Bluetooth Modem on Orange under Mac OSX

Guest philtech44

Guest philtech44

I'm desperate to get my Orange SPV M5000 working as a bluetooth (or even USB) modem...

I have Orange World Access, etc.

Has anyone managed to do this ?? If so, how?!

Guest philtech44
I'm desperate to get my Orange SPV M5000 working as a bluetooth (or even USB) modem...

Has anyone managed to do this ??  If so, how?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK - lets start from the top!

has ANYONE got their Universal to work as either a bluetooth or USB modem ??

:?:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sterling_Moss
OK - lets start from the top!

has ANYONE got their Universal to work as either  a bluetooth or USB modem ??

:?:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look guys it's quite simple really. There's a 17 point guide on page 104 of the manual - easy peasy.

1. On your device, tap Start > Programs > Wireless Modem

Errr, anyone else see 'Wireless Modem' listed? No? Doh! :)

Guest philtech44

errrr. yes guys thats the easy part...

Have any of you set this up on an Apple Mac running OSX?

If so, what modem script did you use??

Anybody please....!

Guest nrj1999

I am trying to get the same thing working myself using an O2 XDA Exec and a iBook G4 but so far have only managed to get a connection established and no data transfer.

I used the advice from this website:

http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/tzones/

and the modem scripts from this one:

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/gprs.html

I'd be interested to hear if you get it working as I am stuck with the iBook saying that there is "no carrier" even though I know my account is set up for data access.

Guest Confucious

My first thought was "why don't you just get proper PCs like normnal people?" but I rrealised that wasn't being very constructive so I had a look at those sites.

I know didly squat about MACs but the thing that struck me first was the Telephone number they were useing (*99***2#) - I would be tempted to try the standard GPRS connection of *99# as this is what all carriers use as default GPRS conncetion - I don't know what the extra characters are.

Also the site for the O2 settings had IP addresses - try leaving as server asigned.

And you could try

APN (access point) mobile.o2.co.uk

User: mobileweb

Password: password

I have no idea if any of these suggestions will have any affect as I have never tried myself so I could be talking out of ny a%se....

• 1 month later...

Has anyone managed to do this ??  If so, how?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately not!

While I've had several people email me with suggestions after my recent blog post (see the comments on the post) I haven't managed to get it working. My conclusion is that the bluetooth stack is borked. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm certainly willing to have a go though...

Considering all my previous Nokia phones have worked out of the box I'm actually pretty annoyed by this problem, far more than the fact I can't sync the phone with my laptop properly...

Al.

Thought you had this solved?

Searching on google for "spv m5000" AND "mac os x" brings up a few links... yours is there too, and was going to refer you to it.

Edited by sip

Thought you had this solved? Searching on google for "spv m5000" AND "mac os x" brings up a few links... yours is there too, and was going to refer you to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I give that impression? Nope, definitely not...

While I can now register the phone's dial-up networking stack as a Bluetooth Modem, actually trying to use it gives me a "No dial-tone" error. This normally means that you're using the wrong GPRS access point, but in this case I don't think that's the problem as I don't get any indication that a bluetooth connection has actually been made (no icons appear, or any other indication that anything is going on at all). I'm stumped, and have pretty much given up.

Al.

Thought you had this solved? Searching on google for "spv m5000" AND "mac os x" brings up a few links... yours is there too, and was going to refer you to it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've just solved it, and now have my HTC Universal and Apple Powerbook talking happily with each other.

• 6 months later...
Guest sheriff77
I've just solved it, and now have my HTC Universal and Apple Powerbook talking happily with each other.

I would be very grateful if you would send/post the step by step guide of how you achieved this as i should like to do the same use the xda exec as a modem for the apple powerbook - many thanksjava script:emoticon(':huh:', 'smid_8')