff and/or youre not as computer literate as you think you are?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure how to measure my technical ability.

I've owned the SPV, SPV200, Moto MPX200 and XDA 2. Never had an issue lik this, despite years of Rom upgrading. The XDA 2 happily runs 2003se, and syncs. It'll be interesting to see if a trend develops. From a google session, it appears others have had this experience too.

Guest battletank
Which brings me nicely on to ActiveSync 4. It doesn’t work. Niether does 4.1.

If you’re lucky to form a partnership between your device and PC (and this is pot-luck) it sits on ‘connecting’ for up to 20 minutes. In the 3 days of trying I didn’t once manage to synchronise my data to the phone (actually, I got 3 completely random contacts). The Microsoft Pocket PC website suggests a known issue with 3rd party firewalls. I don’t have one. I’m pretty computer literate, but despite my best efforts messing around with ports, the in-built firewall in XP, usb 2 and then 1.1… nothing.

Let me reiterate – MICROSOFT ACTIVESYNC 4.X DOES NOT WORK on USB connections.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does work - you just need to ensure your PC's DHCP Client Service is started and set to start automatically. It sounds as if this has been stopped on your PC. Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services/DHCP Client

Edited by battletank

Guest vadgamar1
It does work - you just need to ensure your PC's DHCP Client Service is started and set to start automatically.  It sounds as if this has been stopped on your PC.  Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services/DHCP Client

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did try that - MS website mentioned it.

untitled.bmp

Guest adchaffey
Yeah bad luck, ive not had any of those problems with mine either.  Bit daft assuming every single device has the problems youve been experiencing with yours though...OMG DO NOT BUY THIS COZ MINE DOESNT WORK RIGHT is well OTT. Maybe your computers duff and/or youre not as computer literate as you think you are?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! Harsh!

But you've got a point. I've bought an MDA Vario, and I'm sooo pleased with it. By far the best phone I've had, but there have been stories of people with faulty handsets. Shouldn't put people off buying one.

Guest vadgamar1
Wow! Harsh!

But you've got a point. I've bought an MDA Vario, and I'm sooo pleased with it. By far the best phone I've had, but there have been stories of people with faulty handsets. Shouldn't put people off buying one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Curious - how does the speed compare to other smartphones/pocket pc's?

Guest _Belial

Youv'e got a faulty unit mate, check out my thread when i first received my vario

http://www.modaco.com/Vario_Surely_it_can_...dl-t232111.html

I had loads of hassle with it, now i've got a new one i love it, everything works a treat, nothing crashes on me, activesync works, wifi works, bt works, gprs works, the works, it's ace

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was very disappointed with the speed until I put in the reg edits mentioned in the tips n tricks thread. Since then its been fantastic - screen switches in a second when flipping between landscape and portrait, snappy everywhere else.

Guest MitchellO

Haven't had any of the problems listed in the OP. I am extremely happy with my device. Its fast, WiFi and Keyboard are great, plenty of storage space and Activesync works fine with v4.1.

No complaints here.

Hi,

Soz ur having issues with ur MiniS.... My Vario is superb, occasional freeze, but thats usually my fault :)

Activesync is a nightmare, but thats hardly the Varios fault... I use 4.1 and my firewalls Sygate Personal... Followed the steps from MS to allow it to work, still doesn't work if enabled... So all I do is disable, sync, then re-enable and it will continue to sync til its disconnected again...

My heads-up re ur MiniS... It was the utter cr@p that is O2 Active software... Buggy as hell... A friend had a O2 Exec that was sooooo slow... Did a hard reset and stoped the install of the O2 rubbish and it flys!

Just my $0.02

Veef13

Guest adchaffey

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can only compare to my C500 really, but the vario compares well. I think it's a whole lot more reliable and the response of the thing is great. Bit slow to initially start up some applications, but a few things really show the difference in speed. In particular, for some reason when playing protected WMA files on my C500, skipping to the next track took AT LEAST 5-10 seconds which is really frustrating! On the Vario, just a second!

Great phone!

Guest vadgamar1
I can only compare to my C500 really, but the vario compares well. I think it's a whole lot more reliable and the response of the thing is great. Bit slow to initially start up some applications, but a few things really show the difference in speed. In particular, for some reason when playing protected WMA files on my C500, skipping to the next track took AT LEAST 5-10 seconds which is really frustrating! On the Vario, just a second!

Great phone!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Appreciated, thanks for hte feedback.

To prove myself wrong I'll have a replacement handset. Will let you know the outcome.

Guest vadgamar1

Couple of questions.. well three actually:

1-

Could the problems I've been experiencing be down to the O2 program install, e.g - would choosing a 'basic' or 'corporate' install over 'personal', at the phone set-up stage, be a better less-buggy option?

Referring to user review on ZDNET UK -

"The performance was poor to start with but this is due to the O2 software thats installed if you set the phone up using the 'Personal install' I'm here to tell you --don't. Use either the Corporate install or the Basic and you'll find the XDa doesn't crash and has good response times and screen refresh rates get much better."

2-

Activesync 4.1 - will this absolutely run ok with non wm2005 devices. My wife has a PDA running wm2003 which she syncs on her XP login?

3-

Would it be a better option to not get a replacement Wizard, and go for a Universal - such as XDA Exec - on the grounds it's a more capable device?

Quoting from another user on a forum -

"I have owned an O2 XDA Exec for a month, and as an all round gadget its great. As a phone it makes a good PDA. Reception even in good signal areas is about half as good as my trusted old nokia. Also the phone features, seem to cause lockups with the PDA requiring a soft reset. A Pest. WM5 also has consistant faults with redrawing its screen when flipped.

I like this piece of kit, but they could improve on its PDA/Phone integration. Its a bit like a Ferrari running on Kangaroo petrol. Lets have some updates."

Of course, a disgruntled owner is more likely to post on a forum, but the more I read up on new WM2005 devices, the more I'm put off. They seem underpowered and over ambitious. Any thoughts on trying to change that view?

Guest flashgordonv
Of course, a disgruntled owner is more likely to post on a forum, but the more I read up on new WM2005 devices, the more I'm put off. They seem underpowered and over ambitious. Any thoughts on trying to change that view?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mate

I was concerned about getting a K-Jam due to the feedback on these forums, but I bought one anyway after about a month of agonising (during which time I also bought a Nokia 9300 and an iMate SP5 smartphone - the Nokia is a great device but had synch issues where it moved all my appointments an hour back and moved all "all day" appointments back one day and the SP5 takes too long to enter data via the phone keyboard). For me, the thing has to be a reliable phone first and foremost, but I do need the PDA functionality for calendar, contacts, email via VPN, and access to spreadsheets. I went through all the reg hacks listed on HoFo, including trashing the Extended Rom and the result is a pretty stable and reliable phone / PDA. You do have to watch what software you load and be ruthless in removing anything that hints of instability. I think you also have to be vigilant and if there is a hint of your device being a lemon, take it back and get it changed for a fully functional unit. Overall, I like the device, it is my primary phone and the added PDA functionality makes it a very useful tool

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

i've said this before in other threads in the wizard forum, but its very funny how similar it is here and now to the old main forum back when the spv classic was top of the range. This phone is crap threads are rife and full of replies from people loving the devices and offering help, tips and hacks!

Incedentally, everything i've read about the o2 active software is bad, I think if you choose corporate install it doesn't install anything, then you can do everything manually by browsing to \extended rom\ in total comander, skipping, of course, the o2 active thing...

Guest Pondrew

Excellent review MitchellO.

Hate to say it though mate but the HTC Wizard is only bluetooth 1.1 compatible according to I-Mate on their official sitehere. According to their website I-Mates only Bluetooth 1.2 compatible device is the I-Mate Jam/New Jam.

Guest vadgamar1

Right, replacement machine arrived.

Charged, and installed ' corporate' O2 extended settings.

Works a dream. No problems, no lock-ups, just perfect.

So, a correction on the start of this thread.

"YES, BUY AN XDA MINI S, IT'S A GREAT PHONE, AND DOES WHAT YOU EXPECT, BUT DON'T PUT UP WITH A DUD MACHINE. IF IT'S SLOW, CRASHES, DOESN'T SYNC, SEND IT BACK."

There, I feel less guilty.

I was very disappointed with the speed until I put in the reg edits mentioned in the tips n tricks thread. Since then its been fantastic - screen switches in a second when flipping between landscape and portrait, snappy everywhere else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could you tell me what reg edits etc you did?